Music Slapfire Music Mixing Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 6, 2011
Over the next few months Slapfire will be bringing you Music production tips and tutorials so that Your music production can be taken to the highest level. This information is intended to raise the level of cheerleading music in the industry. It's what is needed and everyone at SlapFire is excited to share. Our instructors are:

Chatwic DuB aka PhatChat aka CheerSound: Most of you know Chat, if you don't, you should meet him. Always open to sharing. He's trained some of the best cheerleading music producers in the industry. His samples are heard throughout cheerleading! Most of the UNDERLYING BREAKBEATS used today to enhance cheerleading music, we're sequenced by Chat. The actual drumbeats we're created by him. A lot of the TONE build ups used to climax a segment of music we're also created by him. Over the years Chat has shared these samples with past apprentices and they have spread the sounds throughout the World. The latest Craze over the past few years has been Voiceovers! in 2007 Chat pioneered Rapping in California All Stars Coed routine for NCA. That has resonated so far into the industry but only a few can pull it off. There are so many facets to Chat's knowledge on music production and he's excited to share with all of you.

Jennifer "BigRed" Cooper: Jennifer is well known as an amazing performer and a person passionately involved with Cheerleading. She's coaches, choreographs, and performs amazing vocals. She's has been a key success in SlapFire's mixes this year. Jennifer will be covering how the music helps the routine performance. Giving you the perspective from "How the athlete feels When they press play!..... ahhhhhh!" Such important information.

Lee Andes aka Crimson: Lee is the newest addition to the Cheerleading Music World! One of the hottest lyricist in the World! He's a Christian/Clean Rapper from Virginia that has come into the SlapFire family and is bound to be the next big thing in Cheerleading Music. Lee makes his own music, writes his own rhymes and manages his own group of artist. A wealth of knowledge and experience exist in this kid. We're so lucky for him to be part! He's been featured on Fame Notorious, Cali Coed, CheerForce Envy, Central jersey All Stars, and other mixes. Look out for his voice and lyrics. Top notch!

For right now, this is our staff and we'll be getting information out asap, so that next year, there will be huge growth in the Quality of Cheerleading music.

a Big Thanks goes out to The Fierceboard for creating such a welcoming forum to spread good information that will elevate this industry.

Stay Tuned!

SlapFire Media
www.slapfire.com
FaceBook "Slapfire"​

I do not want to offend anyone... Sorry if I offended anyone... I haven't asked for any money and I'm just answering questions that i think alot of people would like to know. Here's my answer to Tommy's and XCheerleaders question:​

I use Adobe Audition. but..... I owe my voiceover sound to my equipment and knowledge on using it. I always think that my voiceovers are good until I educate myself more on the Hardware side and on the creative side. But even on the hardware or software side of knowledge, It's All About Knowing how to work your software and your equipment to achieve the sound you want.​

Now ask yourself.... What sound do I want? Once you have made that decision, now you have to try and acheive it. This is where most people fail or cut corners. You have the sound that you want to achieve and now you have to not stop until you achieve it. Just like any skill you want to obtain in life. I learn everyday about my own voice and how my equipment projects my creativity. The one thing i have, is a lot of creativity...haha. too much sometime. But that's good, cause i never run out of ideas. But getting that idea to work in a routine or any music project is the key to this art. Once you Hit it, then you got it. Now you gotta keep doin it.​

I recently spent 18 hours on Prodigy Midnight, 23 hours on Cheer Command, and like 20 hours on CA Coed. I spent 27 hours on SMOED. I know.. I know... I'm slow.. But I spend a lot of time thinking of the psycology of How i use the music, How the music is going to be interpreted, and will it motivate those kids. That's how I do it and the Voiceovers, as you know, are such a big deal now.​

I never thought in a milion years that I would be rapping in a Cheerleading Routine. Now... I did rap in talent shows when i was 14, 15 and I was also in a Ska/Core band called "Dadeo" (I screamed in KEY! lol) But either way, I never thought I would be producing cheerleading music. I've digressed..... The point I'm getting at is..... CONFIDENCE. Don't be scared. Who cares what other people think. Jennifer (BigRed) still laughs when she hears me recording voiceovers. (She thinks I'm a big dork... haha jk.) My voiceovers didn't sound like this until 2007. From 1996-2007 I sounded like a 300 pound CREEP. Everyone thought that the (world was flat)... haha Everyone thought that cheerleading voiceovers were supposed to be deep like most of the guys mixing at the time. Of coarse.... Once we got outside the cheerleading (coaches) BOX, the obvious was there. "Hey, i can sound like Emenim. Why am i searching the ends of the World for the perfect Acapella when I have a great voice?" So i started just being "Me".​

So first... Confidence. Then....a program like Adobe Audition, Sound Forge, Wavelab, or Pro tools. It doesn't really matter as long as you know how to use it to achieve your ideal Sound. Then... Hardware, mics, compressors, pre-amps, and quality mic chords. I will have real details in my tutorials coming up this summer. I'll have equipment and software set up recommendations, that will have you mixing like me within 1 year. yes... In ONE YEAR!​

I hope this answered your question. LOL!​

Chatwic DuBoise aka Chizasta aka PhatBoy aka PhitChat​

More questions? bring em... I"ll have alot of information coming up about the "SlapFire School for the really good looking kids." haha JK... Seriously the SlapFire school is coming! It will be the best way to actually learn music mixing. More info soon, but for now... Hit me some questions.

More questions? bring em... I"ll have alot of information coming up about the "SlapFire School for the really good looking kids." haha JK... Seriously the SlapFire school is coming! It will be the best way to actually learn music mixing. More info soon, but for now... Hit me some questions.

HAHA... thats from Zoolander, right? Im Really, realllly ridiculously good looking (ben stiller) LOLLL

Always like to throw some Zoolander i there....

SlapFire University is on the Horizon, until then any music questions, just shoot em right here.

I do not want to offend anyone... Sorry if I offended anyone... I haven't asked for any money and I'm just answering questions that i think alot of people would like to know. Here's my answer to Tommy's and XCheerleaders question:​

I use Adobe Audition. but..... I owe my voiceover sound to my equipment and knowledge on using it. I always think that my voiceovers are good until I educate myself more on the Hardware side and on the creative side. But even on the hardware or software side of knowledge, It's All About Knowing how to work your software and your equipment to achieve the sound you want.​

Now ask yourself.... What sound do I want? Once you have made that decision, now you have to try and acheive it. This is where most people fail or cut corners. You have the sound that you want to achieve and now you have to not stop until you achieve it. Just like any skill you want to obtain in life. I learn everyday about my own voice and how my equipment projects my creativity. The one thing i have, is a lot of creativity...haha. too much sometime. But that's good, cause i never run out of ideas. But getting that idea to work in a routine or any music project is the key to this art. Once you Hit it, then you got it. Now you gotta keep doin it.​

I recently spent 18 hours on Prodigy Midnight, 23 hours on Cheer Command, and like 20 hours on CA Coed. I spent 27 hours on SMOED. I know.. I know... I'm slow.. But I spend a lot of time thinking of the psycology of How i use the music, How the music is going to be interpreted, and will it motivate those kids. That's how I do it and the Voiceovers, as you know, are such a big deal now.​

I never thought in a milion years that I would be rapping in a Cheerleading Routine. Now... I did rap in talent shows when i was 14, 15 and I was also in a Ska/Core band called "Dadeo" (I screamed in KEY! lol) But either way, I never thought I would be producing cheerleading music. I've digressed..... The point I'm getting at is..... CONFIDENCE. Don't be scared. Who cares what other people think. Jennifer (BigRed) still laughs when she hears me recording voiceovers. (She thinks I'm a big dork... haha jk.) My voiceovers didn't sound like this until 2007. From 1996-2007 I sounded like a 300 pound CREEP. Everyone thought that the (world was flat)... haha Everyone thought that cheerleading voiceovers were supposed to be deep like most of the guys mixing at the time. Of coarse.... Once we got outside the cheerleading (coaches) BOX, the obvious was there. "Hey, i can sound like Emenim. Why am i searching the ends of the World for the perfect Acapella when I have a great voice?" So i started just being "Me".​

So first... Confidence. Then....a program like Adobe Audition, Sound Forge, Wavelab, or Pro tools. It doesn't really matter as long as you know how to use it to achieve your ideal Sound. Then... Hardware, mics, compressors, pre-amps, and quality mic chords. I will have real details in my tutorials coming up this summer. I'll have equipment and software set up recommendations, that will have you mixing like me within 1 year. yes... In ONE YEAR!​

I hope this answered your question. LOL!​

Chatwic DuBoise aka Chizasta aka PhatBoy aka PhitChat​

Well said Chat, I totally agree with your answer. We all start some where, and in order to achieve the sound or style that you want, you need to learn and have confidence in yourself. It only truly gets better from there.... if you persevere and know what it is you want.

I started to mix in 2004 by cutting and pasting pre-made mixes thinking that was the best work I had EVER done lol, yet that was not the case (and some were even Chat's old "Blazin' Mixes" he sold on his old site LOL). As I learned more throughout the years my sound was progressing, but voice overs were not. I can honestly say that I used a $15 computer mic bought from Best Buy, and it sounded so cheap and unprofessional. I told myself right then and there that I wanted to make voice overs like Chat/Patrick/JR/etc, and I'll do whatever it takes to make myself better....... but how??? So that's when I researched my butt off for years emailing cheer mixers, going to audio music stores and searching on the internet for anything that will help me make high quality voice overs. With all the studying I found all the types of equipment to use as well as software and it started to come together. I was really starting to get the high quality voice over sound that I wanted and set out to achieve. YES it has a lot to do with the equipment you use and how you use it, but it also has a lot to do with you; the producer (mixer). One piece of information told to me by a famous cheer mixer, I will always cherish, is that it doesn't matter how much sfx or things you add to your voice or how much equipment you use, it has to all come down to you and your voice alone. And what you set you mind to. The more feeling and creativity your voice is put through the mic, the better sounding the voice over is going to be. Literally the confidence in your voice and how you use it creatively.

So believe Chat as he says you can attain the sound you want as long as you achieve it and learn how to do it. It really is as simple as that. I may not be a "famous mixer", but I do mix cheer music professionally and know where Chat is coming from. This is a great benefit to us all to have Chat do this, FOR FREE! So if you set your mind to it and want it, you will get it.

I use grid markers and "S" cut (Split) the parts i want to keep, then copy and paste to the grid markers. That's the manual way to do it, which is the way I prefer cause I get more direct control, but there is the Snipper/Gapper plugins that comes with Acid Pro that is kinda cool. Try that to... Trial and error. I hope this helps.

ez

Big Thick Sound Production!

One of the popular things that people always ask me, is how do I get that Big Thick Sound quality? It has everything to do with the EQ and listening. The EQ is your best friend. With that tool you can make anything just about blend! Also EQing well means your ear is tuned well. The only to tune your ears is to do it over and over. Listen to songs, listen to cheer music that you want to be like. Just listen... that's the key to understanding what you want! I sit and listen for 6-7 hours every other day. This is another reason why I'm slower than these "other guys".

I actually spend a lot of time just Vibin" out and enjoying a song! I've been listening to Britney Spears' new album Femme Fatale. Awesome production! I listen, take mental noted on vocals, music, and the VIBE. Then I take notes on how the producers and engineers created that VIBE with the sounds and instruments that they used. Then I apply that to my music. My drum samples, that just about everyone uses, were inspired by Florida Breakbeats by Dj Icey (Amazing DJ that I've had the pleasure to DJ with several times). His vibe is out of this world in the Club! He knows how to Build a crowd up, make them go insane, take a water break and then come back and go Crazy again!. That's how I want to make the crowd feel!

So listen, understand the elements that the producers are using to create a vibe, and then apply through trial and error to achieve your ideal sound by utilizing the EQ.

Goodluck!

Chizasta!

SlapFire University will posting details about the First Semester very soon. We've got Special Guest who have mashed up and remixed Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne and others, teaching an amazing REMIX class in August. Enrollment will start in June and we're only taking 30 students for the 1st Semester. Get ready!

FREE Voiceovers! http://fierceboard.com/threads/free-voiceovers-from-slapfire.15217/

when you turn on a 1/8 grid...is every space between two numbers and 8 count??? It seems logical but is it right???

Not exactly.... Depends on which two numbers you're looking at. Acid breaks it down to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 2.1. The spaces at these numbers are quarter notes or 1 count. If you set your grid to 1/8 notes that should be 1/2 counts. Meaning that the numbers or spaces between 1.1 and 2.1 are 1/2 counts. But if you set your grid to Quarter (1/4) notes each space is 1 count.

There's so much more of a part, that the grid plays. Especially for sequencing techniques. A whole lesson will be going into "How to Efficiently Utilize the Grid"

Stay Tuned!

Chat

Just wanted to say I think it's really cool that you're doing this. I've met people who won't share their knowledge and just want to keep it all to themselves, so thanks for helping those of us who would like to learn even if it means less people would be *buying* mixes.

Just wanted to say I think it's really cool that you're doing this. I've met people who won't share their knowledge and just want to keep it all to themselves, so thanks for helping those of us who would like to learn even if it means less people would be *buying* mixes.

You know... I feel that... I don't own it! It was knowledge that i learned and YES... I wish someone would have taught me this specific genre, but they didn't and that doesn't mean that I should be the same way from this moment on. I know this.... I've helped a lot of people that are mixing music and making good money doing it. While at the same time they were just ready to stab me in the back. Even when things went down, I didn't let that change me. I continued to help, teach, and inspire.... The reason that I have to start teaching on a larger scale, is because the industry needs it. We have a lot of creative people out there, that are just lacking the skills and proper technique to make their ideas come to life. Even some of the most popular producers out there, have just recently learned basic skills. I have a great cirriculum that is going to set the standard for achieving your ideal sound. It will compliment any style from any music company that is currently mixing music. You can apply it to any vibe that you may have or if you want to imitate another vibe, the skills that I teach you can achieve any desired sound, if you put the time in and work hard at it. I love this business and I can only do 60-100 Routines a year with the quality that I feel teams deserve for the Price they pay. I charge by the hour and estimate that hourly charge to $100 per hour. These other guys charge close to my same price and do 3 routines a day and don't care what it sounds like and thinks that it's okay because the demand is so high that they can get away with it. I don't feel that's right. More people need this knowledge and the level of music needs to be raised and I hope to be part of this Major movement.

Back