All-Star Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
Congrats to the new Worlds champions!! These teams showed amazing sportsmanship at awards!! To hold your excitement when the 2nd place team was called really shows your class. Top Gun, Georgia, Kentucky Elite, Spirit of Texas, Gymtyme, Maryland, and Stingrays!!

Congrats to the new Worlds champions!! These teams showed amazing sportsmanship at awards!! To hold your excitement when the 2nd place team was called really shows your class. Top Gun, Georgia, Kentucky Elite, Spirit of Texas, Gymtyme, Maryland, and Stingrays!!

I don't disagree with your post, however, what is wrong with a team celebrating a win or showing disappointment with a loss.
Far too often cheerleaders are "forced" into a predetermined criteria of sportsmanship. In other sports we celebrate the thrill of victory AND the agony of defeat.

all year teams got complained about when they celebrated "too early" !

and since it obvious that this is referring to senior elite .... I find it funny that no one complained when they celebrated too early ...

Sorry, but I see nothing wrong with SE celebrating a win that their gym has been trying to reach for many many years. Not just winning Worlds, but their gym has been working for around 15 years to be first in Large All-Girl. The teams that were mentioned above have numerous 1st place wins. It's a lot easier to contain yourself when winning 1st hasn't been a long time coming.

Congrats to Courtney and SE for finally breaking into the Gold!!!!!!!

As someone who wanted CEA SE to win (my favorite routine of the entire year), thinks it was deserved and was beyond thrilled when they did, I can tell you that I was sad for WCSS not having any chance to celebrate. I think every team should have their moment and they earned theirs. I also think that the reaction to SE's win was completely spontaneous, NOT meant to be hurtful in anyway and with the score as close as it was I'm sure that everyone of the girls were all nerves, I know I was and I don't have anyone on the team. I hope that all of the girls from each of the teams are proud of themselves for the amazing routines they put out on the floor both days.

Does anyone know if the teams from the following award sessions being asked to send 2 members to the back for a meeting before the awards were started had anything to do with this topic?

In defense of the actual team members of Senior Elite...I can tell you this...I was sitting in the stands when WC was announced as being in second place and every single person in those stands went berserk!!! So whether or not the actual se girls would have been totally quiet and restrained themselves, they did not have a chance because all the stands went so crazy....So the way I see it is that the reprimanding comments should be directed to the stands, not the girls themselves. And to be honest, I really didn't see WC as wanting to 'celebrate' their silver medal...they were quite obviously very disappointed, and rightfully so because all of those teams fought to the finish!! If it were not for the cheers from the crowd for SE, I think it would have been awkwardly silent with only some shocked clapping happening at that point, in disbelief of what was just announced...As we all know, this particular win and WC not getting their 4 peat was highly emotional for soooo many people!...I just don't think there is any way to contain that kind of raw emotion!

Whenever someone brings up "celebrating too early" it reminds me of the big beauty pageants such as Miss America. When the final two contestants are standing there and the first runner up is announced, you almost never see her, all the attention is directed to the winner. Not that being second isn't important, like spirited1 said, it's the raw emotion. People don't need to be rude, give the second place team their time, but you can't expect people not be be excited for the first place winner.

if ANY other team did celebrate like they did though .... People would be throwing fits ... It's so hyprocritical !

In defense of the actual team members of Senior Elite...I can tell you this...I was sitting in the stands when WC was announced as being in second place and every single person in those stands went berserk!!! So whether or not the actual se girls would have been totally quiet and restrained themselves, they did not have a chance because all the stands went so crazy....So the way I see it is that the reprimanding comments should be directed to the stands, not the girls themselves. And to be honest, I really didn't see WC as wanting to 'celebrate' their silver medal...they were quite obviously very disappointed, and rightfully so because all of those teams fought to the finish!! If it were not for the cheers from the crowd for SE, I think it would have been awkwardly silent with only some shocked clapping happening at that point, in disbelief of what was just announced...As we all know, this particular win and WC not getting their 4 peat was highly emotional for soooo many people!...I just don't think there is any way to contain that kind of raw emotion!

This is about on the money. They were told to stay still, they tried to stay still if you watch the tape, and they just could not for the period of time. Let me throw a little light on why their plans went awry. If you watch the awards tape, the ESPN cameraman comes down to the floor to film the winners up close. He is top left in the Khaki pants. When they saw him go to the WC group, they thought they had lost. Something I think you have to do a few times to understand. Someone taps the guy on the shoulder and tells him to move to the SE side. They went from thinking they had lost to not be willing to assume they won in a very few seconds. They tried, but with the other team members and the fans, they lost it a bit. So, deep in your heart, try to give them a bit of a break. 15 years and a whole gym family counting on them pushed them over the edge.

<<Brutally Honest Opinion Alert>>

It irks me when people judge a team's sportsmanship by how well they can control a fantastically happy moment in their life. That is about 100 miles down the list of things I would use to place judgement on someone else for their level of sportsmanship.

We train our teams to remain seated until their name is called - not because we really believe that their character is revealed by how well they can keep from looking happy, but because we know that the kids would get blasted by the harsh judgement of the crowd who is always looking for something to criticize.

I personally think that it is much more tacky to come on message boards and trash talk a team for standing up 5 seconds too early than it is for a team to actually stand up "too early."

<<Brutally Honest Opinion Alert>>

It irks me when people judge a team's sportsmanship by how well they can control a fantastically happy moment in their life. That is about 100 miles down the list of things I would use to place judgement on someone else for their level of sportsmanship.

We train our teams to remain seated until their name is called - not because we really believe that their character is revealed by how well they can keep from looking happy, but because we know that the kids would get blasted by the harsh judgement of the crowd who is always looking for something to criticize.

I personally think that it is much more tacky to come on message boards and trash talk a team for standing up 5 seconds too early than it is for a team to actually stand up "too early."

And let me say this about CA over the last 9 years of competing against them at NCA and Worlds. There are not a set a kids nicer, when you lose to them, which we have more than not, or when you beat them. Including this instance at Worlds. Props to your staff and athletes, especially considering that for 15 years, you have been at the top of the heap with every body gunning for you. We can all learn from your organization.

This is about on the money. They were told to stay still, they tried to stay still if you watch the tape, and they just could not for the period of time. Let me throw a little light on why their plans went awry. If you watch the awards tape, the ESPN cameraman comes down to the floor to film the winners up close. He is top left in the Khaki pants. When they saw him go to the WC group, they thought they had lost. Something I think you have to do a few times to understand. Someone taps the guy on the shoulder and tells him to move to the SE side. They went from thinking they had lost to not be willing to assume they won in a very few seconds. They tried, but with the other team members and the fans, they lost it a bit. So, deep in your heart, try to give them a bit of a break. 15 years and a whole gym family counting on them pushed them over the edge.

As much as I can appreciate your justification for SE's early excitement, I can also remember previous years (all 3) when WC has been dragged through the mud for their excitement when realizing that they won the gold! And most had something negative to say about how they handled their win. Most, if i remember correctly, from last year were from CEA!! Your reasoning seems somewhat hypocritical, now that your team is on the other side?????????

As much as I can appreciate your justification for SE's early excitement, I can also remember previous years (all 3) when WC has been dragged through the mud for their excitement when realizing that they won the gold! And most had something negative to say about how they handled their win. Most, if i remember correctly, from last year were from CEA!! Your reasoning seems somewhat hypocritical, now that your team is on the other side?????????

Don't remember it Justice. The last 3 years before this year the only time I questioned the winner was CA and WC 3 years ago, the first WC win. I thought CA won. The last 2 years, although both of these teams, WC and CEA had issues with sportsmanship, I have not questioned WC's winning or celebration, other than 2 years ago and let's just let that go. WC clearly won 3 in a row, I see that this year, the SE win is not setting quite as well. Did the cameraman have something to do with that? I can't speak for other CEA people, but frankly, I could care less about celebrating early, it does not bother me in the least, and I did not question whether or not WC won except vs CA 3 years ago. That said, there is always next year, and I think we both better worry about whether or not Cali does a large senior team all girl.

It's not a matter of questioning the winner! Heck, everyone does that. My point is in your response "the last 2 years, although both of these teams, WC and CEA had issues with sportsmanship, I have not questioned WC's winning or celebration, other than 2 years ago and let's just let that go. What happened in "their win" that was questionable? And now why is it something that you want to let go?? Maybe because your team did exactly what STARS did, and got crucified for?

okay...I'M just gonna put it out there...I would be embarrassed if my daughter's team behaved at awards as did CEA. It was the most unsportsmanship reaction that I have EVER seen. My heart went out to WCSS.
they couldn't even celebrate their 2nd place win. How dare you...How dare you!! I hope Courtney is proud of her team's behavior...I will never forget it and will always remember CEA in this light

Back