All-Star Summit Bid Declarations 2018

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That would give a lot of families multiple trips to Florida, too. I suspect that what you'd see is a lot fewer youth teams, and more junior ones that just happen to be on the young side. (And then more middle school age kids who don't want to be on junior teams because of all the little kids).

As a coach of youth and senior teams there is NO way in HECK im paying to go to Orlando that many times

I could see the junior year age minimum coming back if they eliminated youth divisions from the summit which I am not in agreement with personally.

I know everyone says the kids will eventually get tired of Disney going 5+ years straight but what about NCA Nationals, Jamfest Indy and Cheersport all of those events have traditionally been held in the same arena for years but there is always a continued sense of excitement.

Why would they remove youth? That doesn't even make logical sense. They are getting ready to open an entirely new facility at WWOS in addition to what is already there. With Worlds and D2 Summit also needing weekends at WWOS....plus the logistics of Easter, Mothers Day holidays....when would it even be? Where did the "remove Youth divisions from Summit" rumor originate?

Why would they remove youth? That doesn't even make logical sense. They are getting ready to open an entirely new facility at WWOS in addition to what is already there. With Worlds and D2 Summit also needing weekends at WWOS....plus the logistics of Easter, Mothers Day holidays....when would it even be? Where did the "remove Youth divisions from Summit" rumor originate?

It was being talked about at this past seasons Summit by coaches and others there. The talk that we heard had no metion of adding an additional end of season event specifically for these teams. Only talk was of limiting the age group of teams attending to Junior and Senior only for Summit. Obviously it did not happen this season. U.S. Finals has been on the decline since the implementation of Summit. Making it the only Varsity end of season event for youth teams could help in boosting attendance at these events if it were the only option. While I am not saying I am for or against this idea (I don't coach youth age so no dog in the fight) in theory this concept could help limit the number of families priced out of the sport at the younger age groups since US Finals offers multiple locations that could limit the amount of travel, and with only being one day not as much school missed. The reality is that in makes sense in theory but dropping youth from Summit would just further increase the size of the already HUGE junior divisions at the event.

A separate Summit for Youth levels 1-5? Golly, I hope not :eek:

We were actually chatting about the new bid declarations at practice this week and an all Youth Summit seem to be be cool with most and it wasn't even me who tossed that out there... lol

Am I reading it wrong? The only guarantee that I see for youth is wildcard bids. I see that each level will be awarded bids, but it is still hard for youth to outscore junior and senior teams.

At the Varsity Conference this year they clarified that 3 paids means one will go to youth, one will go to junior, and one will go to senior. Even if there is only 1 eligible youth team, they will get it (I specifically asked if there was grey area....they said no).

In my opinion that means that more youth teams will be getting paid.

For my little PNW corner, I actually see my chances of our Y2 being higher at getting paid than getting an at-large bid. We only have to beat the few D1 Youth teams in the area in to get paid versus having to get grand champs of level 2 to get an at-large.

At the Varsity Conference this year they clarified that 3 paids means one will go to youth, one will go to junior, and one will go to senior. Even if there is only 1 eligible youth team, they will get it (I specifically asked if there was grey area....they said no).

I agree if one paid bid at every 2 day comp (3 paid/5 at large) is going to a youth team I think that definitely means more paid youth bids.

For my little PNW corner, I actually see my chances of our Y2 being higher at getting paid than getting an at-large bid. We only have to beat the few D1 Youth teams in the area in to get paid versus having to get grand champs of level 2 to get an at-large.
Nothing against your team, but I do not like declarations that a team gets paid due to division. That's how it was for international teams and Worlds sometime. A team 10 places behind us over all got the $ over us.

Last edited:
Are 4.2 teams going to be at a disadvantage being scored against 5 and 5R for bids?

Are 4.2 teams going to be at a disadvantage being scored against 5 and 5R for bids?
In my experience I think it's actually a disadvantage to the 5 and 5R, especially when talking tumbling technique scores. In all probability a lot of the jr5R and sr5R are athletes that are just mastering spinning and certainly don't have years of competiting fulls under their belts, which might be the case with tumbling on 4.2. Quite a few girls I know on 4.2 teams remain for years and have very good technique from doing the same level tumbling for an extended period of time.

In my experience I think it's actually a disadvantage to the 5 and 5R, especially when talking tumbling technique scores. In all probability a lot of the jr5R and sr5R are athletes that are just mastering spinning and certainly don't have years of competiting fulls under their belts, which might be the case with tumbling on 4.2. Quite a few girls I know on 4.2 teams remain for years and have very good technique from doing the same level tumbling for an extended period of time.
i also felt like 4.2 had a big advantage when they were against level 4 teams for bids - lot easier to just have handsprings to worry about, when level 4 teams have so much more tumbling to do.

This topic is interesting and what I took away from it was that with them limiting Youth Paid opportunities could there be another event "split" For example there is already a D1 and D2 Summit and Worlds is exclusive to Level 5, IOC, and 6 right now and the international division is growing each season, heck they may have to eventually carve them out too...LOL But could there possibly be a "Youth" Summit on the horizon? I would imagine it would become it's own entity like Pop Warner cheerleading except an All Star version maybe? IDK

Hey, just wondering where you found that they were limiting youth bids? Was that something in writing or have i just not realized something?

Back