So You Made The Team..now What?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

E

Editor

Read Full Article...

tryouts-150x150.jpg
Tryouts are finally over and everyone is excited about getting to know their new team, but what’s the best way to make sure you start off the year on the right foot? Throughout my cheerleading career I have been a part of several “new” teams and I’ve put together 5 helpful hints based on my experience.
  1. Have an Open Mind- this is my first and probably most helpful hint on how to interact with a new team. It doesn’t matter if you are a returner or brand new to the program because this applies to everyone! Your coach might ask you to base on the opposite side, try a new tumbling pass, learn a different side of the cheer etc. and in order for the team to progress, you need to have an open mind. Your coach wouldn’t ask you to try something new unless it was going to benefit the team, so trust him or her! Also, you might love basing on the opposite side even more! Try whatever your coach asks you to do and do it with a smile
    icon_smile.gif
  2. Ask Questions- When I moved to Alabama my world was turned upside down because everything was so different! Asking my coach and team members questions is the only way I learned! Don’t be afraid to speak up if there is something you don’t understand. It could be anything from what to wear to practice to how do we wear our hair for games? Remember, there are no stupid questions!
  3. Reach Out to New Members- the best advice I can give to returners is to reach our to your new team members! I know what it feels like to be new to a program and something simple like a text from a returner would make my day! Get the numbers of all of the new people on your team and do your best to invite them to hang out or just let them know you’re excited to have them on your team. It’s something that takes only a few seconds, but means the world to someone new!
  4. Stay Positive- this might seem like generic advice, but it is extremely helpful when you are working with a brand new team. Returners- stay positive and keep encouraging your new members. You are the ones who set the tone for the team and you need to lead by example. You might be asked to work with a new top girl who doesn’t quite get it, but stay positive and keep encouraging her! New team members- stay positive even if something isn’t hitting perfect on the first day. Remember, you are learning with a new program, coach and team and your skills are probably not going to hit on the first day, and that’s OK!
  5. Keep Improving- you reached your goal and made the team, but that doesn’t mean the hard work is over. In fact, it’s just beginning! During the summer, make sure you take the time to work on the required skills and stay in shape. When you show up for your first practice you should be ready to get the year started and not have to relearn everything from tryouts!
Congratulations to everyone who made the team this year and good luck to those of you still trying out! Follow these 5 steps and I can promise that you will be on the right path to a successful season!
- Ryan Martin

cupieqt Thanks do you know what time tomorrow?
actually no. I was yankin your chain bc I thought it was an odd question for the fierceboard and this thread in particular since it has nothing to do with CA.

That's when our y2 practices. Hope you find out the info soon!

Back