High School Special Needs Cheerleader A Liability

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I first read about this last week, and now I believe things have already been solved with her family and the district. She is allowed to cheer sidelines, but not participate in stunting Teen with Down syndrome scores spot on high school cheerleading squad - NY Daily News

The Fierce Board App!

But we know lots of special needs athletes that can stunt. So it's a compromise, but everyone that reads it still thinks special needs athletes have stereotypical limitations.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I've emailed one of the reporters and asked her to pass along my info to the family. Hopefully the family will contact me, and if they do, I'll contact y'all specifically.

But we know lots of special needs athletes that can stunt. So it's a compromise, but everyone that reads it still thinks special needs athletes have stereotypical limitations.

Whether they do or don't, since she made the team, don't they have to make accommodations because of ADA?

I first read about this last week, and now I believe things have already been solved with her family and the district. She is allowed to cheer sidelines, but not participate in stunting Teen with Down syndrome scores spot on high school cheerleading squad - NY Daily News

The Fierce Board App!
2 reasons the district compromised...

1. It's a national story, and not one they can control. Bad news for the school board.

2. ADA. Welcome to a lawsuit they weren't going to win. Welcome to the ACLU camping on your doorstep. Welcome to a bigger story that you really can't control.

This is a bad deal. Yes, she may now stand on the sidelines, and when the team stunts, they can tell her to stand to the side. Great. I'm surrounded by the warm fuzzies :rolleyes:

From what my mutual friend has told me, they were very busy this weekend with homecoming. The mom did accept my friend request on Facebook so I sent her another message. I'll have to get my mutual friend to get in touch with her again. I'll keep you all posted!!

If that's what they're calling a liability...I know plenty of cheerleaders who fit that description. None of them have Downs.

Yeah, they have more HUA than anything else. lol

I mean, how many times have we seen cheerleaders at NFL games get run into? And they are WAY off the field.

Whats the status? Because there times of the two news stories are conflicting. The one that says shes allowed is dated the 26th, the one that says she may not be is dated the 27th...

Looks like Brittney is back on the field! Just read an article that she was back at it with her team yesterday at a football game. :)

I am glad that I saw this post a little after the fact, or I would have gone haywire on that school! Working in the SpEd department, I have plenty of my students on our teams, and everyone, the school, the students, the parents, not only welcome this with open arms, but they encourage it as well!

I actually wanted to get a special needs cheer team going to start cheering at our special plympics basketball games, and could not believe the overwhelming support I had recived from everyone at the school!

Some people need to be shipped off to an island, never to be heard from again!

Back