All-Star Sprained Knee! =(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 3, 2010
I managed to injure my knee while doing a full! :(
I went to the doctor and they diagnosed it as a sprained knee.
I was wondering how long does it take for full recovery and is there anyway to speed up recovery besides the RICE method?
The doctor said i could return to activity in 5 days but, I don't think he truly understands what kind of physical activity i'm really returning to!

You need to be careful with Knee injuries... they are almost as bad as Ankle Sprains, they can come back to haunt you if you don't take care of it... I wouldn't be throwing fulls for at least 2 weeks... ive battled knee problems for years and its cause i never let it heal properly so now its pretty much permanetley damaged and yes i still tumble but the pain is always there! I suggest taking an Epsom salt bath 3 times weekly in the next 2 weeks... trust me it really helps you can buy them at any grocery store or pharmacy!

Along with rice I would try and strengthening your knee. Start of slow and then increase the intensity so that you dont re-injure your knee.

My daughter was originally diagnosed with a sprained or as the doctor put it a "tweak" knee; and was told to rest it for week. When the swelling did not go down we were sent for an MRI which showed she had a torn ACL. She is out for the entire 2011-2012 season (she will not be released until end the beginning of April). Rest your knee and if doesn't get better or gives out then request an MRI. Once your knee is healed you will need to do conditioning so that you do not re-injure your knee.:)

I tore my acl and sprained my same knee a year later and they felt the same. So I would get an MRI to make sure nothing is torn!

My daughter was originally diagnosed with a sprained or as the doctor put it a "tweak" knee; and was told to rest it for week. When the swelling did not go down we were sent for an MRI which showed she had a torn ACL. She is out for the entire 2011-2012 season (she will not be released until end the beginning of April). Rest your knee and if doesn't get better or gives out then request an MRI. Once your knee is healed you will need to do conditioning so that you do not re-injure your knee.:)
Did she have surgery or is she just out for resting time,?

Did she have surgery or is she just out for resting time,?
She had to have ACL reconstruction surgery. She is currently doing PT 3-4 times a week; Doctor says she can begin tumbling in March no rotations; she can return to doing fulls and doubles in April.

She had to have ACL reconstruction surgery. She is currently doing PT 3-4 times a week; Doctor says she can begin tumbling in March no rotations; she can return to doing fulls and doubles in April.
,&& When did she have her surgery?

You need to be careful with Knee injuries... they are almost as bad as Ankle Sprains, they can come back to haunt you if you don't take care of it... I wouldn't be throwing fulls for at least 2 weeks... ive battled knee problems for years and its cause i never let it heal properly so now its pretty much permanetley damaged and yes i still tumble but the pain is always there! I suggest taking an Epsom salt bath 3 times weekly in the next 2 weeks... trust me it really helps you can buy them at any grocery store or pharmacy!
After you injured your knee when were you able to return to tumbling and jumping. (No fulls)

Do not rush recovery especially with knee injuries. I tore my right MCL and rushed back and now have more problems then i did before, 6 years later i now have to have an arthroscopy done in a few weeks.. And always get a second opinion because I had the same problem one doctor told me it was an MCL sprain and turns out it was torn​

My knee was diagnosed as a sprain when I went to the hospital...... it was actually a torn ACL and meniscus.

last feb i "sprained" my MCL on my left knee.... it took about a month to fully recover to where i felt comfortable tumbling on it again.... but when its cold it hurts... i have issues getting up and down my stairs in the morning... lately ...since it has been cold in the gym ..my knee has been really tight......

just tonite at practice i had an epic stunt fail and my fly landed on my right knee some how and now i cant bend it..hopefully its nothing too serious...i dont see swelling yet ..... but im def gunna baby it until its time to compete next weekend

all i can say really is to DONT rush your recovery no matter how long you need to be out for... DEF do strengthening exercises for it... if you can hop on a stationary bike or an oliptical that would help too

agreed with CJ id rice it and do therapy.
you dont want to rush it thats the last thing you want to do.

What part of your knees is sprained? I sprained my LCL doing a double and in was out for about 3/4 weeks and havenyet to return to doing doubles. I would stay off it until you feel it's Better then start slowly back into tumbling like someone else said mine still hurts a little when it's cold

Back