Senior Age And World’s Age Eligible Age

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by mama2twinsplus1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I thought of this and I think it will be an issue for small & medium sized gym. Example: 12 year old Suzy has level 1 skills. The gym usually only has Y1 & S1. Now they have to make a J1 or Suzy can't be on a team.

It would be logical to up youth to 12 and junior to 15. And mini to 9. (I've been saying that since like a year ago.)

2. Newishcheermama

Newishcheermama I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I like this idea, though in that case, it would be best to up the minimum ages as well. Mini 5-9, Youth 7-12 and Junior 10-15 or something like that. Because a team with 6 or 7 year olds and 13-15 year old on it would be a nightmare IMO.

3. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Said it before but I'd love the age grid to be similar to school grade-ish in age.

Mini - Pre-K to K-ish. (I have no idea what Mini's max age is right now but 4-6ish,)
    Youth - Elementary so somewhere like 5/6 to 10.
    Junior - Middle so 11-13
    Senior - High School aged so 14-18/19.

4. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    But there's gotta be some overlap. Because otherwise making stunt groups work will be harder. Example: some 8 year olds are flyers on youth teams while other 8 year olds are bases on mini. Some 13 year olds are flyers on Sr, some base on Jr.

Also it would be harder for smaller gyms to make teams work with your rules.

5. Newishcheermama

Newishcheermama I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Without some overlap, small gyms would be SOL, but I definitely agree with the premise of keeping it around the same age ranges as school, maybe something like:

Tinys (3-6)
    Minis (5-9)
    Youth (7 or 8 -12)
    Junior (10 or 11-15)
    Senior (14-18)

That way you've got 1 or 2 years of overlap in each age range, which provides enough flexibility to account for varying skill levels and maturity, but doesn't stick really young kids with much older ones.