OT Small College Vs Big College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
What would you all recommend for someone who can't visit any universities? I'm considering coming to America for college because I prefer the education system but there is no way I can afford to fly out and visit :(

i would say to stick with a state school. many of the state universities have great international programs. for example, my brother goes to University of California Los Angeles and he loves it. he says there is an international program and a lot of international students there.

Just to put it out there, big schools have attendance policies too. Don't think by going to a big school you can get out of going to class. haha. My class of over 200 had assigned seats, and a TA sat and took attendance. Some classes have you sign a sheet. My first semester of college one of my grades got lowered a letter grade because I missed 4 class periods, and the most you can miss was 3.

Granted there are some professors who don't care about attendance, but that's at any school. And if you want to do well in the class, you should probably go anyway =)

And to comment on the whole "feeling like a number" and "slipping through the cracks" discussion, yes, there is probably more of that at a larger school. Simply due to numbers. Everyone is different, and you can't generalize the entire student body. I would not trade my big school for anything. I love all meeting new people every single day, and the opportunities I have are virtually endless.

Different size schools are gong to work for different people. Football was not the number 1 reason I chose my school, but it's pretty high up there on my list. Some people might not understand it, but that's just me. haha =)

Just to put it out there, big schools have attendance policies too. Don't think by going to a big school you can get out of going to class. haha. My class of over 200 had assigned seats, and a TA sat and took attendance. Some classes have you sign a sheet. My first semester of college one of my grades got lowered a letter grade because I missed 4 class periods, and the most you can miss was 3.

Granted there are some professors who don't care about attendance, but that's at any school. And if you want to do well in the class, you should probably go anyway =)

And to comment on the whole "feeling like a number" and "slipping through the cracks" discussion, yes, there is probably more of that at a larger school. Simply due to numbers. Everyone is different, and you can't generalize the entire student body. I would not trade my big school for anything. I love all meeting new people every single day, and the opportunities I have are virtually endless.

Different size schools are gong to work for different people. Football was not the number 1 reason I chose my school, but it's pretty high up there on my list. Some people might not understand it, but that's just me. haha =)

I think cheerKT and I's point is.... No matter what school you go to YOU determine if your just a number. You can be proactive and make the effort to get to know your professors, or you can sit back and just be a number. However, at any school you go to, you will find you have professors that go out of their way to get to know you and you have those who don't. I can't speak for every SEC school, but I know our average ratio at Alabama for class size is 21 to 1 and we have 28,000+ students. If you want to go to a big school with great athletics and a nationally known university, you should! If you want to be able to go to a school where you know almost everyone you walk by on the way to class, you should! But just know, big or small, YOU determine how successful you are. Not the size of the school or your professors!

I have been looking at colleges today and they all keep talking about SAT/ACT tests, which tests are required for a college application?

I have been looking at colleges today and they all keep talking about SAT/ACT tests, which tests are required for a college application?

I depends on the school. Some require the ACT, and most require the SAT. In most cases it is ether one or the other.

most colleges will take one or the other. in my opinion, the ACT is easier than the SAT. and girls tend to do better on the ACT than the SAT.
however, some prestigious colleges will require both.

most colleges will take one or the other. in my opinion, the ACT is easier than the SAT. and girls tend to do better on the ACT than the SAT.
I was just about to say the same thing, except I thought the SAT was easier haha...although to be fair I only took a practice ACT, never the real thing so that could be the reason.

I depends on the school. Some require the ACT, and most require the SAT. In most cases it is ether one or the other.

Well for example I am currently looking at Columbia University on the collegeboard college search and it says that for international students SAT subject tests are required and SAT reasoning test or ACT is required but I can't find anything that goes into further detail such as which subjects etc.

I thought the ACT was easier, but I like how you can combine sections from different times you took the SAT to get a higher score. I ended up making higher on the SAT because of that.

But anyway, some schools do not require either of them, but most do. They might have different requirements for international students, though. Maybe contact the school and see their policy.

Well for example I am currently looking at Columbia University on the collegeboard college search and it says that for international students SAT subject tests are required and SAT reasoning test or ACT is required but I can't find anything that goes into further detail such as which subjects etc.

the test its self is a standardized test and has several sections on it. There are several online prep courses available. take a look at the SAT web site for sample tests as well.

here is the web site that can answer most if not all of your questions..

http://sat.collegeboard.com/register/?s_kwcid=TC|7002|sat||S||5654136644

subject tests are standardized tests that are on a specific subject. for example, i took subject tests in english and math. and the SAT and ACT are a combination of various subjects.

the test its self is a standardized test and has several sections on it. There are several online prep courses available. take a look at the SAT web site for sample tests as well.

here is the web site that can answer most if not all of your questions..

http://sat.collegeboard.com/register/?s_kwcid=TC|7002|sat||S||5654136644
The SAT is broad and covers many different subjects, but there are also SAT Subject tests offered in specific areas. A lot of prestigious schools require them (like Columbia University).

Here is some info about them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT_Subject_Tests

The school can probably lead you in the right direction =)

So is the SAT reasoning test a subject test?
The SAT reasoning test is the broad, longer test. The subject tests are the specific ones.

I've yet to come across any schools that require both the SAT and the ACT. Most prestigious schools do require SAT I and SAT II's or ACT with Writing, but I've never seen both required...

ACT's are supposed to be more science/math oriented, and SAT's are 2/3 English oriented. Most kids, if they are only taking one, take the SAT.

Back