All-Star Should I Switch Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@glitterbows_pointedtoes, After reading your posts and messages from other posters, I am never going to tell someone to switch gyms, but I think if you need to ask this question that should be a strong indication of what you should do...

I will advise you to sit down and make a pros/cons list and what exactly you want from a gym and whether it is possible to achieve these things at your present gym... If you are able to progress, than stay and if not, switch gyms...
PS: It is possible you just outgrown your present gym and need to move to improve on your skills or remain stagnant...

From my experience quite similar to yours switch gyms it's extremely hard especially when it's like family BUT if that gym doesn't fit your skills it's not worth it I did that for one season and severely struggled the next season and almost quite the sport I live for because the situation was that stressful and gym 1 has lots of signs of a struggling gym I had to end up driving 30-45 minutes (traffic depending) to my current gym it's was the best decision I'm happy there my skills have been so improved in ONE season (barley level 3 now I'm borderline level 5 this is huge for me because I've had to work extremely hard at tumbling) also I was on the team/level I should have been and made great friendships and we placed well at comps over it was more organized and professional!!
Listen to your mom and move gyms

So it seems like I know what I need to do. Tryouts at new gym are on Monday and I want to give it a go. But, now what's worrying me is HOW am I supposed to leave my gym. The thought of telling my coach that I'm switching gyms makes me feel PHYSICALLY sick. Should I tell her at my practice this weekend? Should I give her a gift or something? Do I even show up? Can I get mum to do it instead? I don't even want to tell her face to face. I am soooo scared.
Although there are some major problems with the gym I'm at, the truth is that my coach gave me passion for the sport and really helped me develop my confidence. I'd feel terrible for leaving. And what am I supposed to say when she asks me WHY I'm leaving? I can't tell her the truth (that I need to be in an organised environment with better quality coaching).

To make it worse, no-one really talks about the big-name gym. It's like the elephant in the room at my gym. We all know it's there, but pretend it doesn't exist. Moving there is kind of a big deal, and I know that people would look down on me for switching gyms; to be honest I don't really care. Just don't like the idea of being the source of gossip at the gym.

But my sister is is good friends with the coaches daughter and son. She's also friends with others who cheer at the gym. She's only eight,but she's expressed to me that she'd be worried about what her friends will say if she doesn't start cheer at the gym like she said she was going to.
I told her to not worry about losing friends- if they start hating on her because of this, then they're not her real friends, right?

Last edited:
So it seems like I know what I need to do. Tryouts at new gym are on Monday and I want to give it a go. But, now what's worrying me is HOW am I supposed to leave my gym. The thought of telling my coach that I'm switching gyms makes me feel PHYSICALLY sick. Should I tell her at my practice this weekend? Should I give her a gift or something? Do I even show up? Can I get mum to do it instead? I don't even want to tell her face to face. I am soooo scared.
Although there are some major problems with the gym I'm at, the truth is that my coach gave me passion for the sport and really helped me develop my confidence. I'd feel terrible for leaving. And what am I supposed to say when she asks me WHY I'm leaving? I can't tell her the truth (that I need to be in an organised environment with better quality coaching).

To make it worse, no-one really talks about the big-name gym. It's like the elephant in the room at my gym. We all know it's there, but pretend it doesn't exist. Moving there is kind of a big deal, and I know that people would look down on me for switching gyms; to be honest I don't really care. Just don't like the idea of being the source of gossip at the gym.

But my sister is is good friends with the coaches daughter and son. She's also friends with others who cheer at the gym. She's only eight,but she's expressed to me that she'd be worried about what her friends will say if she doesn't start cheer at the gym like she said she was going to.
I told her to not worry about losing friends- if they start hating on her because of this, then they're not her real friends, right?
Be honest and tell your coach. Leave on good terms and hope for the best from them. There will probably be talk but do what's right for YOU!

Again, you are mirroring our situation. We had a handful of athletes leave our gym at the end of the season to go to another well known gym. My daughter had no intentions of leaving. Then, as I mentioned, she was so stressed she decided to not tryout at all, anywhere. So having to tell the owner and her coach that she would not be returning (after 5 years), was really hard. It was an email I wasn't expecting to send. I sent it via email because it was the night before evals and I needed to get it over with. Things were already tense because of the others leaving and then we decided to not return. But we had to do what was best for her. You know what? My daughter final realized it's her cheer career, not theirs (the gym). She had to do what was going to be in her best interest. As I said, she has found her joy in this sport again and isn't stressed anymore.

I am not sure of your age but I think it needs to come from your parent. They pay the bill and they can be firm.

Although there are some major problems with the gym I'm at, the truth is that my coach gave me passion for the sport and really helped me develop my confidence. I'd feel terrible for leaving. And what am I supposed to say when she asks me WHY?
Tbh, it is admirable of you to be concerned about the coaches' feelings, but when you stated upfront that your Mom wanted to make this move for the family and felt it was time for you to move, in order to progress... As a Mom, I will suggest you placed the emphasis that it was the parent making the decision to the coaches, if you are asked why the switch and/or even express to the coaches what you need (level 2 team) and what is lacking in their gym... I want you to realize, there is is nothing personal in your leaving/switching, this is a business decision... Unfortunately, in order to fulfill your goals in a sport, these things are necessary... Good Luck!

PS: Hmm, I am wondering if a true level 3/4 athlete walked in their gym during or after tryouts and the coaches must decide between you or this athlete for that last spot on that team...Will they choose you, because of loyalty and send this better athlete packing? Well, whatever your answer to this question should tell you whether the gym feel the same way about you...Business decision or Personal decision?

Last edited:

I would consider taking your mom with you to take part in the talk with your coach. I don't think gifts are necessary. It would be best to do it sitting down. Is there a time on a non practice day you could all meet to discuss? Otherwise I'm not sure if it would be best to do it before or after practice.

I would say that you are thankful for everything and that you enjoyed your time with them but the gym was no longer the right fit for your family. You mentioned your mom wanting to switch so maybe have her talk some here. Keep it short and sweet. You don't need to go into too much detail. I would prepare yourself for some negativity/ a hurt reaction from the current gym. I've heard of people at struggling small program lashing out at those who choose to leave. If that happens please don't let it get to you. It has more to do with them than with you. Also just ignore the gossip from your former teammates. If you are really worried about gossip you may need to unfollow/mute them on social media until you see fit. It shouldn't be dramatic but sometimes people can't seem to help themselves.

You are very right about people who start hating after you leave not being true friends. Good luck talking with your gym and I hope you have a better experience at the new gym.

Just explain to her that for you and your family the other gym would just be a better fit at the moment it's nothing she did wrong and that you love her and the gym very much and that's it's gonna hurt you to leave but you have to do what's best for you and your family she will understand and if she doesn't then she doesn't really care about your growth in the sport and as for the other people it's none of there concern what you are doing the only thing that matters is that you are happy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot be responsible for anyone's reaction, only for your own actions. If you feel this coach is the one who was instrumental in developing your love for cheer, then I think telling her in person with your mom (even if your mom does all the talking) is the right way to do it. You can just say this gym just isn't the right fit for you any longer. You do not need to go into detail. Keep it short and sweet, thank them for everything, and then unfollow everyone related to your old gym from all social media so you do not need to see if anyone is saying anything negative.

Chances are, regardless of how you leave, you will be the source of some gossip. Be prepared for it and know it is not a reflection on you but on them.

I think I know what the second gym you're talking about (and even possibly your current one?) I'd say try out at gym 2, see how you feel during the session- personally I think they will give you the chance to progress naturally and not put you in situations where it's not fun and you feel like it's dangerous- you'll have to let us know what you decide to do!xo

Talk to your mom and ask her to tell them. She is the one who suggested it to you. She is the one who pays the bills for this. I am sure if you tell her everything you told us that she will be happy to do it.

Back