Rules Update

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh
www.CHEERMaD.com
UPDATE: Earlier this evening, the USASF’s Board of Director’s announced major rules changes for the 2012-13 season in a “Critical Update-Breaking News” press release. For the most part, the changes will effect Level 5 tumbling and the length of uniforms.
I posted the full release and links to the USASF website as well as the American Association of Cheer Coaches and Administrators which made similar changes today.
My first reaction was, “Why now?” What’s the hurry in releasing these changes now. As a former investigative reporter, I can’t help but think we don’t know the whole story. What insurance company balked at covering an event? What lawsuit was filed against someone in the industry? What expose is lingering out there? The timing just doesn’t sit right with me unless the USASF wants to be able to claim full disclosure about making changes as soon as it received the statistics on injuries from event producers.

Are you listening?
For that matter, I’d think the gym owners and coaches would have a better take on the numbers of injuries as injuries don’t just happen at events.
Which brings me to my second reaction.
“Why are event producers dictating what is being done without the input of gym owners or athletes.”
There won’t be any answers tonight, but the USASF’s has its biggest challenge to date with a “Twitition;” an online petition being circulated asking people to sign and “Save Allstar cheerleading from USASF Dictators” (with a play on the word Directors). The subject went viral online and a conference call of gym owners and athletes to discuss the USASF’s announcement was attended by more than 400.

Safety First!
The industry is changing and parents are the last to know about what is being determined safe and right for our children. I’m on the USASF’s Parent Action Committee and, like the gym owners and coaches, PAC was not made aware of these changes and the reasons behind them.
Parents, let’s get as educated as we can be. And to that end, CHEERMaD will continue its quest to “Support those who support the sport.”

Back