Standing Tuck Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2010
Hi everyone, so I have had my standing tuck off and on for about 5 or 6 months now. Recently I have been having a mental block when I have to do it on the floor by myself. With a spotter standing there ,I can do it perfectly but when they step away I get really nervous and I set the tuck back and fall on my knees or stomach. Its almost like my brain freezes right before I go, and I forget what to do because I'm so nervous. I've read Debbie Love's article on mental blocks, I've talked to my coaches, but I don't know what to do, does anyone have any advice?

You can obviously do it, you just need to build your confidence up so you don't psych yourself out. Try taking a step back, and going from the floor into the pit if possible. Once you have that down, put a harder mat (the ones that fold up, you know?) on top of the pit so there's not as much "cush" from the pit. Then find a 4in or so fluffy mat and put it on the regular floor, and tuck on to that. Proceed to the floor after that. Progression like that usually helps build my confidence and hone my technique at the same time! Never ever give up!! :)

Can we just take the word mental block out of cheerleading?? I feel like when you say mental block it creates more problems all a mental block is, is a fear and we can conquer our fears! If I were you I would just find what you are really nervous about if it is falling on your head then I might suggest that you use the pit like the above post or use a mat to jump off of. Really though I would suggest you get right in your head and really train yourself to conquer your fears. You can DO IT! You can FACE YOUR FEARS! Only you can control you mind and once you are able to control your mind instead of letting it control you, you will find that huge doors open for you in the world of tumbling! Be positive and you can do anything! good luck and keep us posted

Why is that damned back tuck the root of all mental blocks? There must be something in the brain that just clicks on one day and says "hell no I am not letting you throw yourself backwards into the air no matter how many times you have done it before".
If you are still able to throw your bhs-back tuck or ro-bt by yourself, maybe do that and disconnect the movements little by little so that eventually you are just doing that sbt on it's own again.

Thanks so much for all of the advice:) I will definitely try it tonight at the gym and keep you all posted!

try telling whoever is spotting you to lightly spot you and to only spot you if they think you need it, that helped me become more confident. also repetition is key, try remembering how it feels to do it right. Another thing you can do is stand on a mat that is a few inches off the ground and get is solid there then move to the floor.

Back