OT School Discussions!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I carried a credit in, but that evened out when I ended up dropping a class my second semester. My program was set up to require more than 15 hours a semester. I never dropped another class again, took 15 hours or more each semester and ended up having to take multiple classes every summer to graduate on time.

Props to those who can graduate early. I finished right on time and that's seemingly becoming more and more rare this days.
If I didn't take summer classes I would be a full semester behind right now. It's madness.

ETA: AAAAANDDD the summer classes that I took were so pointless to my major. Theatre 1000 and Dance 1000???? Really??

If I didn't take summer classes I would be a full semester behind right now. It's madness.

ETA: AAAAANDDD the summer classes that I took were so pointless to my major. Theatre 1000 and Dance 1000???? Really??
Yep took them every summer or I would have been there at least an extra semester. I took public speaking at a local tech school going into my sophomore year, two online classes going into my junior year (history and english I want to say) and then before senior year I took a Maymester and a Summer I course, both within my minor at USC. They were sticklers about letting non-majors sign up for classes within that program so I finally had enough seniority to get in early in the summer once I was academically a senior.

Summer classes are (usually) fantastic GPA boosters, but everything else about them kinda sucked.

How many credits are usually needed to graduate from college? My university requires 126 hours which seems kind of random to me. And a certain amount of those hours are required to be 3000 or 4000 level classes, but I can't remember how many. I have a couple friends that will graduate a semester early, but I can't imagine ever wanting to do that. I only need 21 hours between this semester and next semester to graduate but I'm taking 16 each semester because why not torture myself [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many credits are usually needed to graduate from college? My university requires 126 hours which seems kind of random to me. And a certain amount of those hours are required to be 3000 or 4000 level classes, but I can't remember how many. I have a couple friends that will graduate a semester early, but I can't imagine ever wanting to do that. I only need 21 hours between this semester and next semester to graduate but I'm taking 16 each semester because why not torture myself [emoji58]

60 credit is a General AA or AS
120 is generally the Bachelor's equivalent.

for my specific major, nursing, it's 132 credits to graduate...but each major requires a different number at my school-typically ranging between 124-135 credits

Thank you! I shouldn't be allowed to post when I'm wallowing in self-pity. I was upset last night but I'm good now! Your story really made me feel better. That's so what college is all about (making friends because you both know the struggle [emoji23]) My closest acquaintances are all in my classes right now, so if we all stay on the same track I don't see any reason for us not to become friends.
(This is an unrelated rant) Reading all the posts about AP and honors classes almost make me miss high school. I think every college freshman has to come to the realization that it is nothing like it was a year ago. I was that kid who was super popular, did exceptionally well in all my honors and gifted classes, and had the highest standardized test scores in my class by a large margin. Now I'm in college and I'm coping with the fact that I'm average. Not even above average, in my college honors classes. Just average. (And my social skills are below average, apparently [emoji23]) The ACT score, the presidential scholarships, homecoming queen... It doesn't matter now. I wish I could figure out a way to relate this to every high school student who has been told all their life that they're special, or that they're going to always be outstanding... You're not. I know that's harsh but, yeah. I've had to do some soul searching lately to figure that out, but now that I have I'm just deciding what to do next.
If it makes you feel any better (or at least gives you some perspective), former cp has already transferred out of Honors Chem to regular chem and it is still challenging, changed her mind about being pre-med, decided she hates BioChem, and changed from the science college to the human/health development college where she thinks she'd like to study nutrition. She's also had a single for the past almost 2 weeks since the horrible roommate with noise hypersensitivity moved out (new one moving in any day now and it's a friend), and she's also having a hard time with Calc I after having taken AP Calc last year in high school and graduating with an IB diploma.

College can definitely be a humbling experience. Hang in there - you will find your people and your niche. It takes longer for some than others, but you really will.

for my specific major, nursing, it's 132 credits to graduate...but each major requires a different number at my school-typically ranging between 124-135 credits
For industrial engineering I need 128. I can't imagine coming in with nothing because the plan for coming in with nothing is the first three semesters 16 hours, fourth 18, fifth and sixth 15, seventh 17, eighth 15. Your fourth semester is six 3-hour courses including differential equations... No thank you. I'm so glad I took Calc, Stat, English, and Psych in HS which take care of some of my electives so I don't have to take the full planned courseload every semester because that sounds absolutely terrible. I came in listed as a sophomore and I'm still going to have full 14 or 15 credit hour schedules almost every semester and 16 this semester.

I'm a little under a semester behind. I didn't come in with any credits. Taking spring and summer courses will put me a little over where I'm supposed to be and I planned on doing it regardless so whatever.

In other news as of today I've been back in school for a month and I am so miserable. All I do is go to class and study between classes and study after classes. I have all As right now but I feel so behind. Upper level classes are no joke and I do not want to do them anymore ever again

My major is 128 credits and I think most of them at my school are too. Our classes are 4 credits each with a couple 2 credit ones, so everyone takes 16 a semester and if they have a 2 credit one that's needed it bumps you up to 18. I normally have taken a lighter load, with one semester at 13, one at 12, one at 14, and this semester I'm taking 18. Two of the semesters I took less was because I ended up dropping a class. Those semesters I was originally at 17 and 18. I'm still managing to graduate on time with a minor because I took three summer courses so everything evened out.

The fact that you've figured all of that out so quickly is a testament to why you're not just average, you're actually quite wise! Maybe not academically the way you used to be or socially like it was, but cognitively (consciously and unconsciously) you've learned something much quicker than your peers!
Thank you. I know I can't really explain how much this means to me, but just know I teared up reading your post while drinking my 3rd cup of coffee today (first chemistry test, lol).
Not to be a Debbie downer but that "you're just average" thing continues into real adult life. Of course there are ways to stand out and find little successes within what you're doing but largely you are just average. I don't think being in Honors/AP really means anything once you're out of school. And just because you were never selected for those classes in school doesn't mean you won't excel in real life.

I was never accepted into the honors classes in school (thanks to 7th grade math) and I had a lot more achievements in college than all my friends who were in honors classes in HS.

I think making children believe they are special puts them at such a disadvantage when they get into the real world. The majority of us will "average out" at some point.
Yeah, I'm starting to see that. I know everyone "plateaus" eventually, and that's totally cool with me now. I feel like as long as your happy and contributing to society, you're successful. I have this terrible habit of comparing myself to others instead of focusing on personal improvements, and that's something I'm still working on.
I also agree 100% with you on the making kids believe they're special thing. I was that kid, and even then I could see how it could ruin you. That's what is wrong with our generation, everyone thinks their child is the greatest in the world, and the kids end up with a sense of entitlement that they go through life with and will eventually pass on to their own kids. It's a vicious cycle :/
If it makes you feel any better (or at least gives you some perspective), former cp has already transferred out of Honors Chem to regular chem and it is still challenging, changed her mind about being pre-med, decided she hates BioChem, and changed from the science college to the human/health development college where she thinks she'd like to study nutrition. She's also had a single for the past almost 2 weeks since the horrible roommate with noise hypersensitivity moved out (new one moving in any day now and it's a friend), and she's also having a hard time with Calc I after having taken AP Calc last year in high school and graduating with an IB diploma.

College can definitely be a humbling experience. Hang in there - you will find your people and your niche. It takes longer for some than others, but you really will.
It does makes me feel better to know that someone else took the hardest classes offered at their school and is still struggling! It does suck for a little while, and for most of my first two weeks I had legit anxiety attacks from feeling so unprepared for everything. All things considered I got pretty lucky! The honors program at my school gives you priority scheduling so I got the highest rated teachers in basically all my classes. So every time I start to get overwhelmed like that again I just remind myself how much worse a place I could be in, and that usually works [emoji28]
I'm glad your cp got her roommate situation worked out! I read about it in the roommate rant thread- that must have sucked. I hope things get better for her too! She must be super smart to have done so well in the classes she did, so I'm sure once she gets adjusted she'll be great! (And I understand; that's easy to say about everyone else but it's hard to believe about yourself!)

School in Slovenia is different. You go to school when you are 6 years old (elementary school ) and high school at 15. We have grades in numbers from 1 to 5. 1 is bad grade which means you haven't pass and 5 is best grade ( like A in US) In high school we have regular high school which in the hardest and proffesion high school (like hairdresser, economist, teacher, musician, dentist, nurse,...) so when you graduate high school you have a proffesion. At the end of senior year you have 4 exams you have to pass to go to college. (Slovenian language, math/english, and you pick 2 subject you like) I passed matura with grade 3 which is good but could be a lot better. When you are a senior you have prom where you dress nice and you dance ( you have dance lessons every week 2 months before prom where you learn dances like tango, cha cha cha,... ) and at the prom eveyone dance together. But no homecoming, no football games, no cheerleading in high school like in USA.
Than the main difference in college is college here is FREE!! yes, government pays for college (except if you study online like I do...than you have to pay around $2500 for a year). You pick your majors ( but it doesn't have to be the same as in HS. So for example I studies economic in high school and now my major is addministration) books are also waaay cheaper. I just paid $7 for a book I need in class. We usually have around 8 classes ( 4 in semester ) and in January we have finals for every subject. Dorms are usually around $100/ month. But we don't have college games, cheerleading, greek life and university is not like one big city where everything thing is in one place. Faculties are all across the city.

School in Slovenia is different. You go to school when you are 6 years old (elementary school ) and high school at 15. We have grades in numbers from 1 to 5. 1 is bad grade which means you haven't pass and 5 is best grade ( like A in US) In high school we have regular high school which in the hardest and proffesion high school (like hairdresser, economist, teacher, musician, dentist, nurse,...) so when you graduate high school you have a proffesion. At the end of senior year you have 4 exams you have to pass to go to college. (Slovenian language, math/english, and you pick 2 subject you like) I passed matura with grade 3 which is good but could be a lot better. When you are a senior you have prom where you dress nice and you dance ( you have dance lessons every week 2 months before prom where you learn dances like tango, cha cha cha,... ) and at the prom eveyone dance together. But no homecoming, no football games, no cheerleading in high school like in USA.
Than the main difference in college is college here is FREE!! yes, government pays for college (except if you study online like I do...than you have to pay around $2500 for a year). You pick your majors ( but it doesn't have to be the same as in HS. So for example I studies economic in high school and now my major is addministration) books are also waaay cheaper. I just paid $7 for a book I need in class. We usually have around 8 classes ( 4 in semester ) and in January we have finals for every subject. Dorms are usually around $100/ month. But we don't have college games, cheerleading, greek life and university is not like one big city where everything thing is in one place. Faculties are all across the city.
As it should be.
I have family and friends in Australia and various parts of Europe and they don't pay anything up front for college. In Aus they eventually have to pay the government back, but it's still only about $7000–9000 a year, and students only have to pay once they get above an income threshold (about $55000 per year). It's SO MUCH BETTER. And I am so jealous.

As it should be.
I have family and friends in Australia and various parts of Europe and they don't pay anything up front for college. In Aus they eventually have to pay the government back, but it's still only about $7000–9000 a year, and students only have to pay once they get above an income threshold (about $55000 per year). It's SO MUCH BETTER. And I am so jealous.
Is that money you pay back just for tuition or does that include living expenses too? I was lucky enough to pay a lot less than that per year for college tuition in the US, but adding in rent, food, etc is a different story. I like that you don't have to pay it back until you're making a certain amount. Here you can wait a little while to start paying it back, but usually only like a year or so max after you graduate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back