All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was drug tested for temporary seasonal employment at Target and drug tested/fingerprinted/background checked to work with people with disabilities at a nonprofit. my other jobs had people drinking/doing drugs in the back... so yeah.

I was drug tested to work for this library system. They also did a physical with blood work, vision test etc. Turns out I have very high cholesterol. I'm skinny fat. They hired me anyway.

The point I was trying to make (and obviously I didn't make it very well) is that your EMPLOYER is the one drug testing you, not the national superstore governing body that oversees Kohls/Walmart/Target. Therefore coach testing could be easily implemented by individual gyms should they feel it is necessary.

Quite frankly I think it's a little insidious to have employers requiring drug tests at relatively low skill/low consequence jobs, then again an Australian surgeon who had a coke addiction was recently arrested, so maybe somewhere in between is a safe middle ground for civil liberties and public safety.

The point I was trying to make (and obviously I didn't make it very well) is that your EMPLOYER is the one drug testing you, not the national superstore governing body that oversees Kohls/Walmart/Target. Therefore coach testing could be easily implemented by individual gyms should they feel it is necessary.

Quite frankly I think it's a little insidious to have employers requiring drug tests at relatively low skill/low consequence jobs, then again an Australian surgeon who had a coke addiction was recently arrested, so maybe somewhere in between is a safe middle ground for civil liberties and public safety.
My drug testing is mandated by a governing body beyond my employers control. They make my employer perform drug testing.

i do agree with you... but i actually think it is Target headquarters ruling that anyone hired must have a drug test (specifically within 24 hours of a completed interview.) i also believe my job at the nonprofit was state mandated as we received (minuscule) funding from the state and worked with a vulnerable population. so it essentially was the governing body, depending on how you look at it.

When I got a JV coaching job, (I didn't end up accepting) they told me I would be drug tested. I've never been drug tested for my other jobs (a daycare and JCP) though.

Edited because I hit submit too early lol

I do worry about it being overreaching, and that's why I think if it's a part of coach credentialing, it's not like you're constantly being tested at every comp.

But if we're worrying about supplier- isn't it HIGHLY likely that if/when this is implemented and a team DOES get caught, who do you think the first person they're going to give up is? The person who got it for them.

*this is not towards dani, but just parents in general... So don't take it the wrong way*
One of the problems I have with drug and alcohol use is that most people are either A. Oblivious, or B. They turn the other cheek. How often do you hear about people going to a party, driving drunk, doing serious drugs and you just blow it off? And how many kids do you see that are good at hiding it? The kids I see posting pictures from parties on twitter and Instagram I can't help but question where the parents are in the situation. Your children are posting pictures of drugs, alcohol, and most parents are quick to say "oh no, my child will never do that...." Like I'm sorry, do you really think the beer pong table or the cup in their hand is just a coincidence? I'm not trying to judge people but I'm actually thankful for having an overprotective mom because it has kept me out of so much trouble. I know you can't control your kids once they go to college but in high school is where (most) kids are first introduced to these kind of drugs, the only difference about college is that they're more accessible.
As for cheerleading and drugs and alcohol- I believe all programs should have a zero tolerance policy. I know when I was younger I looked up to every single one of the girls who were older than me. Your role as a senior aged cheerleader is not only to be a part of a team, but to be a ROLE MODEL. Do you know how many kids follow you in Instagram and twitter and want to be just like you when they grow up? Are your pictures of drinking and smoking setting a good example for the younger kids? Absolutely not. Drug testing shouldn't be done on random athletes, but ALL senior aged athletes in your gym. Monthly. Harsh? Probably. But how many times is a tragedy going to have to happen before someone puts a stop to it? It's sad that this is what our sport has to come to, but how far are we going to let this go on before we do something that is actually effective?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

*this is not towards dani, but just parents in general... So don't take it the wrong way*
One of the problems I have with drug and alcohol use is that most people are either A. Oblivious, or B. They turn the other cheek. How often do you hear about people going to a party, driving drunk, doing serious drugs and you just blow it off? And how many kids do you see that are good at hiding it? The kids I see posting pictures from parties on twitter and Instagram I can't help but question where the parents are in the situation. Your children are posting pictures of drugs, alcohol, and most parents are quick to say "oh no, my child will never do that...." Like I'm sorry, do you really think the beer pong table or the cup in their hand is just a coincidence? I'm not trying to judge people but I'm actually thankful for having an overprotective mom because it has kept me out of so much trouble. I know you can't control your kids once they go to college but in high school is where (most) kids are first introduced to these kind of drugs, the only difference about college is that they're more accessible.
As for cheerleading and drugs and alcohol- I believe all programs should have a zero tolerance policy. I know when I was younger I looked up to every single one of the girls who were older than me. Your role as a senior aged cheerleader is not only to be a part of a team, but to be a ROLE MODEL. Do you know how many kids follow you in Instagram and twitter and want to be just like you when they grow up? Are your pictures of drinking and smoking setting a good example for the younger kids? Absolutely not. Drug testing shouldn't be done on random athletes, but ALL senior aged athletes in your gym. Monthly. Harsh? Probably. But how many times is a tragedy going to have to happen before someone puts a stop to it? It's sad that this is what our sport has to come to, but how far are we going to let this go on before we do something that is actually effective?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
This.this.this. I have a best friend who's mom is the picture of "not my child". I remember sitting in the pool with her and my mom the summer after my freshman or sophomore year of college and her asking me about some of the kids we graduated with and how they were doing. One of our valedictorians had chosen the party routes at school and almost lost her full ride and switched from pharmacy to communications because it allowed her more social time. When I mentioned the girl's name she was quick to say I can't believe how much her and her best fried ( who I also went to school with) party, I'm so glad my daughter isn't like that. My mom and I just shared one of those looks because she knew that her daughter partied just as much.

I also can't get over how many high school kids so freely post on social media pictures of partying/ tweets about drinking.

My previous post was made on my phone and I thought it quoted you but it didn't so just letting you know I replied to you in my previous post @ACEDAD

You have very well reasoned, well thought out posts. I agree with you and respect how mature you are, especially for being so young!

Last edited:
That article broke my heart. I can't imagine how much that phone call hurt her mom.. To think that she was about to go visit her and make sure she was doing okay. Ugh my heart hurts for that family.

It was probably a difficult decision to share Dani's story with the public but I'm glad she did. Athletes need to know what could happen if they turn to such dangerous ways of dealing with the stress.

Here are the answers to a lot of questions we dealt with on here

Mother of UofL cheerleader talks daughter's tragic battle with addiction |
WHAS11.com Louisville

i have a lot of respect for her mom for stepping up and publicly tell her story on TV considering how she just lost her daughter and seemed to have tried everything in her power to make her better in the past. Very very sad

When things like this happen, people are so quick to accuse parents of denial or whatever. The reality is, unfortunately, we have so little control over what our adult children do. I've dealt with this on a smaller scale (well, I hope) and it feels impossible and exhausting. You wake up every day feeling as if you've failed. Yet, adults are really free to make their own choices. At the end of the day, their parents are ultimately powerless.

When things like this happen, people are so quick to accuse parents of denial or whatever. The reality is, unfortunately, we have so little control over what our adult children do. I've dealt with this on a smaller scale (well, I hope) and it feels impossible and exhausting. You wake up every day feeling as if you've failed. Yet, adults are really free to make their own choices. At the end of the day, their parents are ultimately powerless.

OMG This.

This is so true. I don't post most of it online, but for sure I've been through some things with cp20 that I'm just powerless to help her with. When your child is an adult, and even more so when they are an adult not living with you, all you can really do is try - and hope. More often than not, I feel like a complete failure with her.

I sooooooo know where Dani's mom is coming from (again, on what I hope is a smaller scale - but still heart breaking and frustrating) - and her story broke my heart.

Back