All-Star Saves. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Random question but I have always wondered...what was the difference between limited and semi limited?? Was it kind of like restricted level 5 or something? It has always bothered me but I have never known lol
Semi limited didn't exist back then. Back in the dark ages, coed was Limited or Unlimited. The "limits" were strictly about the number of boys, not the number of athletes. So for example, in 09, Large Limited was up to 36 athletes with 4 or less males.

Semi limited didn't exist back then. Back in the dark ages, coed was Limited or Unlimited. The "limits" were strictly about the number of boys, not the number of athletes. So for example, in 09, Large Limited was up to 36 athletes with 4 or less males.
So what would the divisions equivalent be? Eg. Small limited-small coed?

Anyone who has a better knowledge, feel free to correct me:
Today's large coed (36 total; 18 males max.) would closely reflect unlimited coed (36 total; unlimited males).

Today's medium coed (30 total; 8 males max.) would closely reflect large semi-limited coed (36 total; 12 males).

Today's small coed (20 total; 4 males max.) would closely reflect small limited coed (20 total; 4 males max.)

The only division from the past that does not have a division today that closely reflects it is the large limited coed (36 total; 4 males).

Also, international open coed divisions were split between small and large like they are this season. However, the small division is actually today's large (24 total; 12 males max.) while the large division doesn't exist today (36 total?; 18 males? I can't remember).

It gets confusing because the size (i.e. small & large) was known to denote the total size of the team, not reflect the number of males. It was the "limited" part that determined the number of males. So when it was announced that they were bringing the small and large international open coed divisions back again this season, people thought it meant the actual size of the team not the number of males allowed. Again(and I've mentioned this a couple of times in other threads), I wish they would name it "international open semi-limited coed" and "international open limited coed" for naming convention purposes.

*P.S.: I just listed all the coed divisions I could think of, I don't remember the chronological order in which divisions started/cease to exist.

Last edited:
Anyone who has a better knowledge, feel free to correct me:
Today's large coed (36 total; 18 males max.) would closely reflect unlimited coed (36 total; unlimited males).

Today's medium coed (30 total; 8 males max.) would closely reflect large semi-limited coed (36 total; 12 males).

Today's small coed (20 total; 4 males max.) would closely reflect small limited coed (20 total; 4 males max.)

The only division from the past that does not have a division today that closely reflects it is the large limited coed (36 total; 4 males).

Also, international open coed divisions were split between small and large like they are this season. However, the small division is actually today's large (24 total; 12 males max.) while the large division doesn't exist today (36 total?; 18 males? I can't remember).

It gets confusing because the size (i.e. small & large) was known to denote the total size of the team, not reflect the number of males. It was the "limited" part that determined the number of males. So when it was announced that they were bringing the small and large international open coed divisions back again this season, people thought it meant the actual size of the team not the number of males allowed. Again(and I've mentioned this a couple of times in other threads), I wish they would name it "international open semi-limited coed" and "international open limited coed" for naming convention purposes.

*P.S.: I just listed all the coed divisions I could think of, I don't remember the chronological order in which divisions started/cease to exist.
Someone can also correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the small/large open coeds like that were only in 2008, they were brought back this year as 24 total/4 males and 24 total/12 males.
Small and large limited were split in 2009, I think I remember semi-limited being a division that year, but it wasn't at Worlds until 2010.

Before 09, small and large limited were combined only at Worlds. So Small Limited Small Coed (corresponds to current small coed) and Large Limited (no longer exists) competed in separate divisions during the year but were head to head at Worlds. In 09 they finally split the divisions.

Back