All-Star Spray Tanning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2010
Hey everyone
So I've never gotten a spray tan before but I'm really pale and I don't have time to tan before my next competition. As a spray tanning newbie I have a lot of questions...
- How dark of a lotion should I pick?
- How do I become tan instead of orange?
- Any recommended tanning salons?
- How many days before competition should I get it?
- Will it get on my uniform if I sweat?
- What do I wear to a spray tan?
Sorry for all the questions. Any help is appreciated :)

If you go to a place that is one on one, that they do it with small sprayer- they should pick a shade that is good for you. I find the L'oreal sublime spray that you can buy in a drugstore works really well if you want to do it at home. Do it the night before and sleep in something that you don't care about staining. It will usually come off when you sweat or if you go in a pool.

Get natural or the lightest one they offer until you're used to them. I always wear old shorts and a tshirt so if it happens to rub off its not on something I like even if it does come out. Make sure you put a crap ton of the lotion protectant on your hands, knees, elbows, knees, and feet. Don't touch any part of your body that got spray tanned for Atleast an hour. Wash your hands Aa much as possible. Out of all the spray tan places I've tried, sun tan city is my favorite. Oh, and don't waste your money on the scents. They do nothing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Get natural or the lightest one they offer until you're used to them. I always wear old shorts and a tshirt so if it happens to rub off its not on something I like even if it does come out. Make sure you put a crap ton of the lotion protectant on your hands, knees, elbows, knees, and feet. Don't touch any part of your body that got spray tanned for Atleast an hour. Wash your hands Aa much as possible. Out of all the spray tan places I've tried, sun tan city is my favorite. Oh, and don't waste your money on the scents. They do nothing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Do usually get sprayed in a bathing suit? Bc like everyone I know wears something different/ doesn't wear anything. What have you found is the best?

Do usually get sprayed in a bathing suit? Bc like everyone I know wears something different/ doesn't wear anything. What have you found is the best?
Well if its in a booth there's a machine spraying you and not a person so I don't wear anything. I couldn't tell you about having a person spray you because I don't. I guess it just depends on what you prefer

My apology for the length of this post is at the bottom... :oops:

I've worked a couple of tanning salons and I've done a couple of different spray tan booths in my day, never a person though. Just see what's available to you and talk to the people at the salons. There's so many different brands and each salon may use them differently, it's really all personal preference. I would just look for the best customer service/policies. That way if you don't like your spray then they'll help you fix it.

That being said, I have two BIG suggestions. These are my pet peeves as well, so sorry if I rant...haha :p
1. Get at least one spray tan before your event/competition, I would suggest 2. I hate when girls come in for prom or formals or someone's wedding and they have NO idea what color they'd like. Spray tans are different for everyone and everyone needs to experience it before they know what they like!
2. Don't do it the day of. It's not going to look it's best and you've essentially wasted the purpose of the spray. Even if the spray tan gives you instant color, it still needs time to settle on you and even if they develop in 4-8 hours (or whatever the salon says), many still develop up to 24 hours after your spray tan. I usually spray in the afternoon, like between 2 and 5 and don't see my full results until the next morning.

I'll go ahead and give my opinion on the rest of the questions...

- How do I become tan instead of orange?
Some people just have a natural orange tint to their skin ton(when they tan or spray, they just look orange-y no matter what ha), or certain parts of their body (it's usually legs). I believe the best way to avoid this is to build a base tan by laying in the beds. But look for a spray tan that is a chemical reaction, some work off your own skin's PH levels and those will give you the best results for your own skin tone. Stay away from dyes.

- Any recommended tanning salons?
I would say it's all personal preference. Some people get great results from one and another person could turn out splotchy and be peeling the next day. Just test a few out in your area.

- How many days before competition should I get it?
If the competition is on Saturday/Sunday, I would say early Friday afternoon, around 2-3. If you get a lunch break, go then. I wouldn't go after about 7 because it won't have much time to settle on your skin before bed and can get on your sheets. I usually don't shower the day I get mine, but if I do then I stay up as late as I can. Even if they say it'll stop developing after 8 hours, I wouldn't hop in the shower right at that mark. If that makes sense? Haha!

- Will it get on my uniform if I sweat?
Most sprays shouldn't rub off if you get it day before, but if you get it the day of then I'd be very careful. Some sprays may have bronzers in them to give you an instant color and I would say those will defiantly come off if you spray the day of. Look for ones that go on clear and develop over time.

- What do I wear to a spray tan?
If you do a booth, wear nothing haha...but I would also wear sweat pants and a t-shirt to the salon. It's never come off on my clothes, but if you wear jeans or especially yoga pants, or anything tight, you'll feel pretty sticky. Also, wear an old bra and underwear you don't care about too much. I have seen a little bit of my spray come off on where the underwire is and the elastic parts of my underwear, but it was so little and always came off in the wash.

SORRY! I know this is pretty long but I hope it's helpful!

edit: Okay, really* long :)

Back