High School Running Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

During the summer, I don't make my girls run because quite frankly, it gets too hot and it's dangerous. However, I do have the girls in a vigorous strength training and endurance program that is run by one of the football coaches. This not only keeps the girls in shape but helps keep their endurance up so they can make it through an entire competition routine without tiring them out.

I don't think running long distance really helps with routines, because routines require fast twitch muscle movements, while long distance running requires slow twitch. Meaning you are working the wrong muscles. I think sprints would be more sufficient.

during the summer my team would run 1.5 miles every practice and then once school started we would run sprints inside for about 5 minutes and we did that until we got our routine :)

During normal season, (not off- season or the more intense daily doubles before the first football games) we have practice 4 days a week, we start of in the weight room for 30 minutes, doing strength training and then we run a minimum of 1.5 miles if everyones on time, then our coach makes us basically go through our routine all out 3 times then we work on specific parts for the rest of practice. By the end of the year were in crazy shape!

We run a mile every day and condition but it doesn't have to be in a certain amount of time. A school nearby that does very well at UCA (5th place last year and 2nd the year before) has to run a mile everyday under 10 minutes in order to stay on varsity.

no. that's what my high school team does. we run an extra mile for when people are late after practice too.

We run a mile every day and condition but it doesn't have to be in a certain amount of time. A school nearby that does very well at UCA (5th place last year and 2nd the year before) has to run a mile everyday under 10 minutes in order to stay on varsity.
this year one of the requirements for tryouts was being able to run a 10 min mile as well

I make my teams run intervals at practice...so 2 laps, 3 laps or even 5 laps the next time....then we do a timed mile every 3 weeks. We just need to watch the heat in AZ....it was 114 today and 115 tomorrow.

When I cheered in college we ran a mile every other day....loved it!

At out tryouts you have to run a mile as a team in under 8 minutes. Some of you should stop being babies ;)

I was about to say, I'm out a shape and fat and I can run a mile in under 10 mins.. Now granted I'm pigeon toed / bow legged and all so it's ugly but I can still do it!! 8 sounds reasonable for anyone who is in shape and if your a cheerleader you should be able too, now I can't run mine in 8 unless a dog or the police is chasing me- but I can run it in 10!!

I remember doing cross country and thinking it would help me for comp season, it did nothing at all. I would run at least 5 miles a practice and i was still dead at the end of a routine. Doing a routine is like sprinting for 2 min & 30 sec but instead of just running you're lifting people, doing jumps, tumbling and dancing all while smiling.Like my old coach used to say, you can run as much as you want but it will never be the same as doing a routine. So they made us do 5 back to back full out routines! every week. not fun, but it helped so much!

I remember doing cross country and thinking it would help me for comp season, it did nothing at all. I would run at least 5 miles a practice and i was still dead at the end of a routine. Doing a routine is like sprinting for 2 min & 30 sec but instead of just running you're lifting people, doing jumps, tumbling and dancing all while smiling.Like my old coach used to say, you can run as much as you want but it will never be the same as doing a routine. So they made us do 5 back to back full out routines! every week. not fun, but it helped so much!
back to backs work so well for conditioning! it is one of the things that helps are team prepare so well.

back to backs work so well for conditioning! it is one of the things that helps are team prepare so well.
yeah back to backs is probably the best thing you could do, not running, not hardcore conditioning but back to back will whip you into shape!

Back