All-Star Stress Fractures

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 17, 2011
For those of you who don't know what a stress fracture is:

Its an injury, usually in feet and ankles that you get from multiple pounding ( usually landing tumbling skills like tucks, layouts and fulls) and too much tumbling, usually at an age where your bones are still growing.

I got my first stress fracture in my foot when i was thirteen. My parents didn't take me to the doctor for 2 months, because they thought i was dramatic. I had to wear a boot for 4 weeks. I then broke my foot again at 2010 UCA nationals and had to wear a boot for 6 more weeks.

Stress fractures never go away, and only get worse, and then slightly better.

Does anyone else have any stress fractures? If so where? and how did you handle the pain?

This past wednesday I fractured my growth plate and a stress fracture on my fibula and a vertical fracture on my tibia. I didn't get it casted so that I can finish out the season. Im gonna take 2 weeks out and start training again.

This past wednesday I fractured my growth plate and a stress fracture on my fibula and a vertical fracture on my tibia. I didn't get it casted so that I can finish out the season. Im gonna take 2 weeks out and start training again.
i know exactly how you feeel. i still competed last season with a boot, i just took it off before i went on and put it back on after.. it sucks tho:/

i know exactly how you feeel. i still competed last season with a boot, i just took it off before i went on and put it back on after.. it sucks tho:/

If it was up to me I would still be competing at next week JAMZ competition but my coaches took me out. I guess Id rather miss that then miss worlds.

If it was up to me I would still be competing at next week JAMZ competition but my coaches took me out. I guess Id rather miss that then miss worlds.
yeaaah i gotchaa. my coaches wouldn't let me tumble at a few comps last year, i would just mark my tumbling and jumps and stunnt. our biggest comp was uca and they just wanted me healthy for thatt.

but yeah worlds is sooo important, id rather miss every comp in a season than not compete at worlds.

The worst pa
yeaaah i gotchaa. my coaches wouldn't let me tumble at a few comps last year, i would just mark my tumbling and jumps and stunnt. our biggest comp was uca and they just wanted me healthy for thatt.

but yeah worlds is sooo important, id rather miss every comp in a season than not compete at worlds.

The worst part was that I had just gotten a new tumbling pass and got back a skill that I had lost just before I broke it.

The worst pa

The worst part was that I had just gotten a new tumbling pass and got back a skill that I had lost just before I broke it.
thatt suckks!! last year i had just gotten my layout before i brokee my foot. its the worstt and then it takes foreverr to get everything back.

i had one last year in my back and i was out for a month. it wasn't completely healed when i came back because i had it for so long before i went to the doctor(about 2 years) so now i have a feeling i have one again because i have that same pain in my back again but im gonna stick it out for the season then get it checked out.

ive had them before..... crutches for 17 weeks for my freshman year of college and a boot for much longer... one in my foot and then several in my leg. It suck plus i am a slow healer...

had one in my L4 and L5 vertebrae in my back, had pain for like 3 months before i went to the doctor, and i was out for 5 months in a hard plastic back brace. it was terrible.

You kids need to also look at the long term effects of fractures. Though you feel you can tuff it out and deal with the pain, in the long run you will wind up with severe arthritis later in life. So even though you may feel like you cant live without cheer, taking time off to heal is always the smarter thing to do. I have been in the xray field for years and have seen cheer injuries only get worse. I say this cus I love cheerleaders and want the best for them in life.

You kids need to also look at the long term effects of fractures. Though you feel you can tuff it out and deal with the pain, in the long run you will wind up with severe arthritis later in life. So even though you may feel like you cant live without cheer, taking time off to heal is always the smarter thing to do. I have been in the xray field for years and have seen cheer injuries only get worse. I say this cus I love cheerleaders and want the best for them in life.

Well said.... I thought I was really hardcore for competing and tumbling in a back brace when I was in college.... I see a chiropractor on a weekly basis STILL and it's 8 years later. As my coach once told me, DON'T BE A SUPERHERO.

Also, in terms of stress fractures.... I had shin splints that turned into stress fractures because I ignored them. It took years for me to be able to tumble without pain. Please guys, take care of your bodies now so you don't wake up at my age (27) and feel like you're 100!

I have/had one in my lower back from some rough falls backspotting. I still have lower back pain and it's been about 5 years since any cheering, and about 7 since all-star. I also tried to play "tough" and cheered through it- took about 4 weeks off. I'm injury prone and just kind of learned to keep going through ankle, wrist, and knee injuries and I am DEFINITELY paying for it now.. I'm in my 20's with aches and pains, and this was when all-star cheerleading was still pretty tame. I can't imagine what some of these young girls will feel like at "my age"!

I did last year when I cheered in high school in my left ankle...right before my first comp all I could do was ib profin/ice hot and a brance after we performed I lifed up my pant leg to a soft ball size ankle lol

Latest posts

Back