OT Slowest Progress Ever From Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I used to take tumbling at a Gymnastics gym. It wasn't the best but needless to say I'm tiny. I'm 4'10" and I'm almost 15. Well we did some tumbling over the barrels. I had to jump back a lot to do it. I had to jump so far back that on my standing back handspring now (with a light spot or by myself) I do that. I'm making it longer than needed so it messed me up because I did that for a year. So the straight jumps will help. I forgot my point now. Anyways a guy on my high school team tried bak handsprings for the first time. It failed but he did it at home over a practice break. He came back with a very sloppy back handspring but it is still a back handspring. I think your coaches are trying to prevent sloppy tumbling

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

They don't spot at our gym either. The coach stands to the side, talks to the kid and demonstrates in great detail how to begin, all the phases and it clicks for some kids faster than others.
So from this point, what happens? The kid just throws it? That doesn't seem very safe. I think its very important to spot kids from the beginning, along with drills so their bodies get the feel of the skill and the way it feels to be upside down.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

We do very little spotting at my gym. We use progression drills and use equipment that allows it. IMO the less time spotting = the more repetition an athlete can do. Yes, we do spot but as little as possible.
I've taught from backwalkovers through double punch doubles without ever needing to spot the athlete. Also it greatly depends on the equipment and knowledge of the instructor.

So from this point, what happens? The kid just throws it? That doesn't seem very safe. I think its very important to spot kids from the beginning, along with drills so their bodies get the feel of the skill and the way it feels to be upside down.

They have the handspring trainer foam thing that they do on the floor if they are brand, brand new, like a lot of the rec tumble kids. But when ready to actually do it, and they wouldn't let you even attempt it if you couldn't do it, is on TumblTrak, no bounce, don't swing their arms, up already, I honestly don't know the steps, I learned the someone-on-their-knees way myself. This way is working and building confident tumblers at our gym, anyway. Then we have a rod strip and then the spring floor. And they never just go throw it without being supervised by a coach. They do one at a time, though, and the coach is standing down there, they just don't spot, but the kids get feedback after every attempt.

CP solid L3 after starting there L2 last year and doing it their way, too. Her arms had to really come around to their way in tumbling, jumping, everything.

I never learned a balk walkover but i can do a back bend but cant kick over. i do have a very flexible back and shoulders because i did swimming as well and used to stretch all the time. The thing is you have to get comfortable getting backwards. But i also did tumbling at a gymnastics gym and they worked on both with me at the same time. i do have a good round off and handstand snap down as well. But i am comfortable going backwards and dont have a problem tumbling.

My gym does spot but I actually prefer the "no spotting" method. I find myself slacking off when Im being spotted.
I learned my backhandspring AND standing tuck with 0 spots using this progression method:
1. Tumble Trak
2. Tumble Trak into the pit
3. Tumble Trak into the pit with a hard mat over pit
4. Tumble Trak with hard mat covering both pit and trak
5. Spring Floor to pit
6. Spring Floor to pit covered by a hard mat
7. Spring Floor

sounds kind of confusing but it works like a CHARM

They don't really spot a whole lot at my gym either, especially for skills harder than a back handspring. We transition from tumble track -> rod -> floor to pit -> floor. Coaches don't refuse to spot, but they prefer not to because they don't want us becoming dependent on a spotter. Learning it in progressions with proper drills and guidance helps us gain confidence in our skill, so that when it comes time to throw it on the floor, it's not nearly as intimidating. I worked on a full for 6 months or so and was spotted maybe 5 times total, but only because I was a weenie, not because I needed it. My coach told me that in most cases if you really need a spot on something harder than a back handspring, you should probably be correcting the skill prior to/before the one you're learning instead of moving on.

Back