Sr open 5 Changes for 2010-2011 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i think that if you are going to compete on senior open 5, you should have to register/declare the level at the begining of the season, and stay in it for the whole season. it will prevent sandbagging, and make the division more fair

live2cheer101010 said:
i think that if you are going to compete on senior open 5, you should have to register/declare the level at the begining of the season, and stay in it for the whole season. it will prevent sandbagging, and make the division more fair

What about a Sr Open 5 who is needed to fill a spot on a regular Sr 5 team due to injury? I have no problem with a Sr Open 5 moving up to Senior 5. I do with a Senior 5 moving into Senior Open 5. That destroys the whole purpose of the division. To me Open 5 is a developmental Level.

I agree 100% with njgymrat. Im still stuck on why there isn't concern for a coed team competing against an allgirl team? So basically sr open 5 just needs to be coed.

Honestly sc I hadn't thought that much about it. The reason why i guess is because the guys we have are all new to cheer and are in no way ringers. So I don't feel like at least currently it gives us an advantage over anyone with them. Maybe next year or two it would assuming we remain in that division of course. I can see it being coed but then what would you do with gyms who have no boys at all? Gyms who don't want to get in on the free tuition for boys so we can have a coed team bandwagon?

I think the splitting of divisions is upto the event producers discretion. I honestly think they need to split it up based on the number of males on a team period. I have an issue with coed 4 not being split up by males. The same goes with open 5. No one on this board can dispute that the strength factor comes into play as far as stunting is concerned. If that isn't the case, then there should be one coed division. Do away with small limited, large limited, medium, and unlimited.

The problem with not allowing crossovers is this. Small gyms that have a senior 5, but also have a few kids with fulls that are either not old enough, or are not ready for the high level of senior 5 need a place to use their skills. If we dont help them have a team like that by using other kids, then they go looking for another gym. I know the only way we could have a senior open is if my other kids help them to have a team. I have kids that are not old enough, but we definately dont have enough to have a junior 5, and i have kids that just got their fulls. Parents want them to be able to use their skills.

I agree with this. I think the division is limiting enough to prevent "sandbagging". The few extra crossovers cannot hide the inexperience of the novices and kids with newer skills. If I remember correctly, this division was invented for this purpose. To allow smaller programs the opportunity to keep their Level 5 athletes by creating a competitive team for them. I think we should leave it as is for now. On our K'ville Sr. Silver (who went Open 5 for BATB after being L4 all season), we have kids with fulls, but no jumps to back. Kids with jumps to back, but no fulls, and I am sure there are a couple who are close to standing fulls (learned on their own) without either, and kids who have it all, but are not consistent with any. Go figure. It's been thrilling for them to be be able to showcase these skills for the past three weeks. Let's not change anything because of fear for something else happening. I like this division and would like to see how it shakes out after the two years are up!

My only issue is the limiting of it to only 4 males. As much as I dislike the thought another division I think that there are a lot of semi limited teams that are forced to be level 5 when they aren't really ready. There are teams with just a couple of doubles that are really being thrown to the wolves, which is what the division is supposed to prevent. It's doing great job as far as all girl and limited teams, but I would love to see something for gyms with more than four guys that have level five skills.

I also think that if you have several Worlds teams in your Gym you should not be allowed to stack your Sr. Open Team with crossovers from your Worlds Teams. This division was started for Gyms that don' t have a strong enough level 5 team to be a Worlds contender, it is suppose to be an introductory level 5...thus why put 4-8 crossovers from your Worlds team's on your Sr. Open team. Shame on those Gym Owners that are just trying to take out all their competition even if it means not playing nicely or fairly. It just saddens me that for some people their are no limits to what they will do to win.

While I don't believe dropping down to open or putting more than 4 crossovers on open is right, i can see why some crossovers would be needed. 3-4 crossovers i can understand due to injuries, needing flyers/specific spots, kids that are really open 5 but get put on a large 5 team because they have jumps to back...are a strong flyer/stunter but dont have a full yet, etc.

wait so I kinda suck at interpreting stuff
but you're telling me if athlete A competes on both their senior open 5 team and their large senior 5 team , and this athlete's large senior team gets a bid from a competition they competed senior open 5 , they can not compete at worlds ? or am I wrong ?

i am sorry to say you are wrong..as long as the athlete simply competed at the same event from which the bid was won, they can be placed on the bid-winning team

Does anyone know what changes / adjustments have been proposed to the Sr open 5 division for next season? Have any proposals been made? Who makes the proposals and how to the get to the powers that be?

I know I would like to see a few adjustments:
1. Standing tumbling - No standing fulls. No Jump to Fulls. Fulls must come from a bhs entry.
2. No tumbling out of fulls.
3. Needs a new name - Level 5 open is just confusing for parents and even some of the kids. Plus it need something to differentiate it from level 5 world's divisions.

Reasonings:
1. The stated reason for this division was as a "bridge" division from 4 to 5.
2. I have seen some super scary fulls in this division (including one requiring the kid to be taken to the hospital in a neck brace on a backboard) and I think it would be nice to allow kids the chance to PERFECT their fulls BEFORE people start pushing the doubles. (Trick to fulls in running tumbling would be ok because it does allow for a child to take a specialty pass they have already perfected and just add the full to the end.)
3. I feel this division needs more to separate it from the other level 5 teams. Just the no doubles in tumbling ISN'T enough. (All other levels have way more to differentiate them from other levels than this)

What do you guys all think?

I love this. . .

this was a huge problem i saw this year. most of the open 5s i watched at comps they would all crossover to their worlds level 5. i do believe that totally defeatss the purpose of open 5.

Back