All-Star Snow & Ice In South= Fml!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 1, 2010
I don't know about the rest of the southern gyms, but getting Snow & Ice here in South Carolina has been the death of me! I have one practice left with my Senior 5 team the Beatles before this weekend's Worlds Bid event, and I just got a call that our last girl pass, main flyer in pyramid broke her tail bone sleigh riding! We never have snow here but when we do have snow, it seems like everyone goes crazy here. They don't know how to act in it, lol. So my question is, should I try to make some sort of policy for my Worlds Level 5 teams that says they can't go out and play, or ski the week of a competition, or should I just say nothing and whatever happens, happens? I'm curious as to what other gyms do down here when the rare snow storm hits. It just seems as if I'm cursed and it always happens to our Level 5 kids!

I would say they cant do anything the week before a comp. I live in Missouri so we get snow every winter we are used to it. Our coaches dont want us to get hurt so they say try to stay inside and dont go play in they snow and act crazy .If you dont mind changing the routine then tell them they can do what they want in the snow.

I could easily tell them they can't go out the week of a competition. But, I know that people still will. So, my question is, would I be able to enforce the rule if I made it one. And if I did enforce it, what would the penalty be if they did go out and got hurt? Kick them out of the program, lol

The gym I go to is really small so we cant really kick anybody off but I say if you could afford for them not to compete at a comp. then dont let them or maybe extra conditioning.IMO if I had gotten hurt and not been able to compete then I would feel really bad and say sorry a bunch of times to the team and coaches for making them change it and I would hate sitting on the side at practice and a comp I think that would be a punishment for me. I broke my ankle but it was during practice and I absoulty hated sitting and watching.

Maybe if you lived where it snowed a lot you could make a rule like that. It seems a little harder to enforce that rule when you live somewhere that doesn't get snow frequently. As a parent, I would probably let my kid go sledding, even if you had that rule in place. I would be irritated if that was a rule, because my kids give up so much fun time with their school friends to cheer, and if they missed sledding the one time we got enough snow because of this rule I would be bothered.

I'm not being mean, I'm just giving an honest and different perspective. I know All Star Cheer is a choice....we say, it's not an activity, it's our lifestyle. But....I want my kids to be well rounded and to have fun experiences outside of cheer.

Kids can get hurt no matter what they are doing! My little one has been out of cheer for a month (she can't compete at Jamfest SN) because she broke a metacarpal bone in her hand during tumbling class. You just never know what is going to happen when.

my gym is in north carolina and we are going for a partial paid bid this weekend! but we had practice yesterday and (with permission from all the parents) will have it tomorrow and thursday. we definately have had our fair share of injuries from people not using their brain, but one thing my coaches press upon is whatever we do directly affects the team. If one person gets hurt, they are responsible for letting down the not only the coaches but the team. Everything from missing practice to stupid decisions let down the team and the coaches arent the ones stepping on the floor, we are. i guess because we have heard it for so long(and no one wants to be that girl) the coaches dont have to worry about us as much in the snow and ice. But the ice is a pain isnt it?!

I could easily tell them they can't go out the week of a competition. But, I know that people still will. So, my question is, would I be able to enforce the rule if I made it one. And if I did enforce it, what would the penalty be if they did go out and got hurt? Kick them out of the program, lol

I dont think you can make unenforceable rules because they end up not being affective. I would try the approach of asking them as adults to be smart the last week. This story, while it sucks for now, will be a great teaching tool and proof of what happens when you do silly things before a comp.

And as for as a snow goes... yeah... Athletic in Chattanooga took down the schedule at this moment. Who knows why.

I agree that the rule can never be enforced, and I don't like having rules that can't be enforced. We performed Sunday, and everyone knew that the snow storm was coming and school and practices would be cancelled. We told both of our Level 5 Worlds Teams to be smart and safe, but that main Level 5 flyer still broke her tailbone. Now, we have to re-work a routine for Worlds bids this weekend, with a girl who hasn't been in all-stars for all season, and we can't even get out of our driveways to call a practice, LOL. It's a horrible predicament, and we tried the be safe route, and the reality is that if you go sledding, skiing or ice skating the week of an event, you very well could be hurt. So, I feel like From now on, I will just make that a rule for all Level 5 teams that they can't do any of that the week of a competition; should they get snow. Don't know if it's right or not, but I feel like now that this happened, I will make it a rule.

One year we asked the kids not to sled because a few had gotten hurt and one kid decided to "sled" in her sleeping bag down the (inside) steps. She broke her thumb : (

Like I said in the other thread. I really stress on my kids how important they are to us. Nobody can replace them ! I try to make them feel so valuable that they don't want to take any risks that will potentially hurt themselves and the team. Sometimes if it is their idea they abide by it more.

One year we asked the kids not to sled because a few had gotten hurt and one kid decided to "sled" in her sleeping bag down the (inside) steps. She broke her thumb : (

Like I said in the other thread. I really stress on my kids how important they are to us. Nobody can replace them ! I try to make them feel so valuable that they don't want to take any risks that will potentially hurt themselves and the team. Sometimes if it is their idea they abide by it more.

Great advice Karen..Thanx!

I dont think you can make unenforceable rules because they end up not being affective. I would try the approach of asking them as adults to be smart the last week. This story, while it sucks for now, will be a great teaching tool and proof of what happens when you do silly things before a comp.

And as for as a snow goes... yeah... Athletic in Chattanooga took down the schedule at this moment. Who knows why.

I noticed that they had removed the schedule today as well. They aren't supposed to have snow this weekend so I hope they are just working on it. We love this competition and would hate to not be able to go. But we have lots of snow and have not been able to practice the last couple of days so that IS a bit nerve wracking during competiton week.

I noticed that they had removed the schedule today as well. They aren't supposed to have snow this weekend so I hope they are just working on it. We love this competition and would hate to not be able to go. But we have lots of snow and have not been able to practice the last couple of days so that IS a bit nerve wracking during competiton week.

I heard it was supposed to sleet and ice again Friday night.

Man, if we gotta have winter weather why can't it be white fluffy and pretty?

i would warn them & tell them about what happened to the girl who broke her arm & maybe they'll think twice before they go out. if they still go out & get hurt... shame on em.

I heard it was supposed to sleet and ice again Friday night.

Man, if we gotta have winter weather why can't it be white fluffy and pretty?

as long as it will wait for me to get through MontEagle! I agree, white and fluffy is much nicer, we really don't need ice.

Back