Shoulder Flexibilty

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 26, 2012
I was working on backhand springs today and it was good but kind of a "layout spring" if that makes since, I need more shoulder flexibilty to have a better arch,does anyone have any exercises for shoulder flexibilty? Thanks in advance!

To get the mobility in my shoulders i stretch the movement i am doing so for a back handspring (as well as many other things) i place my forearms or sometimes lower on the edge of my bed making sure there next to my ears and extend my legs into a plank position but with your arms on the bed. With the help of gravity your good friend, your weight pushing down will strengthen the muscles and make them more flexible :) and make sure your head is between your arms or lower so that you get a good stretch :) hope this helps you

I was told to go into a bridge in front of a wall and try to get my chest against the wall. Or put your arms straight and flat out in front of you on a bed, couch, table etc. then push your back down as far as you can while keeping your arms straight. Hold it for at least a minute.

I hope that made sense.

Bridge is a really really good one for shoulders. As well as pushing up against a wall you can try imagine pushing your shoulders as far past your wrists for as long as you can while in bridge, come down, rock on you back and do it again. You can also try putting your feet up on a height and going up into bridge to get a bigger push on your shoulders.

Shoulders are one of the most complex joints in the body. With how much mobility the shoulder has, it are cursed with joint instability. This instability leads to muscle imbalances which can alter how the joint functions, which in turn causes a limited range of motion.

In our society, the biggest imbalances are caused by an over tightening in the pecs, which leads to an over lengthening of the muscles in the back, and eventually weakness in the lengthened muscles.

When we look at flexibility, it is important that we not only lengthen the over tightened tissues, to bring them to their proper range of motion, but to also strengthen the weakened tissues, to keep them the tissues from returning to their original state!

Try placing something like a scarf on the floor, and then going into a rainbow bridge (bridge with straight legs) with your hands on the scarf. Then rock in your bridge and try to push your shoulders over the scarf/your hands. Gabi Butler does this stretch in her youtube video (search 'Gabi Butler stretching') if you need a visual representation!

I've always found, though, that the best shoulder stretches are partner stretches. Sit in a straddle or pike and place your arms straight up. Keep your back very straight. Have someone hold your arms just below the elbow and pull back slightly. I would recommend asking your coach to teach this stretch to that 'someone' if it's your mum, etc - this stretch hurts really bad and they need to be taught how to do it properly.

Back