High School School Tryouts, No Sideline Experience

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Couple things to help you out-

1. Natural Makeup- Make sure she has a nice clean look that makes her look clean and polished! This goes with hair too- Don't use as much hairspray or glitzy things as you would for all-star in the hair either, make it look natural!
2. Tell her to be as charismatic as possible! I dont know if they do an interview, but throughout the entire tryout and practices, tell her to sell her personality. As a cheerleader, she's a major respresentative of her school, and they are looking for leaders and mature girls for the team, as well as future captains!
3. Go on to youtube, look up some high school cheers and even some competition routines. Have her learn a couple cheers so she gets a feel for the difference between game cheering and saying an all-star cheer in a routine.
4. Only have her throw tumbling that she can definitely land. Coaches are looking for sharp, well-executed passes that they can rely on the cheerleaders to throw and land. Don't give them false hope/ a reason to put her on JV/freshman if she were to lose the skill for not hit it consistently after getting lucky at a tryout.
5. You said they have 6 hrs of practice before the tryouts- have someone record a video of a cheerleader that has already made varsity doing the dance, fight song, ect- whatever they will perform at tryouts. Then she knows what she needs to look like to make the team, and before tryouts, can practice outside of practice.
6. Definitely ask the coach for what they are looking for when they score- that only shows that you and your daughter are super committed to the team and are striving for that spot! A good coach would respect that!

If I think of anything else, I'll post it :) Good luck!

This is just going off my experience in HS tryouts but Im sure most schools are similar Good Luck!!

1. Tumbling- highschools in general are weaker in tumbling so just make sure whatever your CP throws she can do confidently on grass/football field.
2. Jumps- usually a large portion of the score, since HS teams incorporate them into alot. Make sure she has pointed toes and nice arm motions, since HS is basic.
3. Voice - volume/ability to project, enunciation, etc.- Tell her to use her diaphragm, at a football game, yelling from your throat will leave you with a sore throat and no voice the next day. The judges want to be able to pick her voice out from everyone elses.
4. Facial expressions (not like "fierce" facials but more like lifted eyebrows & smiles?)- Natural smiles and enthusiasm. During games they will be excited but also upset at times, so a overall confident complexion is important.
5. Stunting- Probably the most important. Make sure she is confident in what stunt she is trying out as. Nothing is worse then falling because they are scared.
6. Dance- Also another thing HS uses alot. Make sure everything is crisp and clean. Its not fierce hairwhips like in allstar lol
7. Appearance in general (makeup? no makeup?)- very clean and classic. Usually tucked in shirt and light makeup, but still done up.

I wish. I don't know how she did it because I for one cannot cheer without a ridiculously over sized sparkly Minnie Mouse cheer bow. :) Congratulations to her

She did wear a bow, but it was a rather understated sparkly orange one (if there is such a thing.) She'll be at CCA for camp in Aug :)

Thank you so much! Great info!
I just found out that one of the judges last year was the track coach. Wow. He apparently does it in order to scope out the jumps and see who would be good at hurdles...The cheer coach did tell us that it will be other school team's coaches judging, as in from a nearby non-rival school.
I wasn't going to let her in that gym with glitter on her eyes, but man, how can she cheer without a ridiculous, oversized Minnie Mouse bow???
My school team wears the tiniest of tiny cheer bows imaginable. Just to spite the tradition, I wore a huge honkin bow to tryouts! Still made the team though ;)

Back