All-Star Sports Bras Vs. T-shirts For Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

sports bras only or t-shirt?

• Total voters
My issue isn't creepy people exactly, its more a personal preference of teaching modesty with your body. When my CP is older and can make me believe that she is taking her t-shirt off and performing a sports bra it is for comfort, rationally sports related issues and not to be "cute" I won't have a problem with her practicing in her sports bra. With her cheer uniform, bathing suits etc. we try to teach her there is a time and a place for those type of garments and that it is not for everyone to see you in your undergarments. The idea of who should see what parts of your body and when starts at a young age. Older girls have a better awareness of body safety and are more wary of strangers' glances than younger girls (or they should be)...

I see. Your point of view makes sense. Thanks for the reply. :)

how can we not love this?
pw.jpg
This is soo cute, I really want one! :)

My issue isn't creepy people exactly, its more a personal preference of teaching modesty with your body. When my CP is older and can make me believe that she is taking her t-shirt off and performing a sports bra it is for comfort, rationally sports related issues and not to be "cute" I won't have a problem with her practicing in her sports bra. With her cheer uniform, bathing suits etc. we try to teach her there is a time and a place for those type of garments and that it is not for everyone to see you in your undergarments. The idea of who should see what parts of your body and when starts at a young age. Older girls have a better awareness of body safety and are more wary of strangers' glances than younger girls (or they should be)...
I always look at it like...say swiming..ie speedo....or gymnastics....an outfit for a sport...do my cp's run around town like this....no....but in the cheer world...it is accepted...:)

We get to wear whatever we want for practise :- ) Personally I prefer sportsbra, but Norway can be quite COLD in the winter. Some girls even show up in their pyjamas, looking like they just got up....

Practicing in sports bras is not allowed at our gym. Our gym has always had this conservative rule.

Yeah I know this is old but I wanted to add this, And it's really not me debating anything it's just more like a statement! Lol

Towards the beginning of this thread I mentioned how my cp was not required but pretty much everytime she goes to cheer practice she wears a sports bra.

Well anyways in the end of July we moved so I still take her to her gym 3times a week for cheer practice but on Wednesdays I take her to a local all star gym who also is a gymnastics gym just for an extra tumbling class!

Anyways the first day we went there she planned on wearing her sports bra but she wore her tshirt over it just till we got to the gym. Well we walked in and of over like 100 girls they all had on leotards for gymnastics and all the cheerleaders had on shirt and shorts. So I told her to leave her shirt on. Well she did and every week she goes there she wears shirts. Anyways at the end of practice today she asked one of the coaches if she can just wear a sports bra he said he didn't care but he asked another coach to see if it was allowed and He said yeah she can, well I asked them what they were talking about and they told me so he asked was I ok with this. I told him yeah that's fine and I proceeded to tell him what I just wrote above and he told me that it's not against the rules or anything it's just no has ever done it. Now the cheer uniforms they have are full tops so I'm sure alot of those girls don't think of only wearing sports bras to practice.

Anyways jaylen is so excited she gets to wear sports bras now but now I think were going to be like the only one doing it and I'm sure I'll probably get a lot of looks from parents haha

Most of the girls on our senior teams prefer sports bras. Its the girls choice. Our little girls are not allowed to just wear sports bras, because of the fact that they are little girls. I prefer a sports bra over a tshirt any day. It feels much better than a tshirt. That's just my opinion though. Our guy coaches are around it all the time, and have just gotten used to it. Now, if you get super sweaty and gross, you might wanna put a shirt on, but it's always your choice.

Personally, I think it would be nice if a gym had everyone get two practice outfits. One the whole gym gets and a personalized one for each team. I think the practice outfits should each include a tee shirt, sports bra, soffee shorts, spankies and maybe a bow. That way, you have the option of wearing the sports bra or the tee so everyone is comfortable.

I'll comment from an instructors point of view.. so as far as spotting is concerned, t-shirts can be very difficult and somewhat dangerous!! Maybe it's been just me, but I have had my entire forearm engulfed and tangled in t-shirts, to the point of it actually being painful!! T-shirts are baggy and flap around during tumbling, which makes it difficult to actually "spot" the childs body!! I prefer sports bras because there is not interference when you are trying to catch them in mid air, and aide their landings!! When it is hot, and everyone is a bit sweaty, coaches included, it isn't really that much of a big deal!! If a coach is confident in their spotting abilities, and the kids trust that they won't be dropped, sometimes a little bit of a smooth, or less abrasive spot, is a good thing!!

i prefer my girls in sports bras or fitted shirts .. its easier to see their body lines . tee-shirts dont look put together to me and are sloppy looking !! also i believe that if competing in half tops girls should learn to feel comfortable having there belly revealed. on that note i do not push girls to show there belly if they are not comfortable !!

Practicing in sports bras is not allowed at our gym. Our gym has always had this conservative rule.
I am conservative and my daughters practice in sports bras and spanks...I tell people its the same as if they were swimmers, or gymnasts....I do not let them walk around town like that but in the cheer element...I do not feel that them working out in clothing that makes coaching and performing for them easier makes me or our gym less conservative...IMO

I am conservative and my daughters practice in sports bras and spanks...I tell people its the same as if they were swimmers, or gymnasts....I do not let them walk around town like that but in the cheer element...I do not feel that them working out in clothing that makes coaching and performing for them easier makes me or our gym less conservative...IMO
I didn't mean to imply that athletes who wear sports bras aren't conservative. I agree that being conservative is something that is taught at home by the parents. I don't agree with our gym's policy at all -- as someone pointed out earlier, a sports bra is a crop top without the long sleeves. In the hot summer months, our athletes would love to practice in sports bras and shorts. For some reason, our gym owner has always felt very strongly about not allowing it.

Our gym switched to GK practice outfits (gk spanks...that are really fitted shorts and gk fitted tops ...senior team has half tops but had the option to get full) for reasons that make sense. 1. easier to spot 2. developing girls...a lot of times girls would wear t shirts with no sports bras and their shirts would come up while tumbling....it just takes the away the risk of something appearing to be inappropriate when it really isnt. Students just in tumbling are asked to wear sports bras as well

I didn't mean to imply that athletes who wear sports bras aren't conservative. I agree that being conservative is something that is taught at home by the parents. I don't agree with our gym's policy at all -- as someone pointed out earlier, a sports bra is a crop top without the long sleeves. In the hot summer months, our athletes would love to practice in sports bras and shorts. For some reason, our gym owner has always felt very strongly about not allowing it.
oh..I see...I get it...sry..Im a dork...:)

i dont really understand what the big deal is if you wear a sports bra? i mean its not like your going to school like that...and most of time there are no guys at your gym that are interested in you. do you understand what im saying. and lets say a kid does wear a sports bra to prac. are they told to put a shirt on? or what...?

its also better for a visual as the coach to, i mean a coach doesnt enjoy looking at baggy t-shirts.

Back