All-Star Saves. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BSB had a solid Majors save as well! When you team needs to see examples of excellence in saving your stunt, look to these stunt groups and flyers. Love it! #knowyourcounts #catchup

See 1:06

Kinda sucks that most of these great saves will now be considered building falls with new Varsity scoring clarification. " If a flyer
shifts weight/alignment onto base/spotter during a stunt” it is a .75 FALL deduction." Hope this change doesn't encourage kids not to fight for it since they are already going to be hit with a deduction.

That’s not always true. We had a team clearly come down out of a stunt while pulling a stretch, they never dropped her but she clearly came all the way down and into a pocket she put both her hands onto the side base and definitely shifted her weight. They gave it zero deductions.
On the same note, we had a team where one side of the high to high didn’t get caught. They also came down to about prep level. They stayed on time with the rest of the groups and straight cradled the flyer while everyone else doubled down. It was given a .75 dedication.
The official review from the judges stated that the first team maintained control of the flyer and therefore it was only a technique issue. The second team, did not maintain control by cradling the flyer resulting in a .75 deduction.

Kinda sucks that most of these great saves will now be considered building falls with new Varsity scoring clarification. " If a flyer
shifts weight/alignment onto base/spotter during a stunt” it is a .75 FALL deduction." Hope this change doesn't encourage kids not to fight for it since they are already going to be hit with a deduction.

Idk how they're going to enforce that since half of the worlds teams that are winning are doing so with a backspot so far up the flyers thigh you would think that they were a level 2 stunt. Does that count as a fall?

The trend the past few seasons has been: tiny 12 year old flyers, main bases short enough they should be flyers but theyre 14 so they're "too big" and base, normal sized secondary bases who put their left hand as far up the flyers calf as they can, and a backspot tall enough to grab the ankle with one hand and the thigh with another even while the stunt is extended.

Idk how they're going to enforce that since half of the worlds teams that are winning are doing so with a backspot so far up the flyers thigh you would think that they were a level 2 stunt. Does that count as a fall?

The trend the past few seasons has been: tiny 12 year old flyers, main bases short enough they should be flyers but theyre 14 so they're "too big" and base, normal sized secondary bases who put their left hand as far up the flyers calf as they can, and a backspot tall enough to grab the ankle with one hand and the thigh with another even while the stunt is extended.
I've been stung with a couple of time already this season, and so have most of my friends in the industry have similar stories. So it is being enforced. The only time you 'should' be dinged is when the flyer weights shifts out of alignment. If the stunt is supposed to be extended comes down to prep and pushes back up that would considered a fall. Also 'uncontrolled lowering' is also now considered a stunt fall

If the back just has long arms and a short flyer that wouldn't be considered a fall as long as the flyer stays in control. I don't disagree with the rule but there is way too much of a grey area and too many shady judges in these streets.

That’s not always true. We had a team clearly come down out of a stunt while pulling a stretch, they never dropped her but she clearly came all the way down and into a pocket she put both her hands onto the side base and definitely shifted her weight. They gave it zero deductions.
On the same note, we had a team where one side of the high to high didn’t get caught. They also came down to about prep level. They stayed on time with the rest of the groups and straight cradled the flyer while everyone else doubled down. It was given a .75 dedication.
The official review from the judges stated that the first team maintained control of the flyer and therefore it was only a technique issue. The second team, did not maintain control by cradling the flyer resulting in a .75 deduction.
Uncontrolled lowering of a stunt is a stunt fall, and both of the situations you listed would fall into that category. The wording I used came straight from the Varsity scoring update. Its not its not always true but its not always going to be enforced and that's the problem. Too much subjectivity, and inconsistency.

Uncontrolled lowering of a stunt is a stunt fall, and both of the situations you listed would fall into that category. The wording I used came straight from the Varsity scoring update. Its not its not always true but its not always going to be enforced and that's the problem. Too much subjectivity, and inconsistency.

So wait what about when a release move catches at the eyes and presses up? Is that a fall? Like 90% of the high to high 360 tick tock Ive seen catch at the eyes and push up..... And tons of skills have been catching like that in recent years. I don't disagree with the spirit of the rule, but why didn't they just bring back bobbles? Why is it a full fall?..

So wait what about when a release move catches at the eyes and presses up? Is that a fall? Like 90% of the high to high 360 tick tock Ive seen catch at the eyes and push up..... And tons of skills have been catching like that in recent years. I don't disagree with the spirit of the rule, but why didn't they just bring back bobbles? Why is it a full fall?..
Thats apart of the grey area IMO. I'm not sure but IMO if a realease is caught slightly low and pressed not a fall but if after a switch is caught at the top stabilizes then gets funky it could be considered a fall. Its all kind of confusing.

Also 'uncontrolled lowering' is also now considered a stunt fall
I have noticed that many coed teams "dismounts" look like this and the stunt is extended for only a half a count but no deductions. Definitely different from even two years ago where it was counted as a fall or incomplete toss nearly every time.

I have noticed that many coed teams "dismounts" look like this and the stunt is extended for only a half a count but no deductions. Definitely different from even two years ago where it was counted as a fall or incomplete toss nearly every time.

Their coaches may be saying "Dip 7, pop 8, catch 1" but all the boys are hearing is "Sweep her feet on 8 and then slow her down a little I guess"

Back