All-Star Summer Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
Just curious, what is summer like at your gym?

Are practices more relaxed than during the season, do lots of people miss practice for vacation or other activities? Does the gym have more classes, fewer classes? Have you officially started the 2017/2018 season?

We started in May. The team has twice a week during the summer with Sundays resuming in September. They also have approximately 5 days of choreography on the calendar. There are two scheduled vacation weeks, and 4 days off around Labor Day, and we are asked to schedule family vacations during that time (this is for the entire gym). Kids rarely miss practice.

We have 2 two hour practices a week which are grouped by levels. They condition as a group and then move into tumbling and stunt practice groups. We don't have choreography camp until August, and teams aren't finalized yet. There is a break for 4th of July week, and kids can miss for vacation or camp. Some of the kids who did Summit or Worlds take part of the summer off as a break.

There are tumbling and skills classes M-Th, but no weekend practices or classes.

We started end of May and they do 2 practices a week with an Open Gym one day also. Right now it's just conditioning/tumbling mostly. They finally did some stunting with some of the newer girls. Lots of girls aren't there because of vacation so it's always pretty relaxed. Depending on the # of girls at each practice, they will go shorter than a full 2 hours as well. They do have choreography coming up though in July.

at my gym we have one practice a week in the summer, which is used to build skills. choreo happens in either late august or early september. practices are pretty chill and as far as attendance goes, the policy is if you're in town, you're expected to be there, but attendance isn't mandatory, so people are free to schedule vacations at any time.

We started in May. The team has twice a week during the summer with Sundays resuming in September. They also have approximately 5 days of choreography on the calendar. There are two scheduled vacation weeks, and 4 days off around Labor Day, and we are asked to schedule family vacations during that time (this is for the entire gym). Kids rarely miss practice.

CP is on a lower level at this same gym. We are expected to plan around the specific gym closings, but are allowed two missed absences over the summer due to travel. I would say about 1/3 of the team uses them but the dates must be cleared with the coaches beforehand, so we can get replacements if needed. We have one mandatory weekend and then 2-3 additional days for choreo. There are also several open gyms available and usually 2-3 optional guest clinics, one of which is with Debbie Love :)

There are also several open gyms available and usually 2-3 optional guest clinics, one of which is with Debbie Love :)

I have the opportunity to attend a Debbie Love clinic. But it's unclear exactly what the clinic is about. Can you fill me in on her significance?

She is a very highly regarded tumbling coach, her daughters are NCA college cheerleaders at Oklahoma State and she is now the coach of cheer leading at University of Kentucky.

We only practice 1x a week in the summer and attendance isn't mandatory. Starting in Sept, it is 2x a week and you are expected to be there.

We do regular 2 day practices. My daughters IO5 team is a tryout the month of June and then if needed cuts. A lot of tumbling and stunting month of June/July figuring out stunt groups. August more structured.
We have an awesome stunting clinic in July with univ. of Kentucky/ USA team members.

Regular practice schedule (2 hours, 2x/week) . If you are in town you are expected to attend. If out of town it is excused, you just have to let them know in advance. Already started on some choreography and everyone was there.

Practice and conditioning once a week for 2.5 hours. The gym is closed 1 week during the summer and they ask that you schedule your vacations around that. If you can't it's fine. We have one week of stunt camp and one week of choreography. In September we go back to twice per week. We still have tumbling classes, privates and open gym during the summer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Love Debbie Love!!!!!

I feel attendance was better when CP's were on youth teams. Now that they are on senior teams, I see many athletes miss for different camps such as School Cheer, Sports, etc. I also think as parents stay in Cheer longterm they relax and realize, missing a couple of practices for a Summer Vacation won't cost their team a jacket, but can take away family memories that could last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Back