All-Star Spirit Of Hope Nationals Charlotte, Nc 1/17/15-1/18/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to chuckle at your viewpoint @Jettplane_JB , because the reality is that without us irritating, scoresheet-reading, over-involved parents, you and your fellow coaches, owners, EPs, music mixers, choreographers, bow-makers and stunt-standers wouldn't have jobs.
Matter of fact, there wouldn't be all-star cheer at all.
If you like the sport, thank us, because we're the ONLY source of revenue in this industry.

Nothing against parents at all @Mamarazzi ...you guys pay our bills like you said but truth is truth! I have grown up in this industry with and around some pretty awesome parents in cheer! Some take care of coaches better than some owners do.

But again you all pay US to coach, know the rules, adhere to them and put winning routines on the mat! There are those select parents that drive owners, coaches and fellow parents up the wall with all of their "knowledge" of the industry! You have them in every sport/performance/competitive activity and I'm sure we all know a few so I apologize if you felt I was taking a dig at all cheer parents just giving you an answer and opinion of the question at hand!

BTW: this was a comment made by some actual EPs and Gym Owners during group discussions this season. Please don't shoot the messenger! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY CHEER PARENTS!...Well most of them lol

Last edited:
Nothing against parents at all @Mamarazzi ...you guys pay our bills like you said but truth is truth! I have grown up in this industry with and around some pretty awesome parents in cheer! Some take of coaches better than some owners do. But again you all pay US to coach, know the rules, adhere to them and put winning routines on the mat! There are those select parents that drive owners, coaches and fellow parents up the wall with all of their "knowledge" of the industry! You have them in every sport/performance/competitive activity so I apologize if you felt I was taking a dig at all cheer parents just giving you an answer and opinion of the question at hand!

BTW: this was a comment made by some actual EPs and Gym Owners during group discussions this season. Please don't shoot the messenger! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY CHEER PARENTS!...Well most of them lol

Oh, I've heard coaches and owners flat-out say that if parents weren't involved in this sport at all, they would be happy, so I know it gets said.
And I suppose if diva, Peter Pan coaches and owners who think they know how to run a successful business because they executed a fantastic toss to hands in college didn't exist, I'd be happy too.

ETA- I think that's what really gets me heated about hearing things like this. Yes, there are nutty cheer parents. They pluck my nerves too. But we all seem to get lumped into this category of insanity and everyone in this industry would jump up and down with glee if we just shut up, came to comps to clap, or disappeared altogether. Not sorry, but my kids, first, and my money, second, give me every right to know what's going on.

Last edited:
Oh, I've heard coaches and owners flat-out say that if parents weren't involved in this sport at all, they would be happy, so I know it gets said.
And I suppose if diva, Peter Pan coaches and owners who think they know how to run a successful business because they executed a fantastic toss to hands in college didn't exist, I'd be happy too.
Now THIS I absolutely have to agree with! As a coach I have worked with some amazing people....and some not so much! I truly find it hard to respect a coach who says such things! Maybe I'm biased because I had to play both the coach and parent role sponsoring one of my younger siblings all-star bill and all things cheer related for 2 seasons on my own so I know how it is from that standpoint. I had to get on a gym owner a few years ago for making a similar statement in my presence and I was completely turned off from the program and offended as a coach/parent. You can ask anyone in the VA Beach, MD/DC area that knows of me and they can tell you I treat everyone with respect parents, coaches, athletes, EPs etc. I was raised to treat and take care of people they way you would treat your own. Humility is seriously a trait that is far fetched in most of this industry.

ETA- I think that's what really gets me heated about hearing things like this. Yes, there are nutty cheer parents. They pluck my nerves too. But we all seem to get lumped into this category of insanity and everyone in this industry would jump up and down with glee if we just shut up, came to comps to clap, or disappeared altogether. Not sorry, but my kids, first, and my money, second, give me every right to know what's going on.
Amen.....I think parents who don't question are the nutty ones, but there is a BIG difference between wanting information and being insane. As a customer (and that is what my CP and I are) we deserve to know scoring at a comp. We deserve to know what direction the team is going. No one with any sense will just hand over money and not require feedback/information on the funds spent. Unfortunately, some coaches and owners think once they get a contract signed, they should not be questioned or held accountable to anyone. Those will be the gyms that will not last for any length of time. And remember...if we parents disappear altogether...so does our money....

Every coach was given the final scores and results for the division.
At Rockstar we give the results to our parents and our athletes so they stay informed as much as we do. I think it is important to educate the parents and your athletes as much as possible even if you don't agree with the judges scoring.

Last edited:
Wow... Wasn't trying to prompt that discussion! LOL....

Just wanted to see how close we were... To others in the division and to those that got bids. Not trying to prod coaches either... Just curious. This is the time of year I just avoid entering the gym. Cheersport, NCA, and UCA all too close.

At Rockstar we give the results to our parents and our athletes so they stay informed as much as we do. I think it is important to educate the parents and your athletes as much as possible even if you don't agree with the judges scoring.

Were you given scores for all divisions so you could see what the scores were for bid-winners vs non-bid-winners?

Yes our gym gives parents and athletes the chance to view the scores and the scores for all the divisions we were in and that they have. They will explain to you what happened on what team. What the judges didn't like and what the judges love.

I know other gyms in our area like to hide the scores from their parents and tell them things like you would of won that division ... "If"..

-and I have got the scoresheets and showed some of them. I'm so tried of coaches lying to parents. It drives me up the wall... If the judges don't like our dance they tell us, if they think are baskets are ugly they tell us. I love having the information... Not so I can coach and tell them what they are doing wrong or that they need to fix but knowing that they know what's wrong and we will better that next time!

*makes a note that I have to thank my parents profoundly, because they are truly amazing this year*

*makes a note that I have to thank my parents profoundly, because they are truly amazing this year*

A lot of parents are amazing. Too many coaches and owners think that if we see a scoresheet, we'll blame them for scoring, choreo, this or that athlete not throwing a skill, or hold the info so we can blame them for not winning Nationals later. Furthermore, us parents could see where Sally's All Stars outscored us across every division and Heaven forbid we might join that gym.
That's not necessarily the case.

I don't want to know every inch of the scoresheets. I don't do choreo or coach. Those are services I pay handsomely for so I have zero desire to do it. If any of you can't trust your program to do that exact thing without your input I advise you to not walk but RUN away from that program. You and your CP will be happier if you do.
What I don't understand the unwillingness of EPs, owners, coaches and associations to be transparent when it comes to scores. I can look in my paper and see the scores of just about every sport from rec baseball to gymnastics. So why should Allstar be any different? Secrecy leads to speculation and speculation leads to rumors.
Yes there are insane parents but that is not exclusive to Allstar and frankly there are just as many bad apples on the coaching and owner side, recent stories prove that, but that is also not exclusive to Allstar.

Were you given scores for all divisions so you could see what the scores were for bid-winners vs non-bid-winners?

We were given all the scores for our divisions. Also at the results table you could view all the scores for all divisions. If I was interested in other divisions, which I was not, I could have looked and took pictures of them.

I think some gyms resist sharing scores because they don't want parents and athletes to know that their routines are just not competitive. It's a hard pill to swallow when you see score sheets and realize that even if your routine had been performed flawlessly you didn't stand a chance to win.
That's what I have always suspected. I believe that EP's support the owners/coaches wishes by not posting the scores. I would think that by purchasing a ticket/entrance to their events, we should have the ability to see scores. I don't even care if it is a few days later.
As a parent, I want to know if our team's routine is competitive. If it's not, then changes or levels have to be reevaluated. I think it is cruel to let kids think they are competitive, hit a great routine, then wonder why they didn't win/place well. After all this time, I am pretty educated but would still like to see how things get scored. VERY disappointing that gyms/EPs feel they can be deceptive in this aspect.

Latest posts

Back