High School Seniors W/ College Cheer Goals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'll be interested to hear your opinion on this... How do you deal with athletes who have unrealistic expectations and goals? I.e. the 140 lb main base who wants to cheer at UK or the noodle flyer without a BHS who thinks she's going to make Louisville's team?

This, be honest. I am shocked how many people are not honest. If you are 140 pounds, but extremely tight, squeeze, and hold your own body weight up you still won't fly on a popular competitive coed cheer team like Kentucky. At the college level there are many 90 something pound girls who also squeeze tight and hold their own body weight. You will be competing against the best of the best. The 97 pound wet noodle also won't fly. The tight, sharp 97 pound girl will. And there will be many of them to pick from. You can also recommend they visit college cheer clinics. Most College Coaches will give honest feedback.

This, be honest. I am shocked how many people are not honest. If you are 140 pounds, but extremely tight, squeeze, and hold your own body weight up you still won't fly on a popular competitive coed cheer team like Kentucky. At the college level there are many 90 something pound girls who also squeeze tight and hold their own body weight. You will be competing against the best of the best. The 97 pound wet noodle also won't fly. The tight, sharp 97 pound girl will. And there will be many of them to pick from.

This, be honest. I am shocked how many people are not honest. If you are 140 pounds, but extremely tight, squeeze, and hold your own body weight up you still won't fly on a popular competitive coed cheer team like Kentucky. At the college level there are many 90 something pound girls who also squeeze tight and hold their own body weight. You will be competing against the best of the best. The 97 pound wet noodle also won't fly. The tight, sharp 97 pound girl will. And there will be many of them to pick from. You can also recommend they visit college cheer clinics. Most College Coaches will give honest feedback.
Yup. I think some of these situations stem from coaches being uneducated or out of touch. Said 140 lb flyer had a coach encouraging her to try out for UK. -_-

I see it more from parents and posters on the boards. I recently asked a College Cheer Coach of a winning team for opinion of a larger flyer squeezing extremely tight and getting an advantage over a smaller flyer who also squeezes tight. The reply was haven't met one yet that can squeeze so tight the numbers magically go down on a scale, stand on a scale normal, then re weigh while squeezing , do the numbers on the scale change

Years ago I coached a girl who was definitely a base or a back, and she was convinced she was going to be on a coed team in college and I said, you will cheer in college but it would be all girl. Well, she does cheer for a successful NCA All Girl team. When she was at stunt fest she did toss hands, extension.. and sent me a pic saying she flew coed, I said I had no doubt in my mind that you couldn't fly coed, but being a daily coed flyer on a coed team is completely different.

Hypothetically, say Kentucky Blue squad coed Team has 2 flyers graduating, opening up 2 flyer spots. Girls will fly from all over to go for those 2 coveted spots. Then, you also have some girls already on the white squad who might compete for that spot. It is very competitive.

I see it more from parents and posters on the boards. I recently asked a College Cheer Coach of a winning team for opinion of a larger flyer squeezing extremely tight and getting an advantage over a smaller flyer who also squeezes tight. The reply was haven't met one yet that can squeeze so tight the numbers magically go down on a scale, stand on a scale normal, then re weigh while squeezing , do the numbers on the scale change

But - its easier to hold the flyer who knows how to squeeze. It has been stated before in the "too big to fly/ your daughter wont fly forever" threads - all things equal YES the smaller will have the advantage. But all things are never equal. Does that mean 175lbs Suzie will have a chance to fly... No, but is it impossible to have a very technically sound 125lbs flyer compete elite stunts.. also no.

At College Cheer tryouts for popular co ed teams you will have many small flyers who know how to squeeze. They move to be on these "elite" teams.

There is a maturity with being older. Most experienced 18 year old flyers of all sizes, know how to squeeze.

Last edited:

Agree completely, but that doesn't mean there aren't very successful schools where they could fly. Like don't tell them to give up flying but also don't tell them that if they worked hard enough they could fly at kentucky even though they're 5'8 and don't tumble lol. Try to steer them to a realistic school.

Yes, for example my daughter hopes to fly in College. She will probably end up about 5'4. She won't focus on Kentucky, but will be looking at possibly Sam Houston University. They have a great nursing school, aren't too far from home (no out of state tuition), and have both a Coed (first choice) and All Girl team (2nd choice) team. She is looking at realistic options, that are also fun and exciting.

Last edited:
Back