Successful Skills Bribes/rewards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2011
Is it wrong to bribe/reward my CP for successfully achieving a certain tumbling skill? I admit that i offered her 'Belly Button Piercing' when she successfully/repeatedly threw her full. (15 yrs old at the time)
I saw dozens of photos on FaceBook after Worlds of freshly pierced bellys, so i must not be the only one! LOL

Well, if we agree that it's not the worst thing in the world to do... what's a good bribe/reward for her successfully/repeatedly throwing her dbl full?? She's actually very close, but i think she needs that EXTRA push/motivation! She's 16 going on 17.

I'm open to all thoughts, suggestions, and opinions. Thx

p.s. I have even considered a used car, but not sure how practical that will be with her going off to college next year.

My mom bribes me ONLY to push me harder. Usually she will say "If you don't throw ____ tonight...your off the team." Which makes me even more determined because knowing her, you'll never know what she will do! I guess you can call her a cheer coach :)

My gymnastics coach used to bribe everyone else in the gym. When I was in college and back visiting I asked him why he never bribed me, he said, "MissBee, all I ever had to do was tell you 'you can't do it' and that was enough motivation for you"....made me feel good to know that I was driven internally rather than externally.

I cheer on a senior team, and we actually told our coach that we wanted a sticker chart like we all had when we were little in gymnastics. Whenever we get a new skill, we get to put a sticker under that skill next to our name on the chart. At ten stickers we get a candy bar, and another candy bar after each additional 5. It's surprising how much getting a little sticker motivates us! It also helps us keep track of what we need to get and who's working hard and who's not.

my mom doesnt really "bribe" me, but she was a national tumbler in high school so when she watches me shes really specific on what i need to fix and that motivates me.

I think it's a sign of an excellent coach if they can figure out what intrinsically motivates each individual athlete, rather than resorting to the blanket prize/money. The sticker chart is the closest to an intrinsic reward.

I have worked the "chart" concept for years. Are you ready cause I'm about to go cheer mom psycho on you all ;).

Each season (summer, fall, winter, etc) I would sit down with her and set a bunch of goals. These goals could be anything from achieving a new tumbling skill (her goals), to not taking a single step out of her triple toe back, to landing a double down all the way around with toes pointed and feet together. In otherwords, it could be skill based, or technique based (my goals lol). If she had obtained a new skill she would get a "star" for each time she threw that new skill each day. If it was an old skill that wasn't looking so good lately, I would reward stars when I saw it thrown correctly. Each day that she worked out at home she got stars for that. If she landed a new skill for the first time, I might reward 5 stars for it for a few days. If the coaches gave her goals they went on the chart. We used it for everything related to cheer. The chart was adjusted as needed.

We would determine how much money she would earn for 100 stars. This amount of money dropped lower and lower as the seasons rolled by. I think the last time we did this (last summer) she would earn $20 and it would take anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks. This system worked great for us because (1) she is extremely motivated by keeping track and watching progress on a chart (2) she is so busy in the school year I don't require her to do chores so this is her way to earn herself some spending dough, and (3) I make her buy everything herself except clothing and necessary items. She would actually make the chart and really looked forward to making the "new" chart each quarter. Her summer chart was VERY skill driven, and her fall chart was based on technique and consistency. Her winter chart actually included rewards for pefect full out routines. I never rewarded for hitting clean in competition though hahaha. That reward was intrinsic!!

How would I monitor this? I watch most practices and tumbling classes. But she was great at self-monitoring most of the time and was honest with me when I wasn't there (I hope ;) ). We haven't used a chart now in about a year (mostly because we got too busy to keep track with her double teaming last year). I do highly recommend it for athletes who are driven by monitored progress. It REALLY motivated her. This system does not motivate everyone though - it never worked for my son :).

My cp wanted a pillow pet so when she started working on her double I told her that would be her prize. She landed it the 3 day lol. I also gave her $5 for landing her 1 to a full. The next thing to get a prize is a standing full and I am not sure what she will get for that. Her private coach gives her money all the time lol.

I have worked the "chart" concept for years. Are you ready cause I'm about to go cheer mom psycho on you all ;).

Each day that she worked out at home she got stars for that.

It REALLY motivated her. This system does not motivate everyone though - it never worked for my son :).

I am curious what a work out at home might look like / consist of?

Thanks,
Kristi

Back