All-Star Stunting- Just Not That Important?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lablover

Cheer Parent
Mar 11, 2014
I'm sure it's a by product of the varsity scorecard and the focus on tumbling technique, but stunts on lower level teams just seem bland and not well executed this season.

Teams will have amazing tumbling and I'm left underwhelmed by their stunting. Anyone else notice this?

There doesn't seem to be as much emphasis and "reward" for stunting difficulty.

I think it's a function of how detailed the scoring has become. You HAVE to put in at least 2 elite skills to get into the max range, on lower levels you are given a VERY narrow window of what those skills can be. There isn't a large benefit for putting higher risk stunts in beyond what is required to get you into that range.

IMO there has always been more emphasis on stunting than tumbling. The added emphasis on tumbling technique is a recent development. Where stunting has always been the bread and butter so to speak of the cheerleading world.

What you may be seeing is many teams unwilling to take a risk to be innovative and do out of the box new cool stunts and transitions because they are unsure of the reward or because they don't want to be hit with a potential legality, epsecially at a big competition. Just because it wasn't called at one event doesn't mean it wont be called by another, even by the same EP or judge. Typically the higher levels do more because the rules give them a greater latitude.

What you may be seeing is many teams unwilling to take a risk to be innovative and do out of the box new cool stunts and transitions because they are unsure of the reward or because they don't want to be hit with a potential legality, epsecially at a big competition. Just because it wasn't called at one event doesn't mean it wont be called by another, even by the same EP or judge. Typically the higher levels do more because the rules give them a greater latitude.
This is true as well. CP's level 2 team last season had a really cool inversion that they were more than capable of performing safely, but took a legality hit twice for a tiny mistake executing it. This year, a stunt element had to be pulled before the first comp for questionable legality.

OK, so my issue is with the new ranges, L1 is so easy to get into high range... you can do things at nugget level, knee level, gut level and it still counts and elite level appropriate.. otherwise I think teams are struggling to truly get into high range.

I think that stunting and tumbling are considered equally important. Sometimes you may think tumbling is more important as everyone says "I need a BHS to make level 2" not "I need to get an extension to make level 2", but I think that people say this because stunting comes easier to most, not all though, athletes. Many athletes focus more on tumbling since they think they need it to move up levels, and forget about stunting. Also, the scorecard is limited in skills that will get you into high range.

tumbling is my fav, followed by stunting, pyramid, jumping... and tbh, i dont really care much for dance. the only dance that has caught my eye was cali coed 2015 and 005 2014 worlds, and i would put those two in front of general pyramid.

anyways, even though tumbling is my fav, i wouldn't want it to take more of a presence then stunting, just because of traditional reasons. however, i def wouldn't want for stunting to take more time/presence at the sacrifice of tumbling... maybe dance hah, just not tumbling or future cali coed 2015-like and 005-like dances :).

Could it also be that there is such a push to have little Suzy on a higher level team and since that level is normally dictated by the tumble skill, that little Suzy might not really have the stunting skills. So they have to water down the stunts. Therefore the tumbling is amazing and the stunts are blah.

I think it should be an overall package. They need to be able to stunt and tumble at that level.

Could it also be that there is such a push to have little Suzy on a higher level team and since that level is normally dictated by the tumble skill, that little Suzy might not really have the stunting skills. So they have to water down the stunts. Therefore the tumbling is amazing and the stunts are blah.

I think it should be an overall package. They need to be able to stunt and tumble at that level.

I agree with you. This is also a muti faceted issue with coaches, athletes and parents alike.

I don't know if this is typical everywhere or just at my CPs gym. We have a lot of middle schoolers who transition from gymnastics to all star. They come in with gorgeous tumbling. Which gets them placed on level 4 teams. Yet they've never stunted and it's very apparent in the routine. These athletes are referred to as level 4 athletes. We also have a few really great kids that stunt level 4 very easily with only level 2 tumbling and are only referred to as level 2 Cheer leaders. It's very confusing why tumbling skill is the only marker for level placement. Especially since every year I see these same girls get pulled up late in the season to help with stunts.

I don't know if this is typical everywhere or just at my CPs gym. We have a lot of middle schoolers who transition from gymnastics to all star. They come in with gorgeous tumbling. Which gets them placed on level 4 teams. Yet they've never stunted and it's very apparent in the routine. These athletes are referred to as level 4 athletes. We also have a few really great kids that stunt level 4 very easily with only level 2 tumbling and are only referred to as level 2 Cheer leaders. It's very confusing why tumbling skill is the only marker for level placement. Especially since every year I see these same girls get pulled up late in the season to help with stunts.
My thoughts-- I think the general consensus is that it's easier to teach stunting (or at least quicker) than to teach tumbling. I think this is especially true for older athletes. Going from a backhandspring to layout versus prep to extension.

Yep.

In particular, basing is less challenging to learn than tumbling.

It is controversial, but you could, in theory, bring in a Level 5 tumbler/former gymnast with no other cheer skills, put her on a Worlds team, and get her to basing Level 4 to 5 stunts in one summer.

You are more willing to take that risk in stunting.

Yep.

In particular, basing is less challenging to learn than tumbling.

It is controversial, but you could, in theory, bring in a Level 5 tumbler/former gymnast with no other cheer skills, put her on a Worlds team, and get her to basing Level 4 to 5 stunts in one summer.

You are more willing to take that risk in stunting.
Which is a testament to how crucial it is to actually be strong enough to base. Gymnasts have crazy strength.

Back