Starting A Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2009
**I know there are other threads on this topic, but i didn't want to take the attention away from anyone else who needed questions, so i started a new thread.

Okay, so a few coaches and myself in my area are looking into the idea of starting up an all star team. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Say you have a team with level 5 skills, but the would be head coach of the team isnt Usasf through level 5. Would she have to get certified through level 5 for them to compete in level 5? How exactly does one get Usasf certified so the other would be coaches at the gym could get certified (the website confuses me).

2) May be a stupid question, but what exactly is Usasf? I looked on the website but couldn't really get a grasp. A description from an owner or coach would be appreciated...

3) This team/gym would start off at a local school or local family gym. How many other teams have done this? Is it smarter to start off small and build into a larger facility? We are doing this option to keep it user friendly and the costs low...

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

**I know there are other threads on this topic, but i didn't want to take the attention away from anyone else who needed questions, so i started a new thread.

Okay, so a few coaches and myself in my area are looking into the idea of starting up an all star team. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Say you have a team with level 5 skills, but the would be head coach of the team isnt Usasf through level 5. Would she have to get certified through level 5 for them to compete in level 5? How exactly does one get Usasf certified so the other would be coaches at the gym could get certified (the website confuses me).

2) May be a stupid question, but what exactly is Usasf? I looked on the website but couldn't really get a grasp. A description from an owner or coach would be appreciated...

3) This team/gym would start off at a local school or local family gym. How many other teams have done this? Is it smarter to start off small and build into a larger facility? We are doing this option to keep it user friendly and the costs low...

Unless you plan on attending World's technically you don't have to be certified. However, I highly recommend everyone coaching in your program be certified, its easy and just smart. USASF is currently the main governing body for All-Star Cheerleading. Starting small is a great idea. I highly recommend starting as small as possible until you gain a following and have the financial means to get into your own facility. Renting space is a great way to get started. Side note: Level 5 is great to have your lower levels and younger teams look up to them but focus on lower levels and younger kids, that's what will give you longevity and that's where the sustainable money is. Good luck!

@yojaehs answered the first 2 questions. If you want to get certified, the info is on the USASF website. The test is in 2 parts, written and hands on. There are 3 different categories to get certified: tosses, stunts and tumbling. You only need to be certified in 1 category in levels 1-5 to coach at worlds. If you chose to get certified, you have to pay for each level test you are taking. I think they're $15 each.

As far as the last question, many teams/gyms have started in a similar way. The first program I coached with started out renting space in a gymnastics facility before moving into their own gym.

It is not hard to start a business, but it is not easy to keep it going. Make sure you do all your homework on the business aspect of it. The actual cheer part is the easy part. Make sure you learn the rules for each level.

CheerProfessional, an independent voice for the cheer marketplace, looks forward to providing you expert answers to questions just like this and tools to simplify your job as a coach or gym owner. We will launch early this summer with a web presence and quarterly publication. Follow us on facebook.com/CheerProfessional and twitter.com/CheerProCo so you can be the first to know when we go live.

Back