Straight Legs On Cartwheel, Skills In General

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emw

Nov 30, 2012
Hi,
I feel like when I do cartwheels, I can't "reach" or 'stretch" for the ceiling with my toes as my instructor says. She also says that they (the cartwheels) are too slow..

My question is, what do I need to work on to keep my legs straight in a cartwheel? Or the power to get them over?

What has not worked is practicing them over and over... I just keep doing them same old bent knee cartwheels over and over
I just dont feel that "reach"!!
Thanks a bunch

Try pushing off of your front leg harder. And as you reach, keep your arms tight by your ears. Keeping your body in proper alignment will help with stretching it out.

Try pushing off of your front leg harder. And as you reach, keep your arms tight by your ears. Keeping your body in proper alignment will help with stretching it out.

Ok, thanks. I really do try pushing...Its the alignment that is throwing me off. By looking at videos of good cartwheels, I feel like I am not straight up and down on top of myself. Or, I might not have my legs in a wide enough straddle from the initial lunge and then throughout the cartwheel to carry me over. Something like that.
Do you think that I need to be able to "reach" my toes to cieling in a handstand? (is it the same feeling?) Because I can't really hold a handstand,
Thanks again, Im just wondering what I could do to work on this that is a little easier than the cartwheel itself

If you can't hold a handstand that is part of your problem. The handstand is the essential body position in all of gymnastics. Work on your handstand. And yes, you should feel like you're reaching to the ceiling with your toes.

If you can't hold a handstand that is part of your problem. The handstand is the essential body position in all of gymnastics. Work on your handstand. And yes, you should feel like you're reaching to the ceiling with your toes.

Ok. Thank you

So, I videotaped myself on handstands.. I am just having a really hard time keeping a straight line from my feet to my hands as I lever down to the ground. More specifically, as I bend at my hips, the heel of my back leg doesnt extend in a straight line from my hips! I don't ever really reach this position: ! * If I do, my back leg is bent throughout the lever. =/
Lever-or-T-150x150.png

Oh sorry that pic above ^ is NOT me...but I think I know what I could work on

I have the same problem :/ its really depressing since i wanna advance and start learning how to do a back handspring .

My daughter had the same issue with cartwheels and round offs and then she mastered it. Then she started working on her back walkovers and she had that straight leg issue for awhile to the point that her coach had her work on other skills because she was starting to get frustrated and a month later they started working again on it and out of no where she he straight legs. In April she started working on back hand springs and of course she had the same issue but not too long ago she mastered the straight leg. I'm not sure how common it is but I swear thats my daughters weakness. I don't have and advice for you but keep listening to what your coach advises and I'm sure in no time in will get it. And just keep trying you will get it. Every one learns at different speeds. Good luck :)

with cartwheels, my coach once told me, if you point your toes, your legs will straight cause its actually really hard to point your toes with bent legs, its almost like your legs will straighten s you can. more power comes from how hard you push into the cartwheel. the more you reach out before your hands hit in the cartwheel, the easier it is the get your body aligned.:)

thanks all for the advice and encouragemet! thats the thing.. I just cant really point my toes throughout the carwheel once I get going. I think they mght be getting better as I push harder but they still definitely feel as though they look horrendous. I will fous more on pointing toes, and squeezing knees. I think it may have to do with me just getting better at telling my mucles to squeeze, becuase I can straighten the hard when i am standing or sitting , just not yet in a cartwheel and barely in a handstand. Thanks again

Back