School Cheer Tryouts With No Experience?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 29, 2016
To start off, I don't really know where to go but here, so sorry for my lack of knowledge,

Anyway, so my cheer tryouts are after spring break (late April) and I have no experience and or tumbling skills. (Which is really bad.. I know)
I've asked my cheer friends ( we aren't close enough to ask for help ) what they do at tryouts and there they do a dance, a few cheers, 2 jumps (one of your choice, and a toe touch.) , and then if you can do any tumbling you can do that at the end.

Meanwhile I have trouble even holding myself up in a bridge, and my toe touch sucks because I'm having trouble rolling my hips. I really want to be on the team because I love the sport a lot, and it's the last year I can cheer in middle school. I know one girl on the team isn't very good at anything besides a bhs, and she can't do the cheers or dances even.

Does anyone have any advice and or tips to help me? I'm willing to work hard I just have no idea where to start.

Edit: posted this on a seperate forum to another person, but a lot still applies to you!

"I was the same except I started with nothing. After a couple of years though I'm a lot better.

START STRETCHING NOW. How well you perform handsprings and jumps are very dependent on how flexible you are. I've always been pretty flexible, but it took me six weeks to get to where I am now, (middle split, right side split, a bridge that actually looks decent.)

As some others have said, they look at you as an asset in the future (obviously dependent on how well you tumble now). Don't be discouraged if you're an alternate. Don't think people are attacking you, they're probably going to be talking at you like you should have an idea what you're doing, just shake it off, but try and use that criticism to your advantage.

GET STRONGER. Strength doesn't make you an amazing tumbler or stunter. It can save a stunt, or save your tumbling. Example: your bases miss their grips on a full up, but you're strong enough to lift your flyer yourself. Or, you're executing a round off handspring tuck, and it's low, but you're strong enough to force it over and land cleanly.

Injuries happen: a lot. Sprained ankles and wrists happen probably twice a year on my teams. You have to know the difference between being hurt and being injured. If you land a tuck low, you'll probably jam your ankles. It happens, get over it. You'll recover in about two minutes. Your wrist hurts? Mine hurt for six months, but I tumbled for those six months and as I got stronger it went away. You catch an elbow during a stunt? Unless you're bleeding, broke a bone, or get knocked unconscious, take a minute, get a drink, and come back ready to hit it better next time.

Finally, don't get happy with where you are. I've seen it happen. If you get your tuck, push for a layout. If you can toss a flyer to hands, try pressing to extension or lib. If you can throw a standing tuck, try to throw a jump to tuck. Always be improving, you might just motivate someone else to improve their skills."

Start by talking to the coaches. Let them know you're interested but don't know where to start. They should give you some advice. When you show up at tryouts having practiced, they'll notice. Personally, I always tell my kids that no experience is required, I will teach you everything you need to know, but it's not as likely if you're in high school. Most of my kids are brand new to cheer who they first join. Only the vets have experience.

I would also try some open gyms or tumbling classes if there are any near you. You might not get any stunting in, but you can work basic tumbling skills and jumps. If you have to do cheers, look up some great HS/college teams and learn their routines. Practice hitting just like they do, with the same arm positions, hitting them tight and not with loose arms and motions.

At tryouts, be willing to try anything (within reason - don't go for a layout if you've never tumbled) and try different spots. Be coachable and enthusiastic and positive. If you're shy/introverted, fake it anyway

To start off, I don't really know where to go but here, so sorry for my lack of knowledge,

Anyway, so my cheer tryouts are after spring break (late April) and I have no experience and or tumbling skills. (Which is really bad.. I know)
I've asked my cheer friends ( we aren't close enough to ask for help ) what they do at tryouts and there they do a dance, a few cheers, 2 jumps (one of your choice, and a toe touch.) , and then if you can do any tumbling you can do that at the end.

Meanwhile I have trouble even holding myself up in a bridge, and my toe touch sucks because I'm having trouble rolling my hips. I really want to be on the team because I love the sport a lot, and it's the last year I can cheer in middle school. I know one girl on the team isn't very good at anything besides a bhs, and she can't do the cheers or dances even.

Does anyone have any advice and or tips to help me? I'm willing to work hard I just have no idea where to start.

go on youtube and look for cheer dance tutorials and learn a couple. It may seem silly and you may think that's stupid because it won't be the dance you need to do... but if you're learning a dance at the clinic prior to tryouts, having the ability to pick up the moves and learn it quickly are extremely helpful skills to have. same for cheers. learn the basic arm motions and do some cheers in the mirror to make sure it looks clean. and just slowly work on increasing your flexibility.

tumbling doesn't have to be a back handspring; at my school tryouts we had plenty of people just do cartwheels or roundoffs if you can do either of those.

A tumbling class wouldn't hurt, but there's plenty you can do at home.

Some advice:

1. SMILE. The easiest way to boost the quality of your performance.

2. Show coachability. This will get you further than you think. Kids with no experience who are coachable are real diamonds in the rough to smaller programs. If you haven't cheered, you will likely get some corrections during clinics about things like your motions. Smile, say thank you, and actually APPLY the correction given.

3. Hit sharp motions. Again, this is the biggest "tell all" in terms of knowing who hasn't cheered before. Your motions need to really pop.

4. Point your TOES! Even if you don't have sky high jumps, having pointed toes goes a long way.

5. Yell from your diaphragm. Your voice should be projected from your belly. If you're losing your voice or it is getting scratchy trying to yell, you are yelling from the wrong place.

6. Be loud but remember to ENUNCIATE. The judges/coaches need to be able to understand what you're saying in the cheer.

7. If you need to make up your own material, keep it simple and sharp. Do not go on Youtube and base your dance on the most intricate Level 5 Worlds team dance. Please. It should be entertaining, but include sharp motions that you can actually hit. Not something that requires you to have a BFA in Dance to learn it and hit it well.

8. By all means, enroll in a class to try and build on your tumbling skills, but please don't panic and feel like you HAVE to have a BHS by tryouts.

I would highly recommend going to open gyms. They have helped me immensely.

At the beginning of January I started with not even a standing bhs and by going to open gym (and classes twice a week) I got my standing bhs on the hard floor within 2 and a half weeks. I have since bumped up my schedule to 3 classes plus open gym and I got my roundoff bhs at open gym last night and my multiple roundoff bhs at class tonight!

It's fun if you go with a friend because then you have company and can push each other to do better. Best of luck at tryouts!

Try going to local allstar gyms near you to see if they have any classes or open gyms available! Also try getting some conditioning in so when you try out you have enough stamina! Lastly, SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!! this means smile big, point your toes, have clean and tight motions, and make sure your legs are straight in any tumbling skill! hope this helps! have fun and good luck:)

Agree with the comments on motions; nothing sets a kid apart at tryouts more than clean, sharp motions.

Back