Skills On The Ground Compared To In The Air.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2012
I've never flown in my life, but it's something I would love to try! Would you say it's easier to pull a scorpion, heel stretch, etc. in the air or just standing on the ground?

My cp says its easier in the air,

& she can pull a better scorpion on the ground..

But her heel stretches/ and bow and arrows look much better in the air.

The ground requires more balance and hip control. So if you can pull a position solidly on the ground and hold it for an eight count you can most likely do that in the air (with many other factors taken into consideration of course).

The ground requires more balance and hip control. So if you can pull a position solidly on the ground and hold it for an eight count you can most likely do that in the air (with many other factors taken into consideration of course).

One of your factors, I'm sure, is being able to actually stand on one leg in the air, something a lot of people struggle with. Once you've got that part down, I agree with you.

One of your factors, I'm sure, is being able to actually stand on one leg in the air, something a lot of people struggle with. Once you've got that part down, I agree with you.

Yes. But lots of flyers neglect being able to hold proper position on the ground and pull body positions without hopping around or leaning on something. A cheap easy way to get better.

My girls (who are now serious bases) - love pulling flying moves on the ground and have as much flexibility as many of their flyers - BUT they are also control freaks (like me) and much prefer to be the one responsible for keeping someone up than relying on someone else to help keep them up. Each has had a chance to fly and the only one who enjoyed it was when my younger had her sister as a base. My oldest who was dying to fly said being in the air was just not her thing - she got very afraid. The best was when her coach had her show her flyer how to do a bow and arrow on the ground and then she based the girl. She and her friend who is now a flyer talked for a long time about it - it was very interesting as I was driving hearing how they each felt being in the air. At first it kinda bothered me that my one asked to no longer fly because she has such great balance and flexibility (really they spend tons of time just pulling the stunts on the ground or my furniture for fun - all the time at home) but they don't like how it feels to be in the air with just hands under them and they are good at what they do and I remind myself this is their sport and if they are happy and working hard then I am happy as well and I keep my job of supporting them. Some gyms offer classes just for flying and stunts may be worth trying. Whatever you do hope you enjoy it!

Flyer for 3 years now. In the air above everything. The ground can't adjust your foot or move with you to prevent you from falling over if you start to lean, your bases and back can and do, so it's easier.

Latest posts

Back