All-Star Scorpions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mndl

Cheer Parent
Feb 3, 2015
So CP is a pretty flexible kid, she can do a lovely heel stretch, a good bow and arrow and a nice scale. However her scorpion is just bad, a dorito at its best. Her goal is to get a decent one, but I don't know if it's bad shoulder flexibility, (she can just barely grab her ankle), or bad back flexibility. Any suggestions for stretches? I don't want her to hurt her back trying to do something that honestly might not be possible for her.

I really recommend the Gabi Butler stretching video (the one where she was young) for stretching scrops. It helped take me from Dorito to a really good Scorp back in the day. Also stretching in the door way really helps with scorps and doing splits reaching to her back leg. The most important part with stretching for scrops is to go slow and not to push yourself too far since backs are very easy to pull muscles in. Also be consistent! Stretching once a week won't yield results.

In addition to stretching before, also recommend stretching right after cardio (or at the end of practice). It's a great way to cool down and I've found it more beneficial and I get better results. I don't cheer anymore but I always stretch out right after a run or being on the elliptical.

Please be careful with stretching for Scorps. Our coaches usually want to supervise the girls stretching for this in the beginning to ensure they are using proper technique and stretching both sides equally. Is there a coach she can ask for some techniques?

I'll ask her coach if he has any suggestions. I'm very paranoid about back issues so it's not something I want her to mess around with, I'd rather her have an ugly scorpion than a bad back. She always stretches both sides when she does any kind of stretching at home and will continue to do so. She's not looking to get a needle or anything close to that, just a better one than she has now.

Be really conscious of what direction her knee cap and shoe laces are facing. They should facing directly behind her and not to either side. If the knee is turned out you're stretching her side not back and thats not healthy for her spine.

Contrary to what you see even at worlds, any back flexibility should have the knee cap facing backwards. This includes scales!! It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine and it's not good for your back.

Be really conscious of what direction her knee cap and shoe laces are facing. They should facing directly behind her and not to either side. If the knee is turned out you're stretching her side not back and thats not healthy for her spine.

Contrary to what you see even at worlds, any back flexibility should have the knee cap facing backwards. This includes scales!! It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine and it's not good for your back.

I never actually knew this, thanks for sharing! As a flyer with very mediocre flexibility I always got twinges in my side when stretching my scorps, I'll for sure keep this in mind!

This is a great piece of advice, and something I "knew" from dance, but never thought about in connection with cheer.

I never actually knew this, thanks for sharing! As a flyer with very mediocre flexibility I always got twinges in my side when stretching my scorps, I'll for sure keep this in mind!

No problem! I was one of those backspots that had a scorpion for no reason and I used to have the same side soreness. I see little girls sometimes do needles with their leg against their back and the knee is completely turned out to the front and it hurts me, I keep trying to think of a not rude way to tell their parents lol

This is a great piece of advice, and something I "knew" from dance, but never thought about in connection with cheer.

I was the same, I had a coach who used to be a dancer tell that to a flyer and I remember being like "omg why didn't I think of that!" But until it was said to me I didn't think anything of it either, I just figured it was "cheer technique" lol

Yes, kind of like this? Shoe laces to the front and hugging the knee close? I used to think this was how it was meant to be done!

images

Yes, kind of like this? Shoe laces to the front and hugging the knee close? I used to think this was how it was meant to be done!

images

Yep! I don't want to write a novel if no one is interested but when I was coaching acro I learned A LOT about flexibility. I talked to some rhythmic coaches and the head coach of my program had been in acro gymnastics for forever and they basically re-taught me how to think about flexibility and how to get my tops flexible. Its not as easy as pulling a scorpion over and over until it's there and it takes some patience, but at the end of the day I truly believe it is much less stressful for you back and longterm healthier for the flyer.
If anyone is interested just let me know!

Yep! I don't want to write a novel if no one is interested but when I was coaching acro I learned A LOT about flexibility. I talked to some rhythmic coaches and the head coach of my program had been in acro gymnastics for forever and they basically re-taught me how to think about flexibility and how to get my tops flexible. Its not as easy as pulling a scorpion over and over until it's there and it takes some patience, but at the end of the day I truly believe it is much less stressful for you back and longterm healthier for the flyer.
If anyone is interested just let me know!

Interested!

Back