All-Star Showcases

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yep. On the one hand I get retaining choreo that works for you. But it hasn’t really been working for them for the last few years.

I don't think it necessarily isn't working per se, it's just been stale for a while. Yes, they haven't been able to win Worlds since 2013 (wow 7 years???) but they usually do well up until the home stretch of Worlds. I think last season they only lost once, and I think it was really early in the season (WSF if I'm remembering correctly).

Last edited:
Yeah that’s true. In sum they are a successful gym. And lately it seems that SE (and GymTyme) have been feeder teams to Louisville which I’m sure doesn’t hurt.

And yeah, there is a kind of magic to SE that bleeds into the real world as well. Not sure what it is. But there’s a huge discrepancy between the large number of SE fans and their very average Worlds track record (if you’re measuring in golds only). Logic suggests that, if people like to align themselves with winners, then WCSS should have the largest fan base. And conversely, the largest hater base as well assuming that for every fan admiring a team’s success, there’s usually a troll disparaging it.

But SE beats them on both fronts. This team is so polarising that people are triggered by them one way or another. Not sure why.

Well a lot of the fandom type stuff has a lot to do with social media presence of teams moreso than how good they are or how much they win or not. The more you put out there, the more The Cheer Social Media World has to dissect. Lots of videos of SE, a whole video channel = more videos = more to discuss. That and the social media following of people on the team. All that breeds discussion (both positive and negative.)

Example: You do not see that about say, WCSS or Orange because Cheer Twitter doesn't care who wins really. They discuss what is out there. There is just not much put out about them. They do not have Youtube stars on their teams, people on teams that are are constantly putting out video, youtube channels with practice videos coming out every month, etc.

I also tend to agree that it's not necessarily that what this particular team does does not WORK. but it works in the sense that playing it safe generally does work because you are not taking risks. That's really what cheer is about, calculating risk v. reward. Some teams push it, some do not.

isnt LOT coached and choreographed by someone other then CSP. I love SE, and they clearly stick to what that excel at, but the routines while impressive are repetitive to me. Although i can understand if teams this year keep a lot of elements from last year all the way to worlds, considering the cancellation of worlds last season.

isnt LOT coached and choreographed by someone other then CSP. I love SE, and they clearly stick to what that excel at, but the routines while impressive are repetitive to me. Although i can understand if teams this year keep a lot of elements from last year all the way to worlds, considering the cancellation of worlds last season.

I don't know about LOT. I would also be curious to know if she coaches Crush or LL? I see some definite differences in ability to change things up and incorporate newer choreo on those teams v. say, SE and Coed.

Additional sidenote - who does choreo at Raleigh? I see Raleigh teams continually innovating and doing well so I am curious. I am guessing that being owned by Sister Owner Lady (not CSP) probably has a lot to do with that (different owner = diff philosophies, staff, ideas, etc?)

I don't know about LOT. I would also be curious to know if she coaches Crush or LL? I see some definite differences in ability to change things up and incorporate newer choreo on those teams v. say, SE and Coed.

Additional sidenote - who does choreo at Raleigh? I see Raleigh teams continually innovating and doing well so I am curious. I am guessing that being owned by Sister Owner Lady (not CSP) probably has a lot to do with that (different owner = diff philosophies, staff, ideas, etc?)
i dont know who choreos SSX, but they have had such great routines year after year for the longest time now.

Being a parent at the gym must be a weird experience. I’m guessing that if you sign up for SE, you just accept that some kids will always be the crown jewels in exchange for loose recognition for your kid. Which begs the question: why do people put up with this from a gym that hasn’t won Worlds in years? It can’t just be because of social media can it?
If you don't think this happens at most gyms at least to some extent, then you are mistaken. People put up with way more for way less - it's just not as public. Add to that CEA is not exactly close to any gyms with highly competitive teams, so short of relocating or driving several hours round trip your options are limited.

i dont know who choreos SSX, but they have had such great routines year after year for the longest time now.

I know they Brandon (X man) Hale and I think Adrian Butler (Top Gun) choreographed past years. Not sure who is choreographing SSX this year since X man is currently banned by USASF.

If you don't think this happens at most gyms at least to some extent, then you are mistaken. People put up with way more for way less - it's just not as public. Add to that CEA is not exactly close to any gyms with highly competitive teams, so short of relocating or driving several hours round trip your options are limited.

You do have a point.

Smaller gyms have done the I Literally Created This Team for The Benefit of my Level 4/5/6 Child and Two of Her Friends and She is The Star of It & You Can Fight Me thing on a smaller scale forever.

See also: Dance studio owners will create whole trios around their daughter all day long. That was my sister's #1 complaint about her kid's time in dance world.

Or I Style Hair for Pageants but my Two Hour Time Slot is Booked for My Own Daughter. Everyone Else = 1 Hour Only So What And If You Don'T Like It Book With Someone Else.

So common.

Well a lot of the fandom type stuff has a lot to do with social media presence of teams moreso than how good they are or how much they win or not. The more you put out there, the more The Cheer Social Media World has to dissect. Lots of videos of SE, a whole video channel = more videos = more to discuss. That and the social media following of people on the team. All that breeds discussion (both positive and negative.)

Example: You do not see that about say, WCSS or Orange because Cheer Twitter doesn't care who wins really. They discuss what is out there. There is just not much put out about them. They do not have Youtube stars on their teams, people on teams that are are constantly putting out video, youtube channels with practice videos coming out every month, etc.

I also tend to agree that it's not necessarily that what this particular team does does not WORK. but it works in the sense that playing it safe generally does work because you are not taking risks. That's really what cheer is about, calculating risk v. reward. Some teams push it, some do not.

That’s true. CEA does have a huge social media presence. But so do other LAG teams? CA has a YT channel, and WCSS has the Twinkles doc that people still talk about. They both have their fair share of prominent “cheerlebrities” (Panthers had the incredible redhead, and WCSS had the Twinkles alumni). And I don’t see the same level of hate geared toward them. You go on these cheer Twitter accounts and SE/CEA is ALL they talk about, and it’s usually bad. People don’t like their Worlds athletes on their Summit teams. People don’t like the behavior of an ex-athlete who isn’t even on the team anymore. There’s always something to say about SE.

And yeah, I understand the merits of playing it safe choreo wise. But in SE’s case it’s almost like their choreo hasn’t changed even though the score sheet very much has. It’s like a refusal to adapt. Those full squad high/high stretches look great and would’ve dominated in 2013, but it’s just not enough anymore.

Oh I’m sure it happens all over. I’ve just never seen it as obvious as it is on SE. It’s a ballsy move to say, “Yeah I’m the owner of this place and my kid is going to be center for the next six years. Deal with it.” In contrast, when my mom coached me she shoved me to the back of every routine, even if it didn’t make sense. She was not going to let anyone cry favouritism, end of story.

CSP has taken a very different approach. On the one hand I want to applaud it, but on the other hand it hints at the same stubbornness that might actually be holding this team back when it comes to choreo.

It’s just fortunate that KP is actually good and, it appears, observant enough to let RC keep her on her toes.

That backbend transition seems weird. I don't really see the purpose of it? I don't think it adds anything.

Yeah it seems to be Panthers-inspired. Reminds me of the ropey scorpion they did last year before they took it out. If they can make it faster -- like within two counts -- and shoot it right up to extended, that'll be cool. Otherwise yeah, it's a weird slug to the elite momentum.

Back