College Starting A Competitive College Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 7, 2016
The college I plan to be attending this fall, North Carolina A&T, does not allow male cheerleaders it turns out, which is disappointing as I really hoped to cheer in college. I recently met a girl also attending A&T who was disappointed in the fact that the squad at A&T doesn't compete. We discussed possibly forming our own competitive club squad at the university, but we don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to go about forming a competitive squad? I had planned to possibly email teams like unc all girl, nc state or East Carolina to ask for advice as well as the coach of A&T's actual cheer team just ensure she is ok with this, as i certainly dont want to infringe upon her program in any way. I know of two all star gyms near the campus (greensboro all stars, and carolina athletix) but I don't know if they allow outside teams to practice. I could really use some help as far as how to find team members, becoming an official club, competitions, paying for everything, etc. My biggest worry is also finding people who can fund their college education as well as pay for a competitive cheer career. I've looked into competitions and if we do form a team, I think I'd like for us to work towards attending cheersport, battle at the capitol, and possibly NCA one day. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!

Hi,
I could maybe help. My CP cheers for NCSU. Not on club but on coed. I do know their club team practices at CEA (their head coach there is also the coach for IAG). A friend of ours cheers for UNC club cheer. They practice some on campus and even came to our gym a few times last year (it was in Morrisville). They hired a tumble coach from a gym in WF that helped them out and went with them to Cheersport and NCA last year. They bought their own uniforms and paid for their way to go to NCA and cheersport. They do fundraising to offset costs. I also had a friend that cheered at Campbell and a couple of years ago, they did not have boys either, but have started adding more and now have a co-ed team. (So maybe A&T would come around) I think especially in this area more and more club teams and college teams will have co-ed bc we have such a strong base of male cheerleaders and more are cheering in HS than ever before. A good comp to go to that is more local is CANAM in MB. It's smaller than NCA and Cheersport and would be a good starting point. Also look at local comps in the area that y'all can exhibition at to get your routine on the mat and in front of judges. For sure reach out to your local gyms to see if you can rent mat time. You will need one with a dead floor so going to a gymnastics facility might be useful also. This area is super supportative of college cheer. I think right now the only non-club college team that competes nationally is NCSU. Last year NCSU, L-R, ECU, UNC were just some of the club teams that competed nationally. Once you get approval from the coach at A&T, look for a location to practice. See if you can find help with coaching and then recruit. You can have an info session when you get some of the details set out. Hope this is a good start!

Hi,
I could maybe help. My CP cheers for NCSU. Not on club but on coed. I do know their club team practices at CEA (their head coach there is also the coach for IAG). A friend of ours cheers for UNC club cheer. They practice some on campus and even came to our gym a few times last year (it was in Morrisville). They hired a tumble coach from a gym in WF that helped them out and went with them to Cheersport and NCA last year. They bought their own uniforms and paid for their way to go to NCA and cheersport. They do fundraising to offset costs. I also had a friend that cheered at Campbell and a couple of years ago, they did not have boys either, but have started adding more and now have a co-ed team. (So maybe A&T would come around) I think especially in this area more and more club teams and college teams will have co-ed bc we have such a strong base of male cheerleaders and more are cheering in HS than ever before. A good comp to go to that is more local is CANAM in MB. It's smaller than NCA and Cheersport and would be a good starting point. Also look at local comps in the area that y'all can exhibition at to get your routine on the mat and in front of judges. For sure reach out to your local gyms to see if you can rent mat time. You will need one with a dead floor so going to a gymnastics facility might be useful also. This area is super supportative of college cheer. I think right now the only non-club college team that competes nationally is NCSU. Last year NCSU, L-R, ECU, UNC were just some of the club teams that competed nationally. Once you get approval from the coach at A&T, look for a location to practice. See if you can find help with coaching and then recruit. You can have an info session when you get some of the details set out. Hope this is a good start!
ayyee NC State was my original number one for college and still is, but I applied for engineering and got deferred. theres still a shot I might get in since I had great grades this year, but with how competitive state engineering is its slim. plus my entire family really wants me at a historically black college. I contacted the coach and she said she will get back to me after she first passes the information onto the universities athletic director. Assuming everything goes well, I plan to contact two local gyms (Greensboro all stars, Carolina athletix) to inquire about renting time and tumbling training. do you know if the club teams at nc state, unc, ecu etc, have volunteer head coaches or if they pay their coach?

ayyee NC State was my original number one for college and still is, but I applied for engineering and got deferred. theres still a shot I might get in since I had great grades this year, but with how competitive state engineering is its slim. plus my entire family really wants me at a historically black college. I contacted the coach and she said she will get back to me after she first passes the information onto the universities athletic director. Assuming everything goes well, I plan to contact two local gyms (Greensboro all stars, Carolina athletix) to inquire about renting time and tumbling training. do you know if the club teams at nc state, unc, ecu etc, have volunteer head coaches or if they pay their coach?
Hey! Dont give up on attending NCSU! A lot of the newbies this year (called Wolf Pups) are transfers from other colleges. Yes, engineering is hard program for sure! I don't know if the club teams paid their coaches or not. Did you find contacts for NCSU and UNC club? I know both those programs are all girl teams as I think ECU is also. If not, let me know and I think I can get contact info for you for those programs. Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your progress!

Hey! Dont give up on attending NCSU! A lot of the newbies this year (called Wolf Pups) are transfers from other colleges. Yes, engineering is hard program for sure! I don't know if the club teams paid their coaches or not. Did you find contacts for NCSU and UNC club? I know both those programs are all girl teams as I think ECU is also. If not, let me know and I think I can get contact info for you for those programs. Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your progress!
I emailed the all girl team at ncsu but haven't heard back yet. also, whats the best way to go about getting uniforms. I know of the obvious choices like varsity and rebel, but theyre also expensive and rebel is more for all stars I guess.

I emailed the all girl team at ncsu but haven't heard back yet. also, whats the best way to go about getting uniforms. I know of the obvious choices like varsity and rebel, but theyre also expensive and rebel is more for all stars I guess.
Im going to text my friend whose daughter is on UNC all girl. They just got new Unis this year and i know they were not terribly expensive. (150) I'll ask who they used. The ones that NCSU co-ed uses (there are 5-6) came from all different companies. Contact the Varsity rep in the area (you can find on their website) and they can get you some ideas on pricing. You might be able to use the same company that your school's cheer team uses.

Im going to text my friend whose daughter is on UNC all girl. They just got new Unis this year and i know they were not terribly expensive. (150) I'll ask who they used. The ones that NCSU co-ed uses (there are 5-6) came from all different companies. Contact the Varsity rep in the area (you can find on their website) and they can get you some ideas on pricing. You might be able to use the same company that your school's cheer team uses.
Thank you. I actually really liked unc's unifroms a lot

Dehen Cheer and Cheerleading Company are options as well.

Im on a recently started college cheer team as well, and we just got our uniforms this year (the one I'm wearing in my picture). Last year we wore blank ones from chasse cheer, and this year we went with a sublimated custom uniform from them. the price was around $97 for each uniform. Still a little expensive, but way less than you're going to get through varsity.

Im on a recently started college cheer team as well, and we just got our uniforms this year (the one I'm wearing in my picture). Last year we wore blank ones from chasse cheer, and this year we went with a sublimated custom uniform from them. the price was around $97 for each uniform. Still a little expensive, but way less than you're going to get through varsity.
what company did you use? I love your uniform

Do you know where I could find a video of your team? id love to see your uniform in action
Sadly, we haven't worn our uniforms to a game yet, we were suspended this past semester, and by the time we were reinstated, the basketball season was already completely over. The only thing we have of our new uniforms is our team photo. and you can see that on our Facebook page. Purchase College Cheerleading

For a more affordable option, check with GTM Sportswear. Also, have you looked to see if the All Star Gyms in your area have an open team you could compete on?

Back