All-Star Stunting- Just Not That Important?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I get what you're saying about tumbling. Even so I've still seen more losses as a result of poor stunting than poor tumbling. Maybe it's the difference between large gyms & small gyms. There's more incentive to obtain strong stunting skills at a large gym cause you can be replaced. Small gyms don't have that luxury and athletes know it.

My thoughts-- I think the general consensus is that it's easier to teach stunting (or at least quicker) than to teach tumbling. I think this is especially true for older athletes. Going from a backhandspring to layout versus prep to extension.
Easier to learn too, especially as you get older. I can base level 2-3 but only tumble level 1. This is the case for most athletes on our senior team as well.

Easier to learn too, especially as you get older. I can base level 2-3 but only tumble level 1. This is the case for most athletes on our senior team as well.

I'm the same. I've got level 1 tumbling but my stunting ability negated my placement on a level 3 team due to a shortage of people at my previous gym. However breaking bad technique habits has taken me ages to learn as switching programmes to a level 2 team meant that I had to adjust to a different stunting style from my previous team. truth be told Im also finding level 2 stunting harder than some of the basic level 3 stuff XD

This. I can base level 6 but I don't even have a walkover lol. Granted my body is old and I had one when I was younger. I almost have an aerial though so there's that hah.

My thoughts-- I think the general consensus is that it's easier to teach stunting (or at least quicker) than to teach tumbling. I think this is especially true for older athletes. Going from a backhandspring to layout versus prep to extension.

I've always said this about basing, and flying (to an extent). I can base level 5/6 stunts after cheering for 15 years and still don't have my full or the best tumbling. If I was flying this may be different but essentially basing always returns to the fundamentals. Tumbling skills don't look the same as you progress. Back handsprings you jump back, tucks you're reaching up.

I've always believed that tumbling is the most obviously individual aspect of the sport, which is why it is valued so much. When you're tumbling you're on your own. When you watch someone in the gym working on a double, you know they're a level 5. Just because a girl can do a level 5 sequence doesn't mean they have the individual capacity to do the tumbling.

Everyone is pushing for difficulty, many to the detriment of execution.

With that said, I did see some excellent technique this past weekend in stunting. Both clean and difficult:

*CA Wild, Swoosh, Cheetahs. I have been saying this for so long but they have some of the best basket and general flyer technique I've seen. Cheetahs baskets are beautiful.

*TGLC. People are always looking at that team's crazy/innovative stunts but don't sleep on how they are both clean and fun to watch.

*Obsession. Solid.

Back