Starting A Rec Program From Scratch?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would also suggest a course that teaches specifically about concussions, on top of your CPR and first aid. This website is helpful for qualifications to coach high school cheer. If it's good enough for a school corporation it should be above and beyond what you need for rec.

NfhsLearn

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/QUOTE]

Just an update: I got my adult and pediatric CPR and First Aid certification this weekend :D Woo!
Congrats! Where did you go and how much is it? I'm in nc and I want to get one so bad. It's so important as it will have parents so much more at ease to have some sort of certification when starting a program.

Congrats! Where did you go and how much is it? I'm in nc and I want to get one so bad. It's so important as it will have parents so much more at ease to have some sort of certification when starting a program.
Originally I was going to take a class offered for high school age kids at a local hospital, but that fell through as they only offered it over the summer. So I just went to the American Red Cross website and looked for courses near me, then signed up!

I have question, by the way (which I'm sure will benefit @caitlyn_the_camille as well). Are there any non-tumbling competitive cheer divisions in Pop Warner?
I believe there is a sideline only competition. Take a look at level 1 though. The stunting and tumbling there is minimal. Feel free to me with any pop questions you may have and I can point you in the right direction.

A few things to look into when starting a Rec program that I had no idea about until I started mine.

1) insurance. You need it for every girl, even if they don't stunt.

2) adult help. I know you may think you don't need a lot of it but you would be amazed how much an adult helps. I'm talking 30+ adult, not 22/23 adult.

3) make allies. Local gyms & schools can help you a ton when you need clinics, space, etc. So stay on their good side (which it seems like you will).

4) it's ok to say no. If you only want to work with 5th - 8th grade then only work with that age, girls younger than 4th grade are a bit hard to keep under control (this comes from someone with 9 5 year olds). If you can only commit to one day a week for an hour then only do that don't over stretch yourself.

5) clinics can be just as helpful as practices. Work with the local park district and/or YMCA to see if you can hold a cheer clinic once or twice a month. Usually they'll give you one of their instructors as additional help. Working with an existing organization like that usually leads to you being able to piggy back off of their insurance/mats/etc. It'll also help you gauge interest.

I hope some of this helps. If you need anything let me know ill try to help. I was in your position 8 years ago ( wow...) and just started a program myself this year.

Can you try to work with the current football program to get
Cheer started? That way u would be under their ins and have a program to back u?

Back