All-Star Should They Be Going To World's?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 13, 2009
This is not a post to point fingers at any particular program or team...more to pose questions about scenarios that I see on the up-rise.

It's looking to me that as the season comes to a close and we get down to the last few bid competitions of the season and just from watching videos and seeing a few teams in person I'd have to say the skill level of a good number of these teams is Restricted 5 AT BEST.

So I'm thinking from a few different perspectives:
-Is it safe for some of these athletes who aren't ready (skill wise) to be pushed into this competitive Worlds arena?
-With the economy the way it is, is it fair for a gym to push Worlds on a team who (skill wise) is not ready, will most likely go on an at large bid and facing reality for several teams not make it into finals?
-Where does the USASF stand on situations like this? They want a safer cheer industry (progression) but clearly they also want the registration money and package kick back from these teams going to Worlds.

Please don't take offense to this as I do believe in everyone having a right to compete(Hell, I'm the father of Open 4 lol) I just really wonder if the allure of Worlds has jaded some coaches and owners into what may be best for their program or athletes.

Thoughts?

I agree 100%. I wish that instead of going off of last years registration for bid dispersal, they had to send in a final count a couple weeks before hand, and USASF would have to approve and possibly increase/decrease the amount of bids. Last year's numbers should only be looked at to try to plan accordingly. Look at UCA this year-almost every single Level 5 team left with a bid. It's a bit ridiculous.
Just an idea!

I agree 100%. I wish that instead of going off of last years registration for bid dispersal, they had to send in a final count a couple weeks before hand, and USASF would have to approve and possibly increase/decrease the amount of bids. Last year's numbers should only be looked at to try to plan accordingly. Look at UCA this year-almost every single Level 5 team left with a bid. It's a bit ridiculous.
Just an idea!
Every level 5 team at UCA did leave with a bid.. they only gave out 11 of the 12 they had. Memphis Elite would not accept an at-large bid or else they would have received the 12th one. I think that that is just kind of ridiculous.

I believe USASF should start limiting at-large bids in the future, maybe 1 or 2 at-large per paid or something like that instead, and maybe no at-large when they're offering a partial? Although, that would probably draw less teams, but I feel it would increase the playing field.

I don't agree with all of the teams that have received at-large bids this season, but I personally wouldn't want to go to Worlds just for the "experience," especially putting so much money out of pocket. I'd want to be able to be competitive with others in my division and stand a chance.

This is not a post to point fingers at any particular program or team...more to pose questions about scenarios that I see on the up-rise.

It's looking to me that as the season comes to a close and we get down to the last few bid competitions of the season and just from watching videos and seeing a few teams in person I'd have to say the skill level of a good number of these teams is Restricted 5 AT BEST.

-Is it safe for some of these athletes who aren't ready (skill wise) to be pushed into this competitive Worlds arena?
-With the economy the way it is, is it fair for a gym to push Worlds on a team who (skill wise) is not ready, will most likely go on an at large bid and facing reality for several teams not make it into finals?
-Where does the USASF stand on situations like this? They want a safer cheer industry (progression) but clearly they also want the registration money and package kick back from these teams going to Worlds.

Please don't take offense to this as I do believe in everyone having a right to compete(Hell, I'm the father of Open 4 lol) I just really wonder if the allure of Worlds has jaded some coaches and owners into what may be best for their program or athletes.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are, you are way more diplomatic than me... ;) Good post.

I think there should be more criteria to get a bid ... like a minimum score at several competitions or video evaluations or just something so that WORLDS gets back to being a more prestigious event like it was the first few years

I've seen some teams get bids and I wonder how or why spend that money for the experience?????

Thoughts?
No it isn't safe. I know that intuitively, but I will leave it to the experts to comment.

I agree many gyms do this because they think that they have to have a Level 5 Worlds team to survive - and maybe they do because so many of their customers are uneducated in the sport, have bought into the Worlds fantasy and insist on being part of it.

I know parents who have gone to Worlds with teams like this and have later admitted to being humiliated at the end of the 'experience'. They didn't realize how bad their child's team was until they saw the competition, and saw the scores. They were appalled at the cost of this hard-learned lesson.

I find it more than coincidental that at least two of the three Illinois teams that usually place respectably at Worlds turned down bids when their teams weren't Worlds-worthy. That decision is owned by the Program and the Coaches who have the integrity and courage to stand up to the parents and athletes and do what is right. And surprisingly (or not) they are the ones with the longest history of success. Their growth has been slow and steady, matched by the steady improvement in where their teams place at Worlds.

I think maybe a team has to achieve a set score to receive the at larges. ? after the paids have been given out.... - but if the paids are given out (and that is what all the teams are after) then I guess the at larges that go along with the paids would also have to be given out - I don't know how an EP could get around saying I gave out my paids - but can't really see anyone to give out these at larges too.... lol.. Unless they limit what competitions can give them? Big comps like NCA, Cheersport and Indy can have teams that receive at large bids and do well at worlds - we have fallen in that category in the past - not that we plan it that way, just the way it seems to work out for us...OR they can just base all bids on scores then... the paids go first... then the at larges have to fall in a certain score range also... and if they have some left over at larges they weren't able to use then that's they way it is. They can still allocate how they will distribute bids between the divisions if needed. But if you can't score a set score at the event awarding bids (paid or at large) then you don't get one, even if it meant all bids at comps wouldn't be handed out. I know its about money - but there would still be teams going on at larges and paying, just not as many - and the teams SHOULD have the skill to be there then.

Maybe someone should write a proposal for changing how bids are given out. Just a thought.
I definitely agree with this i think you should have to get a certain score and reach certain criteria to be able to go just because it is a lot of money to go worlds and it gives the kids on those kids hope that they will compete both days while in fact that would never happen for some of these teams.

Back