Strength To Do Bwo

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2015
so I'm having a weird block... I've been able to do a back walkover since the very beginning of 2014. Just recently I tried to do one and I can't kick over anymore! I have tryouts on Sunday and I do have a back handspring but we usually warm up with back walkovers and yea... any tips for getting the momentum or strength to kick over? Thanks!

It might not be strength, but you might be missing/not using your shoulder flexibility. If you're not pushing back through your shoulders, you'll need to power to get over. It could also have just been a bad day. I've been pulling tucks for years, and just last weekend I couldn't land one. But I hit it again last night, so it was just an off day.

Did you take time off before trying again?? Or have you been having trouble for a while??

Before you kick make sure u shift your weight using your shoulders towards where u r kicking, if this makes sense.

I just started learning my bwo today, so this thread really came in handy! Anyone have any tips On excersises to do so that I can easily apply the above tips?

I just started learning my bwo today, so this thread really came in handy! Anyone have any tips On excersises to do so that I can easily apply the above tips?

These are the most common strengthening activities I have my kids do and they can easily be done at home -

- Super woman lifts, holds, and rocks (lay on your stomach and lift your arms and legs up into an arch position. Make sure your legs are straight and together)
- Hollow body holds nad rocks
- Bridge rocks and bridge walks
- Handstand holds (focus on a hollow body and pushing up as tall as possible. Don't sag through your low back or your shoulders)
- Bridge leg lift (lift your kicking leg up)
- Leg lifts (to make it harder, stand with one leg extended out straight in front of you and lift up and off the chair)

Back