All-Star Summit 2019 Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If WC bids become more attractive will that mean more teams go to one day comps instead of two days and less profit for Varsity from comp fees and entrance fees? Did they think this through...? :D :cool:

I think as a parent with those huge wildcard divisions, I’d be unhappy paying for an expensive trip to Disney with the current odds of making it through. I suspect many teams opted out of going because of those reasons. This will make accepting those wildcard bids a little more attractive. Hopefully get more teams to the one day comps. Our local ones have gotten smaller over the years. Less travel comps = more money in my pocket for Disney.

I think as a parent with those huge wildcard divisions, I’d be unhappy paying for an expensive trip to Disney with the current odds of making it through. I suspect many teams opted out of going because of those reasons. This will make accepting those wildcard bids a little more attractive. Hopefully get more teams to the one day comps. Our local ones have gotten smaller over the years. Less travel comps = more money in my pocket for Disney.
Idk, I don't see adding 2 more teams to go through in those huge divisions as being too much of a difference. For divisions that have 61 or more teams, 5 going through will actually be less than how many will go through this year.

I just wish they would bring back Bid announcements to the actual competitions. It’s so much more exciting for the athletes, parents and coaches who are all in the moment of surprise. Now, it’s almost known who will be receiving bids after scores are released, hunted down, etc. We received our Worlds bid via a webcast this year and I was so deflated when I found out they were not going to be announced at the comp. It is what it is, but it’s not the same. No banner, trophy, etc.

I love the Summit bid announcements as they are now - mostly because I know that many times, a team that competed in the morning can't always stick around all day for the 9pm awards ceremony to see if they won the bid. If that happens, they all get the news separately. My whole gym practices on Monday nights and it was amazing to have full teams present for their bid reveals so everyone could celebrate together. I really loved being able to see ALL of the kids on my team react to their bid, and I loved for my team to be present when the other teams in the gym got their bids so they could celebrate for them.

Worlds bids, I think those are better at competition. Those only go to a few divisions so they are usually awarded not TOO long after they perform or have their initial awards so everyone sticks around.

I know this thread is now old, but I was looking through some stuff and realized I have no clue what they mean by "we will no longer be passing down bids". Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but does that mean that if somebody already has a bid, the bid will not be given to the next best team? I really hope I'm off on this one.

I know this thread is now old, but I was looking through some stuff and realized I have no clue what they mean by "we will no longer be passing down bids". Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but does that mean that if somebody already has a bid, the bid will not be given to the next best team? I really hope I'm off on this one.

Good question. I always assumed that meant if someone received an at large bid and later upgraded to a paid bid that the at large bid would not be passed down to the next deserving team. I guess that statement needs a little more clarification from Varsity.

Good question. I always assumed that meant if someone received an at large bid and later upgraded to a paid bid that the at large bid would not be passed down to the next deserving team. I guess that statement needs a little more clarification from Varsity.
That’s what I would assume it meant too...

WOW! I'm late to the game, but having teams go through to finals and not compete Saturday is a big strange in my mind. It kind of makes it the same as getting a bid in that regard. Sure, it thins the field and all that, but the whole point of a wild card bid in my mind was that it was a lower level bid so teams still had to compete a bit more to earn their spot. A bummer for some teams, but I felt like it allowed teams that were on the bubble of getting a bid to have a shot. Taking away that second performance before finals makes all the bids the same more or less..... Or am I missing something?

WOW! I'm late to the game, but having teams go through to finals and not compete Saturday is a big strange in my mind. It kind of makes it the same as getting a bid in that regard. Sure, it thins the field and all that, but the whole point of a wild card bid in my mind was that it was a lower level bid so teams still had to compete a bit more to earn their spot. A bummer for some teams, but I felt like it allowed teams that were on the bubble of getting a bid to have a shot. Taking away that second performance before finals makes all the bids the same more or less..... Or am I missing something?
Wildcards have always had teams advance right through to finals, all that changed was that they increased the number of teams that will.

Wildcards have always had teams advance right through to finals, all that changed was that they increased the number of teams that will.

Right, but didn't it also say no teams will advance to day two? Before It was some teams went on to day two while two went to finals. Unless I read it wrong they are taking away the difference between wild card and regular bids.

Right, but didn't it also say no teams will advance to day two? Before It was some teams went on to day two while two went to finals. Unless I read it wrong they are taking away the difference between wild card and regular bids.
Increasing the number of teams that move out of wildcard straight to finals also increases the number of teams willing to accept wildcard bids. Wildcard is the moneymaker because they pay for the whole weekend just in case they move to finals and come a day early and well. The more teams they have in wildcard, the more money they make. As a business move, it's a smart business decision. I know in the past some gyms have said they wont accept wildcard bids but if gyms think there's a good shot of moving to finals, they (or their parents) might be more likely to accept wildcards . Each year it seems like there are less paid bids and more wildcard bids.

Correct. 2 went to finals and 1 went to semis. Now 5 will go to finals. None to semis from WC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In d2 (I believe), bids were passed down last year. This year no bids will be passed down. Or they were just clarifying for everyone to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Increasing the number of teams that move out of wildcard straight to finals also increases the number of teams willing to accept wildcard bids. Wildcard is the moneymaker because they pay for the whole weekend just in case they move to finals and come a day early and well. The more teams they have in wildcard, the more money they make. As a business move, it's a smart business decision. I know in the past some gyms have said they wont accept wildcard bids but if gyms think there's a good shot of moving to finals, they (or their parents) might be more likely to accept wildcards . Each year it seems like there are less paid bids and more wildcard bids.

Yeah but more gyms will go to 1 day comps instead of 2 day. That's less money for Varsity... :confused:

Back