All-Star Summit 2019 Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Purely a guess, could be completely wrong. I see this meaning that either XS won't be a Worlds division next year and will just be at D2 Summit. Or it will be at both, but with no limitations at Worlds.

Varsity posted a clarification to their original release.

XS will be here next year [emoji18] It’s just going up to max of 16 ppl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I’m liking the wild card rule. What’s the difference then between an at large bid and a wild card now?

Thank you!!! I’ve been discussing this on Facebook with my cheer friends since it came out.

Basically this is what I said;
‪What is the point of semi-Finals if the top 5 WC teams will advance straight to finals in 2019 with no progression to semi-finals for any WC teams? There used to be an advantage winning a two day event and getting an AL Bid. Now, I don’t think there is much of an advantage at all. So next year your will be basically spending all this money to attend a two day bid event just to try to get paid because an AL Bid is essentially the same as a Wildcard now.

Financially, it makes more sense to stay local, go to more one day comps & try to get a wildcard. You’ll save a ton of money right there. Even if you don’t get paid at a two day competition you’ll have the cash at the end of the year to go to the Summit on a wildcard because you didn’t spend a ton on travel costs during the season.

Honestly, where is the progression from Wildcard Friday to Semi-Final Saturday to Finals Sunday? Could you imagine a Worlds where the top 5 teams in the 1st round of Senior Medium All-Girl on day one advance past all the paid bid winners in semi-finals? To me, it should be harder to get to finals for one day competition winners as opposed to those that have to compete two days. But that’s just my opinion.

In addition, in Wildcard & Paid you compete against your age group to win the bid. ONLY in At Large do you compete against your level. Only in AL can you say you were the best of Level 1 that comp or the best of Level 3. (Don’t get me started on 4.2 lumped with L5) Anyways, I think that’s pretty cool to say your the best of your level and then be reward for it. What is wrong with the AL Bids having a slight advantage over Wildcards by not having to worry about progressing to finals like the Wildcard teams do? After all they won their bid being the top of their level at a two day competition.

As a Wildcard you roll the dice, play the game and hope to get those top spots that advance to finals. However, if you don’t get those top spots you move to semi-finals and try your luck again. I get that some divisions are insane with the amount of bids but that’s how the Summit is. It’s a competition and you should know that some divisions are going to be bigger than others. Not everyone is going to get a trophy and in the end there will be only one team in the division sizing their fingers for rings.

IDK, maybe I am wrong. But I think it’s a mistake not having some progression to semifinals for Wildcards. I like how the system is this year. Opening up more teams being eligible to advance is a huge plus and there is still progression. That I can get behind.

Thank you!!! I’ve been discussing this on Facebook with my cheer friends since it came out.

‪What is the point of semi-Finals if the top 5 WC teams will advance straight to finals in 2019 with no progression to semi-finals for any WC teams? There used to be an advantage winning a two day event and getting an AL Bid. Now, I don’t think there is much of an advantage at all. So next year your will be basically spending all this money to attend a two day bid event just to try to get paid because an AL Bid is essentially the same as a Wildcard now.

Financially, it makes more sense to stay local, go to more one day comps & try to get a wildcard. You’ll save a ton of money right there. Even if you don’t get paid at a two day competition you’ll have the cash at the end of the year to go to the Summit on a wildcard because you didn’t spend a ton on travel costs during the season.

Honestly, where is the progression from Wildcard Friday to Semi-Final Saturday to Finals Sunday? Could you imagine a Worlds where the top 5 teams in the 1st round of Senior Medium All-Girl on day one advance past all the paid bid winners in semi-finals? To me, it should be harder to get to finals for one day competition winners as opposed to those that have to compete two days. But that’s just my opinion.

In addition, in Wildcard & Paid you compete against your age group to win the bid. ONLY in At Large do you compete against your level. Only in AL can you say you were the best of Level 1 that comp or the best of Level 3. (Don’t get me started on 4.2 lumped with L5) Anyways, I think that’s pretty cool to say your the best of your level and then be reward for it. What is wrong with the AL Bids having a slight advantage over Wildcards by not having to worry about progressing to finals like the Wildcard teams do? After all they won their bid being the top of their level at a two day competition.

As a Wildcard you roll the dice, play the game and hope to get those top spots that advance to finals. However, if you don’t get those top spots you move to semi-finals and try your luck again. I get that some divisions are insane with the amount of bids but that’s how the Summit is. It’s a competition and you should know that some divisions are going to be bigger than others. Not everyone is going to get a trophy and in the end there will be only one team in the division sizing their fingers for rings.

IDK, maybe I am wrong. But I think it’s a mistake not having some progression to semifinals for Wildcards. I like how the system is this year. Opening up more teams being eligible to advance is a huge plus and there is still progression. That I can get behind.
Yes ^^. WC should have to go to semi finals....the number should depend on teams competing.....not 5, as some divisions have less than 5 and some have over 40. Paid bids don't even give u an advantage why should WC?

Last edited:
Yeah...the only benefit to an AL is that you miss one less day of school. I really have no room to complain, I suppose...this is our 4th Summit and Cp has never been in one of those huge divisions.

Open 4 at Summit makes me so happy!! About time there was some similar goal to Worlds for open level athletes. Not everyone can compete on an open 5/6 team. I'd seriously consider doing Open 4 for this, just to go to Summit too. And the fact that there are separate divisions for Open 4 and Open CoEd 4 is the best thing I've heard all day. Adult males make a big difference for a coed versus all girl team, andI never understood why they were always lumped together in competitions. It seemed so unfair to the all girl teams

VAS has had their open 4 team for 2 seasons now, I think. (I'm super tempted to try out, but I have the tumbling skills of a moldy potato...)
If VAS is too far/too much money, Absolute Cheer and Panther Cheer had open 4/4.2 teams this season. Adrenaline and Champion Cheer have had them in previous seasons but it looks like they might not have had them this season.
Oh I feel that moldy potato vibe. I used to work level 4 skills but took too much time off and I'm currently super senioring on a senior 2 team. I'm actually not sure which of those gyms is closer, I live just south of the border, about 30 or so minutes.
I bet we see a huge increase in open 4 teams in the states though! So exciting.

Double posting here. My team won wildcard round the very first year (2015) in small sr 1 and it was one of the most amazing feelings. Back then you had to compete all 3 days if you won wildcard which honestly makes the most sense out of all of these wildcard changes through the years. And only 1 team won. The rest were done. I think there was like 10ish teams in that division that year?
I feel like with SO MANY teams advancing, Wildcard really loses its whole point. Also, I personally would NOT want to skip semis and go straight to finals. If you're really that great of a team, you'd want to have a good semis run to see how your score stacks against the other AL/Paid teams. My team missed finals by like .8 or something and it was still an insane accomplishment for us to win wildcard against some pretty big name gyms.

Open 4 at Summit makes me so happy!! About time there was some similar goal to Worlds for open level athletes. Not everyone can compete on an open 5/6 team. I'd seriously consider doing Open 4 for this, just to go to Summit too. And the fact that there are separate divisions for Open 4 and Open CoEd 4 is the best thing I've heard all day. Adult males make a big difference for a coed versus all girl team, andI never understood why they were always lumped together in competitions. It seemed so unfair to the all girl teams
Idk about in Canada, but in the US they aren't combined, there just aren't any all girl teams. If there were, they would be split at comps.

This!!!! I couldn’t agree more!

I hate to sound rude, but I feel like the new wild card rule is the Cheer equivalent to “everyone gets a trophy”
Yeah, maybe. But frankly, I think what was probably happening was that WCs in those huge divisions were like, “no way in hell are we making our team’s families pay that amount for basically a one day comp,” and declined bids. Varsity needed to offer WCs at least a snowball’s chance of moving on, hence 3 versus 1 teams advancing. I have absolutely no idea why the WC #1 AND #2 go directly to Sunday, though. I can’t puzzle out the logic of that. :)

Varsity posted a clarification to their original release.

XS will be here next year [emoji18] It’s just going up to max of 16 ppl

Will it be open to everyone, or still just gyms with one Worlds team?

Idk about in Canada, but in the US they aren't combined, there just aren't any all girl teams. If there were, they would be split at comps.

Interesting. All open 4 teams I've seen compete in 1 division. Even when local teams went to the US to compete, there was only 1 Open 4 division, with both all-girl and co-ed combined together. Sr 4 is split, so I never understood why Open was different.

Yeah, maybe. But frankly, I think what was probably happening was that WCs in those huge divisions were like, “no way in hell are we making our team’s families pay that amount for basically a one day comp,” and declined bids. Varsity needed to offer WCs at least a snowball’s chance of moving on, hence 3 versus 1 teams advancing. I have absolutely no idea why the WC #1 AND #2 go directly to Sunday, though. I can’t puzzle out the logic of that. :)

I get not wanting to go to a 1 day COMP... but I don’t feel like they should advance all the way to the last day. I like the idea of more teams advancing to the next round, but the next round should be Saturday with the At-large and Paid teams. Follow closer to what is done now. 1st place advances to Sunday and 2-5 or however many in larger divisions advance to Saturday.

Back