High School Simon Says

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So it isn't an issue with the specific chart, just with how generations are structured in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have an issue with any of it.....

A generation, by the original definition, is really specific to a family. A set of parents gives birth to offspring creating a generation.

I do believe that some of the issues we are having relationally between the labeled "generations" (ie. Gen X, Gen Y, Gen whogivesarip) is that people are having children at younger ages, narrowing the age-gap. I have a kids in my program who were "oopsies" and who's parents are only a few years younger than MY parents. I have kids in my program who's parents are roughly the same age as I am. I have kids in my program who's parents were in middle school when I was in college. This is a high school team and the age-range is only 4 years. That's a lot of different parenting styles learned based on what decade these parents were in school themselves. I see good and bad in all of them. I posted the above video because I do believe we have a social media and mobile phone addiction problem that is preventing people from developing real relationships and being satisfied with life.

If social media is interrupting your family life (for example, you can't stay away from snapchatting with a woman 3000 miles away and your wife hates it), that's an addiction.

If your mobile phone can't be put away for you to actually participate in a meeting or learning opportunity at your job, that's an addiction.

If, as a teenager, you can't put your phone away in order to give undivided attention to a teacher in the classroom or a coach in the practice area, that's an addiction.

Simon makes a valid point that social media and phones are not inherently bad, they are basically inanimate objects, it's the imbalance in people's lives that cause the problem. I have one parent in my program who's face I've never seen. Up until this year, all I've ever seen is the top of her head because she spends every minute of every meeting on her phone. When she comes to watch her kid at our tumbling class, she's in the viewing area on her phone. Her occupation does not demand constant interaction with her phone, so what is she doing up there that is more important than supporting her child? I know this, from a coaching standpoint, she's the FIRST person to have to text me and ask me about material that was covered in depth in those meetings.

A generation, by the original definition, is really specific to a family. A set of parents gives birth to offspring creating a generation.

I do believe that some of the issues we are having relationally between the labeled "generations" (ie. Gen X, Gen Y, Gen whogivesarip) is that people are having children at younger ages, narrowing the age-gap. I have a kids in my program who were "oopsies" and who's parents are only a few years younger than MY parents. I have kids in my program who's parents are roughly the same age as I am. I have kids in my program who's parents were in middle school when I was in college. This is a high school team and the age-range is only 4 years. That's a lot of different parenting styles learned based on what decade these parents were in school themselves. I see good and bad in all of them. I posted the above video because I do believe we have a social media and mobile phone addiction problem that is preventing people from developing real relationships and being satisfied with life.

If social media is interrupting your family life (for example, you can't stay away from snapchatting with a woman 3000 miles away and your wife hates it), that's an addiction.

If your mobile phone can't be put away for you to actually participate in a meeting or learning opportunity at your job, that's an addiction.

If, as a teenager, you can't put your phone away in order to give undivided attention to a teacher in the classroom or a coach in the practice area, that's an addiction.

Simon makes a valid point that social media and phones are not inherently bad, they are basically inanimate objects, it's the imbalance in people's lives that cause the problem. I have one parent in my program who's face I've never seen. Up until this year, all I've ever seen is the top of her head because she spends every minute of every meeting on her phone. When she comes to watch her kid at our tumbling class, she's in the viewing area on her phone. Her occupation does not demand constant interaction with her phone, so what is she doing up there that is more important than supporting her child? I know this, from a coaching standpoint, she's the FIRST person to have to text me and ask me about material that was covered in depth in those meetings.

That is interesting that you're seeing such young parents in your area, because statistically speaking people are waiting longer than ever to get married. The average age of marriage right now is 26(ish) for women, and 28(ish) for men. Obviously people can make a baby without being married, but unintentional pregnancies are on a (slow) decline as well. Though, I understand that data is speaking for right now rather than when your athletes were born.

Research is rarely 100% objective, but this page did show some interesting trends.

Unintended Pregnancy in the United States | Guttmacher Institute

I don't disagree with your social media points. As a coach, I see huge issues with it among my athletes and their parents as well. No arguments from me there.

Also, I understand what you're saying about the generation definition. Cohort is probably a better word for what we tend to refer to as a generation.

That is interesting that you're seeing such young parents in your area, because statistically speaking people are waiting longer than ever to get married. The average age of marriage right now is 26(ish) for women, and 28(ish) for men. Obviously people can make a baby without being married, but unintentional pregnancies are on a (slow) decline as well. Though, I understand that data is speaking for right now rather than when your athletes were born.

Research is rarely 100% objective, but this page did show some interesting trends.

Unintended Pregnancy in the United States | Guttmacher Institute

I don't disagree with your social media points. As a coach, I see huge issues with it among my athletes and their parents as well. No arguments from me there.

Also, I understand what you're saying about the generation definition. Cohort is probably a better word for what we tend to refer to as a generation.

So, going back to the video and applying it to coaching:

Can you not agree that the society of instant gratification sets these kids up to think that they should be getting skills based on the fact that they just "want" to do it? Simon's point in the video is a bit oversimplified as he seems to link it all to technology. I'm talking about instant gratification in LIFE.

Example:

Very few people save to pay cash for anything anymore, it just goes on the credit card. So we have kids who's parents are putting everything from toys when they are kids to homecoming dresses when they are teenagers on plastic. Very few of my athletes, and we are talking about a very socioeconomically diverse group here, are forced to use the money from their jobs to pay for these items. The parents are borrowing money for NICE cars, not forcing their kids to help pay for junk cars. I've got kids in my program who owe the program money, but are driving a nicer vehicle than I had when I was thirty years old and had been out of college for six years.

Do you not think that contributes to "I want my tuck" and everything else I've wanted in my whole life has been handed to me within a short period of time, so shouldn't "I have my tuck" come a few days or weeks later without regard for the amount of work involved?

Can you not agree that the society of instant gratification sets these kids up to think that they should be getting skills based on the fact that they just "want" to do it? Simon's point in the video is a bit oversimplified as he seems to link it all to technology. I'm talking about instant gratification in LIFE.

Example:

Very few people save to pay cash for anything anymore, it just goes on the credit card. So we have kids who's parents are putting everything from toys when they are kids to homecoming dresses when they are teenagers on plastic. Very few of my athletes, and we are talking about a very socioeconomically diverse group here, are forced to use the money from their jobs to pay for these items. The parents are borrowing money for NICE cars, not forcing their kids to help pay for junk cars. I've got kids in my program who owe the program money, but are driving a nicer vehicle than I had when I was thirty years old and had been out of college for six years.

Do you not think that contributes to "I want my tuck" and everything else I've wanted in my whole life has been handed to me within a short period of time, so shouldn't "I have my tuck" come a few days or weeks later without regard for the amount of work involved?

I attribute it far more to poor parenting, and poor coaching, than to technology itself. But technology is a factor there. So is perceived status. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

And by poor coaching, I mean athletes that had a coach somewhere along the line that allowed them to move on to skills/teams they weren't ready for. Because the kids "work hard" and "deserve it." I've actually had other coaches make this argument to me before. I don't want to coach those kids after someone like that has already had them.

Example:

I think this is spot on. If you want to put it in generation terms my parents are 'baby boomers' according to this chart. Me and my brother are millennials considering each age bracket give or take a year.

I've been blessed to grow up in a upper/middle class neighborhood, in a stable environment, but I never got that spoiled, instant gratification you're hinting at. My parents waited years to buy the luxury vehicles they could easily afford because they knew there were 2 college tuitions in their futures.

I grew up with a lot of friends with younger parents and you could tell just by the values taught. I would never talk back to a coach because I was raised that any adult is an authoritative figure, I understand the idea of working towards a goal and being a realist. Some thought they should get everything handed to them because they did at home, and their parents dotted on them in a way that feed into their idea of entitlement.

I figured since you used a a talking head from a viral video it was fine for me to use one as well.
Simon is an author who is trying to sell you something, he has a vested interest in convincing you of his opinion and that makes him a biased source who should, at best, be taken with a grain of salt. But more than that, he misconstrues evidence and uses vast generalizations to oversimplify very complex issues and in doing so, he does what every generation before him did to the generation that took the reigns from them: he blames them for the problems that his own generation started.

Want to know what isn't a problem? Participation trophies NO ONE wanted. I never shed a tear when I threw away all my trophies (even the non participation ones) when I went to college - but my mom sure did. Participation trophies were never for us, they were for the parents.

But thats not saying there aren't problems facing my generation, there are. Things like being the first generation to adapt to a society where privacy doesn't exist. Things like being the first generation to be overqualified for a job they need to pay bills, and underquallified for a job they were actually trained for. Things like being raised in a society where secondary education is an expectation, but funding for secondary education is not - which led us to having more student debt than any generation before us.
Things like being the most educated most underpaid generation EVER, for example, which are all actually legitimate reasons to feel disenfranchized and pessimistic about the future.

Instead of saying that, though, he says its cell phones and being told we're special that made us sad.
You know, as opposed to every other generation who's parents didn't tell them they were special, right? :rolleyes:

Though I would love to break down every part of his video, I don't have to. Other people already have.
Here are some sources:
Why Simon Sinek's Video on Millennials Was Wrong | The Huffington Post
What Simon Sinek Got Wrong about Millennials in the Workplace
What that viral video about ‘millennials’ gets wrong | Dazed

EDIT: Also, he doesn't understand at all how dopamine works, the brain is MUCH more complicated than that, as is addiction..

EDIT 2: Formatting.

Do you watch/listen to George Carlin's stand-up at all, or his audio books? He touched on the issue of previous generations bashing younger people. It was wonderful.

Simon Her occupation does not demand constant interaction with her phone, so what is she doing up there that is more important than supporting her child? I know this, from a coaching standpoint, she's the FIRST person to have to text me and ask me about material that was covered in depth in those meetings.

That last paragraph!

My life:

Watches parent sit on phone through the Spring parent meeting that only lasts 20 min. Gives out calendar with team pic details on it. Parent doesn't take one.

Sends parent email with team picture location, date, time. (3 weeks prior)

Sends reminder email at one week out with subject: Reminder! Team pics on xxxx date at xxxx time at xxxxx park.

Sends Remind text with same details 72 hours out.

Day of pics from at least 2 people:

"What time are pics?"
"Where are pics?"
"Are pics today?"
"Omg did we miss pics?"
"Hey can you send me a pic of the address?"
"Text me pic address ASAP."

You guys.

Read. The. Stuff. I. Send.

You sit on your phone allllll through every meeting we have but now you have no clue how to access emails and texts?

What.

That last paragraph!

My life:

Watches parent sit on phone through the Spring parent meeting that only lasts 20 min. Gives out calendar with team pic details on it. Parent doesn't take one.

Sends parent email with team picture location, date, time. (3 weeks prior)

Sends reminder email at one week out with subject: Reminder! Team pics on xxxx date at xxxx time at xxxxx park.

Sends Remind text with same details 72 hours out.

Day of pics from at least 2 people:

"What time are pics?"
"Where are pics?"
"Are pics today?"
"Omg did we miss pics?"
"Hey can you send me a pic of the address?"
"Text me pic address ASAP."

You guys.

Read. The. Stuff. I. Send.

You sit on your phone allllll through every meeting we have but now you have no clue how to access emails and texts?

What.

It's like you live my life.

So to take this sort of off topic, how does everyone handle sending info out these days? I really can't handle the constant texts anymore but i get the feeling that half my families dont do email....and loose handouts just seem to be left everwhere and a waste of paper (and my time to copy...)

So to take this sort of off topic, how does everyone handle sending info out these days? I really can't handle the constant texts anymore but i get the feeling that half my families dont do email....and loose handouts just seem to be left everwhere and a waste of paper (and my time to copy...)

Ironically....

We have a facebook page, twitter account, and send out group text messaging via teamsnap LMAO. I still do paper calendars and I write their names on them so that I know EXACTLY who is irresponsible and leaves them in the practice area the day I hand them out.

Our practice time is cell-phone free. No excuses, no "can I text my mom," no "I am waiting for a phone call," no "but what if it's an emergency." The purpose is to force them to interact with each other instead of their phones.

Our gym does texts and emails. I would *LOVE* if our webpage was updated with news/calendar. I hate having to look through old emails/texts to make sure I've got the right date/time for things. I still don't get why even the big gyms don't have reliable updated webpages.

I do know there are still parents at our gym that don't always know what is going on but it's not always their fault if the gym isn't communicating well.

ETA: I know that probably relates more to All Star than HS but most schools should have a page dedicated to their cheer squads as well. CP did MS last year and why even have the page if you're not going to use it. Literally the only thing on it was the post where they listed out who made the team.

Regarding the technology/phone addiction, CP is very addicted to her phone. I've gotten to where it feels like a drug addiction. She got in trouble and I took it away for one night. She was *BEGGING* to just get on it for a second to check her streaks, etc. It was honestly kind of sad to listen to because it literally sounded like an addict wanting a fix. She had to have it taken away this morning and when that happened, she gets very angry and started yelling at her sister. We're working on limiting her to 1 hour a day now. Tough times ahead...

Our gym does texts and emails. I would *LOVE* if our webpage was updated with news/calendar. I hate having to look through old emails/texts to make sure I've got the right date/time for things. I still don't get why even the big gyms don't have reliable updated webpages.

I do know there are still parents at our gym that don't always know what is going on but it's not always their fault if the gym isn't communicating well.

ETA: I know that probably relates more to All Star than HS but most schools should have a page dedicated to their cheer squads as well. CP did MS last year and why even have the page if you're not going to use it. Literally the only thing on it was the post where they listed out who made the team.

Regarding the technology/phone addiction, CP is very addicted to her phone. I've gotten to where it feels like a drug addiction. She got in trouble and I took it away for one night. She was *BEGGING* to just get on it for a second to check her streaks, etc. It was honestly kind of sad to listen to because it literally sounded like an addict wanting a fix. She had to have it taken away this morning and when that happened, she gets very angry and started yelling at her sister. We're working on limiting her to 1 hour a day now. Tough times ahead...

Your school team needs TeamSnap

Back