Should Parents Be Held Accountable For Their Actions?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Ok so as we all know typically athletes are held accountable for what they say or post when it comes to team placements(competitions, tryouts, etc.) but should the parents also be held to the same standard? For example if a parent goes on Facebook, Twitter, instagram, or whatever social media and goes on a rant because sally Mae made the worlds level 5 team, but her daughter did not. How about when a parent goes on a rampage and rant about placements at a competition, say for insist team abc beat xyz, fair and square, but psycho cheer mom goes on Facebook degrading the team that won, and going on about how the winners didn’t deserve it and that her child’s team was robbed.
    I have seen a lot of cases like this for this season already and it’s only showcase time, and it’s just said. Since when did cheer get so serious that parents feel the need to threaten, attack, and bully people on other teams and at other gyms...and kids at that. No adult should ever threaten the r bully a child...especially over cheerleading.

2. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    i think the owner of the gym they belong to should definitely do something! They represent their gym...........I am sure their kid is embaresed too! She will only keep on going all season if not taken care of asap.

3. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Exactly...im so thankful that my former gym did not tolerate such behavior. Im also thankful that for the most part we never really had any of the psycho crazy cheer parents, but I think that was because the parents knew that their would be repercussions for their actions.

4. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I've seen COACHES go on Twitter and lose their minds about their teams not winning, and how they "deserved" to win and are the "real winners". So if coaches think it's ok to do that I don't see why they would hold parents or athletes accountable :eek:

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yes, but it won’t be resolved any time soon. Not when you consider that telling a parent to tone down their social media behaviour might be seen as 1) you questioning their parenting skills, and 2) you alienating a client who might pull their kid and their money from your gym if they’re offended by your request. It’s just such a minefield that can blow up in your face with just one wrong word.

Fortunately I have really good parents that seem to adhere to the “class act” mantra pretty strictly, both in real life and on social media. Which is important to me because 1) they’re teaching their kids by example, and 2) it’s just SO UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN GROWN ADULTS FIGHT. When I was a kid, my old dance studio could at times have been an episode of Dance Moms. With the screaming and fighting amongst the moms in the dressing room, it was so uncomfortable to be around. I just remember being twelve and feeling so embarrassed for them while my mom did my hair and we both tried not to stare as they accused each other of being alcoholics. Ew I feel anxious just recalling it. I can’t imagine how anyone comes away feeling good from interactions like that.

6. coacha

coacha I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It’s rampant among all sports, not just cheerleading.

7. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    I’ve seen coaches go on Twitter and attack former athletes for leaving for another gym. Makes you wonder sometimes why a kid leaves a team they have won with until I see tweets then it sort of clicks.

8. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    this is a reason why I was happy to leave my old gym when my family moved from sc to Texas.

9. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    But they will gladly take an athlete who comes to them from another gym!

10. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes they should. CP's gym has a code of conduct that athlete AND parent have to sign and social media behavior is included. I don't know if action has been taken against a parent acting out online like this, but I haven't seen any of our parents act like this either. Sometimes the discussion in the parent viewing area gets a little out of hand, then they close viewing for a week or month at a time and people come back on their best behavior.

11. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well you have two different issues here in my opinion. 1 is more general social media and understanding that what you write or how you behave can negatively impact your program or perceptions of your program. The video of the drunk mom fighting with the other group of moms would be a good example. The second is threatening and possibly illegal (attacking, bullying etc). Obviously there is no place for the latter in my opinion. As for the first, every program probably has (or should have) its own policy on what they will or won't tolerate in terms of behavior. Some programs strictly limit parents voicing negativity period (criticizing the program, other athletes, Varsity, EP's etc) others are much more tolerant. Personally as long as expectations are clear I don't have a problem either way. I will say in my experience the children with out of control parents seem to have a way of not thriving in our program.

12. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

It was really funny because the gym owner was bashing another top gym about “stealing” an athlete, and another gym commented on that post about that owner “recruiting” one of their athletes.

13. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’ve always been taught these few things since I was little and maybe it’s because I come from a family of athletes, or maybe it’s because my dad has been coaching at the collegiate level since forever it seems like. But my parents always taught me to handle a loss and win the same way with dignity, class, and grace. To never say or post anything out of anger, disappointment, or an upsetting loss because even after it has been deleted the damage is already done. To always congratulate the winner. I guess I just expect all of these things to be common sense but sadly in the world of cheer, and sports in general it’s not a given.