High School State Rings - Need Opinion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 20, 2009
Our team recently won another state title, and our school does not contribute toward state rings (totally separate issue). We are structured like most collegiate programs, in that we take 25 athletes on our roster but only allow 20 to compete. Parents are paying for their daughters' rings out of pocket. We have one team member who did NOT compete, only cheered on the game team, who wants to order a state ring. If the school were paying for rings, it would be an easy No because they would limit us to the competition team. However, since parents are paying for rings, our coaching staff (4 of us) are debating on whether to let her order a ring. No other non-competition girls are getting a ring, and we've never had anyone try to get a ring in the past who didn't compete.

Thoughts?

I think if she wasn't a part of the 25 then I'd say no. If she was on the roster, then she would be able to get one if she wants.

In high school our alternates were allowed to buy a state ring when we won. I think my entire team ordered rings, all alternates included, when we won both of the years I cheered in high school. My parents personally wouldn't have paid for me to get a ring that I didn't win myself, but maybe that's just my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes if she was on the roster as an alternate she deserves a ring. I am not sure if this is across the board for all programs but I know high school alternates have received white jackets at UCA and alternates on world teams have received rings. Same goes for alternates on college teams receiving rings. IMO they are still part of them team and deserve it, the fact that the parents are paying makes it easier decision.

If her parents are gonna pay for it then what's the harm? It's someone who is part of the program who just wants to have something to remember the season by. If it was a complete stranger than no.
It's probably gonna be less of a headache for you to just allow them to order it and pay for it, than it is to say no and deal with that.

I would just get her one out of pity (how much would it suck to be the one kid WITHOUT a ring?). The thing is, if you are on the competition team, whether as an alternate or on the mat, you should have a ring. She was on game team.

I would get her one.

My alternates get the same prizes/awards at comps as my other kids because it's not like they just SAT there the entire season. They know the routine and attend practice just like any other team member. They won it by being there for the team and performing those responsibilities, even if they didn't end up on the mat. Same goes for my girls who were initially slated to be on the mat but were injured early in the comp season. They still attended practice and fulfilled team responsibilities as required.

This is one of those things that has the potential to make you and your staff look really petty if you say no and it backfires on you with the parent. Tread carefully and be ready to justify your answer. Good luck!

Back