OT Summer Project...get Past The Trepidation Of Wearing Revealing Clothing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 1, 2016
A little background...

I grew up in a pretty conservative house. I have a sister who just graduated from high school, a older brother and younger sister. We were not allowed to wear even somewhat revealing clothing in public. Like if we were to go to the public pool, we were not allowed to wear a two piece bikini. We could wear a one piece and that was it. If we were outside doing chores or whatever, we could wear like tank tops and shorts but the shorts couldn't be less than half way up the thigh. I'd go to the mall and look at the teen girls that would go to my private school and wish I could wear that seeing them in short shorts and either wearing regular crop tops or off the shoulder crop tops. My parents are starting to loosen up somewhat on the clothing restriction since have some money from doing babysitting jobs and chores. I'm realizing now with getting into cheer, some of our uniforms and stuff can get rather revealing. I would like to get past my nervousness and Trepidation of wearing clothing that shows more skin than I'm used to wearing with having strict parents when it comes to clothing and going to a private school where we have a school uniform every day. How do I get past my Trepidation and get used to wearing clothing from this new world by the end of summer?

Honestly the only way to get over the fear is to just do it. So this summer if you go swimming, wear a two piece or a monokini. It doesn't even have to be super revealing, just something out of your comfort zone. Wear shorts that are shorter than you're used to, or shirts that are off the shoulder. It'll take time to get used to it, but at competitions it's not a big deal to wear the uniform because everyone else is too. Also if the uniform top is a crop top, you have to be wearing a shirt or jacket unless you're warming up or at awards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly the only way to get over the fear is to just do it. So this summer if you go swimming, wear a two piece or a monokini. It doesn't even have to be super revealing, just something out of your comfort zone. Wear shorts that are shorter than you're used to, or shirts that are off the shoulder. It'll take time to get used to it, but at competitions it's not a big deal to wear the uniform because everyone else is too. Also if the uniform top is a crop top, you have to be wearing a shirt or jacket unless you're warming up or at awards.

I have some old shorts, shirts, leggings and yoga pants laying around that I don't wear anymore. I could just repurpose them to serve this purpose. Because I need to be able to get past this.

Sometimes things like this take time and instead of going straight t a bikini of shorter shorts. Maybe try a tankini which is more covered but still two piece then work yourself to a bikini and then finding slightly short short you are comfortable with

Just be smart about it and do everything in moderation. Don't got straight to the string bikini or super short shorts. Start with a happy medium and just see where your new comfort zone is. You don't have to be super revealing to be stylish. My CP isn't interested in wearing crop tops in public, and is uncomfortable in shorts that are super short. She likes a couple inches below what HAS to be covered. So does wear bikinis, but not the string variety. She likes a bottom with at least an inch of fabric on the sides. Not because I tell her she cannot wear these things but because that is what SHE is comfortable doing. You have to find what works for YOU!

The first time that you wear something outside of your comfort zone, make sure you are doing something fun (going to amusement park, swimming with friends, etc). Having a lot of fun will make you less likely to even think of what you are wearing and will make it a little easier to overcome than to just wearing something while hanging out at the house or something.

Friendly reminder that if you don't want to wear revealing clothing, you don't have to. Since you want to do this to be comfortable for cheer, maybe focus on wearing tank tops to cheer practice and then when/if you get comfortable, wear sports bras. And as for shorts, you could start with track shorts or Capri sports leggings, then move to Nike pro style spandex when/if you get comfortable. You could make this more cheer focused than just getting comfortable wearing revealing clothing (unless you just want to wear more revealing clothing in general, then feel free to disregard this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes things like this take time and instead of going straight t a bikini of shorter shorts. Maybe try a tankini which is more covered but still two piece then work yourself to a bikini and then finding slightly short short you are comfortable with

I do own a tankini as a compromise swim suit. I just haven't worn it yet. I got it in a clearance sale last fall at a local retailer. I would however love to be able to wear a regularly strapped two piece and not a string bikini.

Just be smart about it and do everything in moderation. Don't got straight to the string bikini or super short shorts. Start with a happy medium and just see where your new comfort zone is. You don't have to be super revealing to be stylish. My CP isn't interested in wearing crop tops in public, and is uncomfortable in shorts that are super short. She likes a couple inches below what HAS to be covered. So does wear bikinis, but not the string variety. She likes a bottom with at least an inch of fabric on the sides. Not because I tell her she cannot wear these things but because that is what SHE is comfortable doing. You have to find what works for YOU!

I do want to take my time making this transition. I'm just not sure where to start. The most revealing everyday clothing I have is shorts that come down to about mid thigh and shirt wise the most revealing things I have is a couple of tops with spaghetti straps that to down past my waist line and some tank tops. Where would be some good places to get crop tops and shorter shorts at a decent price? I just don't want to go breaking the bank.

The first time that you wear something outside of your comfort zone, make sure you are doing something fun (going to amusement park, swimming with friends, etc). Having a lot of fun will make you less likely to even think of what you are wearing and will make it a little easier to overcome than to just wearing something while hanging out at the house or something.

I did go out of my comfort zone for the first time today. I was at a friend's and we decided to go to the mall and watch a movie while we were there. I wore a Cami with spaghetti straps, a off the shoulder crop top, a mini skirt and a pair of thigh high socks with high heels. It was fun but made me a little nervous at first. I think it was the initial jitters wearing something short. After about an hour I totally forgot about what I was wearing (or lack there of) and being my normal self. I really liked it and it felt...freeing. I think if I wore it at home...I would have been thinking a lot about it.

Friendly reminder that if you don't want to wear revealing clothing, you don't have to. Since you want to do this to be comfortable for cheer, maybe focus on wearing tank tops to cheer practice and then when/if you get comfortable, wear sports bras. And as for shorts, you could start with track shorts or Capri sports leggings, then move to Nike pro style spandex when/if you get comfortable. You could make this more cheer focused than just getting comfortable wearing revealing clothing (unless you just want to wear more revealing clothing in general, then feel free to disregard this).

I did try wearing some more daring stuff today. I wore nothing too short. I was a little nervous at first but got used to it quickly. I totally forgot about what I was wearing...or lack there of after about an hour I did like it. I thought that I wanted to do this just for cheer. I think I'll be doing this more often than just cheer.

@cheerbailey H&M has some cute clothes for a good price. Forever21 has nice stuff-good prices too. Also Ross & TJMaxx. Aeropostale sometimes has bin sales.

Just remember that you don't NEED to wear revealing clothing. For some people that's just their style and its actually what they're comfortable wearing. There are TONS of cute clothes that are perfect for summer without being super short/cropped.

But- if you are wanting to go the cropped route, a good combo is wearing a crop top with high waisted shorts. That way not as much skin is showing, but still being a bit more revealing

Just remember that you don't NEED to wear revealing clothing. For some people that's just their style and its actually what they're comfortable wearing. There are TONS of cute clothes that are perfect for summer without being super short/cropped.

But- if you are wanting to go the cropped route, a good combo is wearing a crop top with high waisted shorts. That way not as much skin is showing, but still being a bit more revealing

I can't shimmy on the app, but this.

There is no reason that you have to wear anything revealing even at the gym. I like Nike pros/spandex under track shorts. They have some longer inseam Nike pros also.

If you are gearing up to have to wear your uniform, that is different than wearing revealing clothing just to wear more revealing clothing.

A little background...

I grew up in a pretty conservative house. I have a sister who just graduated from high school, a older brother and younger sister. We were not allowed to wear even somewhat revealing clothing in public. Like if we were to go to the public pool, we were not allowed to wear a two piece bikini. We could wear a one piece and that was it. If we were outside doing chores or whatever, we could wear like tank tops and shorts but the shorts couldn't be less than half way up the thigh. I'd go to the mall and look at the teen girls that would go to my private school and wish I could wear that seeing them in short shorts and either wearing regular crop tops or off the shoulder crop tops. My parents are starting to loosen up somewhat on the clothing restriction since have some money from doing babysitting jobs and chores. I'm realizing now with getting into cheer, some of our uniforms and stuff can get rather revealing. I would like to get past my nervousness and Trepidation of wearing clothing that shows more skin than I'm used to wearing with having strict parents when it comes to clothing and going to a private school where we have a school uniform every day. How do I get past my Trepidation and get used to wearing clothing from this new world by the end of summer?
@cheerbailey all valid concerns written from a mature perspective. How old are you and where do you cheer?

@cheerbailey all valid concerns written from a mature perspective. How old are you and where do you cheer?

Thank you for your reply. My group just got done with our evaluations. I am 14, turning 15 on July 5. I'm not officially on a team yet but was just evaluated for FAME All-Stars. They had a facility open up near me in the last year or so. It's looking like I might be a senior 1...outside possibility of senior 2...but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Back