High School Summer Conditioning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
How do you encourage an attitude of commitment if you live in a state that does not allow coaches to mandate summer conditioning?

How do you encourage an attitude of commitment if you live in a state that does not allow coaches to mandate summer conditioning?
Girls who show up and work hard get the better spots and skills. Simple. If you didn't show up you wouldn't be up to par with everyone else, and no girl wants that. Our summer practices were more laid back, so they were fun and everyone looked forward to going. That also helped a lot.

My girls had a list of things that they were supposed to do on their own. Everyone was given the same list. And, there was no stretching on it anywhere. It was a really stupid list with exercises that were not helpful. I know that isn't a huge shock given all of my posts.

I wish I could find a list. It was really awful and not applicable or useful.

My girls had a list of things that they were supposed to do on their own. Everyone was given the same list. And, there was no stretching on it anywhere. It was a really stupid list with exercises that were not helpful. I know that isn't a huge shock given all of my posts.

I wish I could find a list. It was really awful and not applicable or useful.
I checked the rules and found that I'd be able to run non mandatory, public cheer workshops over the summer if I volunteer for or am hired by a parks/rec dept.

We had two open practices a week all summer and they turned out great. They are not mandatory because we accept family vacations as an excuse (until the official season starts in August) but they need to let us know in advance if they cannot attend. An hour or less before practice starts does not count as in advance. We ran a timed mile, conditioned, learned cheers and spent some time on stunts and tumbling. We focused most on strengh /conditioning and flexibility. The girls who attended all or most practices really benefitted because they were ready for the official first day of the season where team had to finish mile in a set time to be able to participate in practice. We had alternates as well so girls came to work to earn a spot. That is always one way to keep them motivated. This was all with our JV squad. The varsity team practiced once a week with the same rules.

You need strong captains that help encourage the workouts, and some bonding occasionally afterwards (ice cream, beach trip, etc) may help. Can you contract with a local gymnastics or all star gym for a discounted open tumble session once a week?
I am sure you have checked your state rules, but some states don't allow coaches to attend even workouts during the summer.
I know some coaches post all of the cheers/conditioning expectations on a team facebook page so that they can be learned/done during the summer, and kids are expected to know the cheers by the end of the summer so that practice time can be focused on competition once the season officially starts, but it doesn't mean that the kids will actually do them. Good luck!

My state does not allow teams to practice for more than a certain number of hours per day, and from reading the rules it looks like tumbling classes are counted as practice. We can practice on the weekend with permission... does anyone here cheer on/coach for a team that takes tumbling on Saturdays?

My state does not allow teams to practice for more than a certain number of hours per day, and from reading the rules it looks like tumbling classes are counted as practice. We can practice on the weekend with permission... does anyone here cheer on/coach for a team that takes tumbling on Saturdays?
We had practice every Saturday from August to November, with the exception of the day of Homecoming.

Saturday mornings. The very occasional once in a blue moon Sunday evening. Saturday mornings aren't too bad, but can get old!

We have 2 open conditionings a week until tryouts the first week of August... It's not allowed to be mandatory in our state but I always tell the girls it's highly recommended to attend. I take attendance and during tryouts if it comes down to decisions I will look at attendance to help separate girls with close scores. Usually I don't have an issue with newer, younger girls attending, but the juniors and seniors will slack off and in the end it hurts them, usually resulting in them losing positions such as one of our stronger flyers losing one of their front spots or losing key skills they had in previous years come start of the season. They will eventually get it back but it's always harder on them with the pressure to get that standing tuck they haven't thrown since last season back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy sleeping in, Saturday is usually the only day that happens. We've done Saturdays for about 5 years now, it gets old fast. The off season really makes you realize how much you love non-Saturday practices!
Yes, we had practice at 8 am on Saturdays, it was especially hard on the days where we had an away football game the night before and didn't get home until midnight or so.

Not sure what they plan to do this season. Normally tryouts are in June but right now on the calendar they are in August (along with all the other fall sports at the HS) so have no clue how this will impact the summer given they have no clue who will be on varsity aside from the returning girls.

Back