OT Saddest Movie You've Ever Seen???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I was so mad at myself for watching that because I cried so much. I bawled through the book, and it wasn't like any of it was a surprise.
Except, you know, the end...
V salty about that

My sister cried during wicked the first time she saw it. The second time she cried multiple times [emoji23][emoji23]
I cried at the beginning and the end of the last Harry Potter movie (at the midnight premiere) because I was sad it was over.
***HP spoiler alert****
I cried when Fred died and when snape died and I didn't even like snapes character.

Letters to God gets me too. Otherwise I don't cry much at movies, especially at book to movie adaptations because I already know what's going to happen. I also haven't seen most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread :oops:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The librarian in me is curious as to what you mean by this, and why Push of all novels.

Well, I'll admit I don't read a lot of novels in that genre, but because I sometimes find myself talking to people who don't "get" how generational poverty works. Their answer is always "It's not that complicated. Finish school and get yourself out of that situation."

I just felt that book reeeeeeally did a good job of making clear how hopeless her situation was. Every person in her life - black, white, male, female, failed her. It made it easier to understand how someone could just think that that's their lot in life, and not dare to try to move out if it.

Edit - as a white woman, it helped me understand some concepts I maybe didn't grasp before I read it. (thought I did, but it was still very enlightening for me)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

The librarian in me is curious as to what you mean by this, and why Push of all novels.

I think the best way to put it is the same way I feel about Fruitvale... It's horrible to say, but when I finished it, all I thought about for weeks was, "Ugh. I didn't want to know the world was like this. Knowing it on a subconscious level is one thing. *Knowing* it is different."

Well, I'll admit I don't read a lot of novels in that genre, but because I sometimes find myself talking to people who don't "get" how generational poverty works. Their answer is always "It's not that complicated. Finish school and get yourself out of that situation."

I just felt that book reeeeeeally did a good job of making clear how hopeless her situation was. Every person in her life - black, white, male, female, failed her. It made it easier to understand how someone could just think that that's their lot in life, and not dare to try to move out if it.

Edit - as a white woman, it helped me understand some concepts I maybe didn't grasp before I read it. (thought I did, but it was still very enlightening for me)

I was just curious. I have a white friend; we've been friends over 15 years. I'm probably her only black. She called me upset last month because she's having a hard time relating to a group of young(er) adults she's working with as part of an Americorp position. They're undereducated, illiterate/alliterate, generational dysfunct etc. Essentially I'm her only black friend and she's having difficulty relating to black peoples and despite the fact that my life experience is inarguably more similar to hers than "theirs" (don't get me wrong the black experience is similar regardless of socioeconomic background) she called me.

Anyway I created a bibliography of titles for her (and them) and never in a million years would have thought to include Push.

The story of Push/Precious to is something that transcends race to me. Like I can imagine her story happening in a trailer park in West Virginia to a white girl, or to a Latina in housing project in Texas, just the same as Precious in Harlem. Like I see her story happening to girls everywhere regardless of race

I'm not a big cryer (three public crying moments a year), but The Help made me cry. The movie and the book were both so beautifully written, and as a young black girl and an aspiring writer that narrative was so interesting, and felt authentic despite the author's race.

Anything 9/11 themed is a no go for me, too close to home. Remember Me messed me up. Will never watch again. If there is ever a 9/11 movie around the events at the Pentagon, I'll never watch.

TV related: Glee and One Tree Hill finales made me cry like a baby..

V salty about that

My sister cried during wicked the first time she saw it. The second time she cried multiple times [emoji23][emoji23]
I cried at the beginning and the end of the last Harry Potter movie (at the midnight premiere) because I was sad it was over.
***HP spoiler alert****
I cried when Fred died and when snape died and I didn't even like snapes character.

Letters to God gets me too. Otherwise I don't cry much at movies, especially at book to movie adaptations because I already know what's going to happen. I also haven't seen most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread :oops:

Ah yes. The end. I tried to erase that from my memory.

I'm not a big cryer (three public crying moments a year), but The Help made me cry. The movie and the book were both so beautifully written, and as a young black girl and an aspiring writer that narrative was so interesting, and felt authentic despite the author's race.

Anything 9/11 themed is a no go for me, too close to home. Remember Me messed me up. Will never watch again. If there is ever a 9/11 movie around the events at the Pentagon, I'll never watch.

TV related: Glee and One Tree Hill finales made me cry like a baby..
I was just thinking about 9/11 movies. I cannot watch them. It is still too soon for me. Anything showing the twin towers collapsing is unwatchable. The end of Remember Me just hurt.

I was just thinking about 9/11 movies. I cannot watch them. It is still too soon for me. Anything showing the twin towers collapsing is unwatchable. The end of Remember Me just hurt.

I'm in college, and a journalism major so we've discussed media of the attacks several times. My entire family was 10 mins away from Pentagon, my dad was a first responder. I can only take so much from that day. Someone told me to watch it, and I did. I literally cried the entire time.

V salty about that

***HP spoiler alert****

This mad me so sad :( he isn't perfect, but he is so misunderstood and was deprived of 99% of the love he so craved and deserved for his entire life :(

*raises wand*

I wrote out this long response, I decided to scrap it. But it had to do with the fact that at work today, for a project I'm involved with, I had to recreate small, simple greyscale illustrations of the WTC memorial fountains and the NYC skyline with the lights for the WTC in Adobe Illustrator, so naturally all my LI friends' 9/11 stories were swirling around in my head today. I wasn't even there but their stories weigh so heavy inside. And then I became overly invested in these two tiny illustrations that it took me like 5 hours to complete them because they weren't perfect enough and I needed to do these illustrations justice for my friends and their stories. It was insane. Like these things are not even 6 inches big on paper and I spent hours on them, redoing them a handful of times. I probably seemed borderline manic to my coworkers today.

Good news is the project is looking great and the WTC memorial illustrations are my favorite part and I can't wait for it to be done and to be seen by the entire team of customers :)

I saw Fruitvale Station by myself when it was theatres and had to wait until other people left because I cried so much. It's sad but honestly it's a beautiful story in the way that they told Oscar Grants last day. It really made you root for him and realized that yes he's had troubles but he was really trying. Anyway. I really recommend you just push yourself to watch

I didn't like The Lovely Bones book or movie. The book was better than the movie but the bar was already so low for me

Push I stopped reading after the second or third chapter. Sapphire is a talented writer and her imagery was too much for me to bear. I could literally smell the struggle while trying to read it. So. Nope.

Precious I didn't necessarily find sad. Just frustrating. I will never watch it again.

Fruitvale Station is on Netflix. Even though I knew how it ended I really wanted it to turn it different :( good movie about a tragic event.

Fruitvale Station is on Netflix. Even though I knew how it ended I really wanted it to turn it different :( good movie about a tragic event.

I'm going to try to watch it today! I just googled it and it sounds interesting but sad.

This isn't the saddest movie, because it isn't a sad movie, it's more of a comedy/dramedy but the 1988 movie "She's Having a Baby" has a scene for holding the record for my sobbing in a movie theatre. It seemed expertly crafted to induce weeping...the music is heart-breaking. I was a teen when I saw it on a date, and probably scared him because of my ugly cry.

completely different category but i remember the book "Death from child abuse... and no one heard" being one of the saddest books i ever read. And i remember it being apart of required school reading in like middle school.

* and crazy enough it happened in the same part of town in florida that i live in right now.

Back