Sr open 5 Changes for 2010-2011 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Does anyone know what changes / adjustments have been proposed to the Sr open 5 division for next season? Have any proposals been made? Who makes the proposals and how to the get to the powers that be?

I know I would like to see a few adjustments:
1. Standing tumbling - No standing fulls. No Jump to Fulls. Fulls must come from a bhs entry.
2. No tumbling out of fulls.
3. Needs a new name - Level 5 open is just confusing for parents and even some of the kids. Plus it need something to differentiate it from level 5 world's divisions.

Reasonings:
1. The stated reason for this division was as a "bridge" division from 4 to 5.
2. I have seen some super scary fulls in this division (including one requiring the kid to be taken to the hospital in a neck brace on a backboard) and I think it would be nice to allow kids the chance to PERFECT their fulls BEFORE people start pushing the doubles. (Trick to fulls in running tumbling would be ok because it does allow for a child to take a specialty pass they have already perfected and just add the full to the end.)
3. I feel this division needs more to separate it from the other level 5 teams. Just the no doubles in tumbling ISN'T enough. (All other levels have way more to differentiate them from other levels than this)

What do you guys all think?

We're on a two year cycle now, so there aren't any changes scheduled for 2010-2011. The next set of proposals will be presented next January at NACCC for the 2011-2012 season.

This is a wish that probably won't happen because it is co-dependent on other changes like credentialing, on time gym registrations, every event producer following the rules:

Any athlete competing on a Sr Open 5 team at any World's bid competition is ineligible for Worlds for that competitive season. As a transition I would reluctingly allow it for other competitions.

Any athlete rostered to USASF headquarters for a team recieving a World's bid of any type is ineligible for Sr Open 5 for the rest of that competitive season.

That would eliminate a gym automaticaly sandbagging true High Skilled Level 5 athletes as we like to say to be in this division for an easy win. Parents and athletes wouldn't jump at the chance to be on a lower skilled yet still Level 5 team if they knew doing so prohibited them from being on another team's to go to Worlds in the same year. Once a kid graduates out of Sr open 5 they could not go back to it. They could move up to other Level 5 teams any time in the year.

In case of injuries substitutions would have to be made from other level teams - which is one reason I know it won't pass.

By skill differentiating I can see not being able to do jumps to Full as not being in this division. I don't really see too much of a problem with Standing Fulls esp if the above changes were adopted. Then it would not be the star tumblers on the highest show teams doing them.

I said it in another thread but I think Sr open 5 should split coed and all-girl teams. Thats a change that can happen for 2010-2011 season.

scflips said:
I said it in another thread but I think Sr open 5 should split coed and all-girl teams. Thats a change that can happen for 2010-2011 season.

The USASF said that the rules would remain the same for two years and I would prefer to hold them to it.

I agree no standing fulls, but splitting into coed amd allgirl would help anything. The small and large div is the best way to do it. 17 kids cant compete against 36 no matter if there are boys on the team or not.

infinity said:
I agree no standing fulls, but splitting into coed amd allgirl would help anything. The small and large div is the best way to do it. 17 kids cant compete against 36 no matter if there are boys on the team or not.

Totally agree with this. Its another reason why I believe when combining divisions it should be by size not coed/allgirl. 4 guys doesn't make nearly as much difference as 16 (or hopefully 10) addition people on the floor.

Currently they combine divisions based on number of males:
Small Senior and Large Senior
Small Limited and Large Limited
Semi Limited and Unlimited

Personally I'd like to see:
Small Senior and Small Limited
Large Senior and Large Limited
COED.

Ultimately I guess it would be considered a "new" division. But that can definately be done before 2011. That is not a "rule", divisions are made every year. I agree small and large is a correct split, but there DEF should be a coed/allgirl split/ BOYS make a difference. 20 w/4 boys could have an advantage over 36 all girls, not in all cases but if its not split there is nothing to prevent making a team of 20 w/6,7,8 boys or a team of 36 w/12,13,14+. Coed, All-girl Split NEEDS to happen. When the division was first announced it was not split sm/lrg but "big" comps split them. It can/needs to be done before 2011. Did I mention it NEEDS to be done? lol

indiglow said:
Does anyone know what changes / adjustments have been proposed to the Sr open 5 division for next season? Have any proposals been made? Who makes the proposals and how to the get to the powers that be?

I know I would like to see a few adjustments:
1. Standing tumbling - No standing fulls. No Jump to Fulls. Fulls must come from a bhs entry.
2. No tumbling out of fulls.
3. Needs a new name - Level 5 open is just confusing for parents and even some of the kids. Plus it need something to differentiate it from level 5 world's divisions.

Reasonings:
1. The stated reason for this division was as a "bridge" division from 4 to 5.
2. I have seen some super scary fulls in this division (including one requiring the kid to be taken to the hospital in a neck brace on a backboard) and I think it would be nice to allow kids the chance to PERFECT their fulls BEFORE people start pushing the doubles. (Trick to fulls in running tumbling would be ok because it does allow for a child to take a specialty pass they have already perfected and just add the full to the end.)
3. I feel this division needs more to separate it from the other level 5 teams. Just the no doubles in tumbling ISN'T enough. (All other levels have way more to differentiate them from other levels than this)

What do you guys all think?

I realllly like your ideas. Maybe we could just create an entirely new level, sort of like 4.2.
5.4?

I don't want a new division either! I just want some adjustments made to the senior open 5 level in terms of tumbling. Oh and a new name! (and I think 4.2 needs a different name as well but that is a different story)

does anyone else remember jr prep and senior prep? maybe like senior 5 prep? hehe i don't really know.
i'm currently on a senior open 5 and the name really bothers me. i tell people what i'm on and they think we can do doubles and all that but we just don't have the age limits. i find it too confusing.

i go back and forth on allowing standing fulls in the division. a standing full is a very elite skill and i know kids who can do doubles but can't standing full. yes, it meets the requirement for only 1 twist but it's a big jump from a standing tuck to a standing full. the jump from a layout to a full is much less than a standing back to a standing full.

Back