High School Summer Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe 3 coaches in 5 years is the same employment record that that high school in Texas had... the school that got the Lifetime movie.

At least this'll be your daughter's last year.

ETA: scratch that, I think they had 5 coaches in 3 years.

Last edited:
We hold "open gyms" all summer long (excluding the dead period) Tues-Thurs for 2 hours. Thursday is a tumbling practice.
We can't make these open gyms mandatory until August when the season actually starts. We do tell our girls that if they don't come to the summer open gyms, they risk losing their spot in their stunt group or in our homecoming routine. Usually this keeps the girls from skipping.

Our camp is next weekend.
We won't start choreo until competitive season, which begins in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are allowed 3 days @ camp that the team can work skills together. Other than that, we are not allowed to gather as a team until August 21st. August 21st - 23rd are conditioning days only - not stunting or tumbling allowed. August 24th is when actual practices may begin (stunting, tumbling, etc.)

We are attending a 2 day NCA Home camp August 8th-9th
Conditioning days will be August 21st-23rd
Practice starts on August 24th
Choreography is August 26th - 27th
Our first competition is usually mid-October

Our state as mandatory dead weeks. Last week of June and first week of July every year. Aside from those two weeks, we practice throughout the summer. 3 days a week, practices are 2-2.5 hours long. We had a camp in June and will have another camp this month.

We don't do optional summer practices. It's a waste of everyone's time (especially mine.) We may do optional open gyms, but if it's a team practice, its mandatory. They do get so many allowed misses for the year, so if they choose to miss in the summer in just counts against their misses. It's up to them to plan out how they intend to use them.

Our state as mandatory dead weeks. Last week of June and first week of July every year. Aside from those two weeks, we practice throughout the summer. 3 days a week, practices are 2-2.5 hours long. We had a camp in June and will have another camp this month.

We don't do optional summer practices. It's a waste of everyone's time (especially mine.) We may do optional open gyms, but if it's a team practice, its mandatory. They do get so many allowed misses for the year, so if they choose to miss in the summer in just counts against their misses. It's up to them to plan out how they intend to use them.

Amen to the not worth it. We have been polling the team for numbers, out of 18, last week we had 12, 2 weeks ago we had 11... still could do some single base and pyramid work, BUT any less then 10 and we won't have it. We have had up to 15 so I am definitely not complaining.... however, all 18 would be wonderful. :)

My daughter's HS cheer squad started their summer practice schedule with a 2 day camp to review the basics back in at the beginning of June after school got out. Since then, the whole squad (JV & Varsity) practice 2x a week for 2 hours and the competition squad practices an additional 1x per week to work on their routine.

We are now: 4 days a week 2.5 hrs a day (you can take vacation as you please as practice is "open" work out) but kids typically don't miss more than a couple of days here and there because they don't want to miss work out oppertunities or miss out on some really fun activities we plan. They also know kids who attend regularly and show up on time 1. Get awards at end of summer 2.Are typically featured more in routines because their skill set is higher
3.With us, you miss one practice, you fall REALLY behind
We have a 3 week dead period for Christmas break
UCA camp 4 days this week
Choreo 3 Days the week after
4 clean up clinics throughout this season
Comp starts first week of November

Yeah, we absolutely aren't practicing enough and probably won't. The girls were told at camp that only 12 of them would be competing. Then, they were not told who was picked and think the routine may have been changed for all 16 of them.

I asked about adding practices and got a "possibly". I asked in the group message and the coach answered me privately. I think if I put my foot down against competing that most of the parents would back me. Our coach doesn't have the temperament or the time to have a successful comp team.

I know some of you are thinking I am that parent from hell, but I will not allow our girls to go and be embarrassed just so the coach can say they competed.

We hold tryouts in the late spring and practices over the summer twice a week.

In addition, we have "skills trainings" that are twice a week for a total of four days a week starting in mid-June.
One day is open stunt where they can work on whatever stunts they want (or we want), in a more "open gym" format. The other day is tumbling.
Then they have Weight Lifting through the school later in the day of skills training.

They can miss practice without repercussions as long as they inform us- i.e. vacations, sick, etc. We expect them to be there and although we can't punish them for not coming we do keep track so we can take it into account if it happens during the school year as well.

We practice for 3 hours for our team practices, and 2 hours for skills trainings. The last hour is broken down into 30 min for team conditioning, 15 min of static stretching, and 15 min of announcements.

Back